• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Pitsford Street

smashing photo carolina..i think it could also be on the icknield st thread...times ive walked through there with our mom

lyn

I walked beneath that very long - to a youngster - bridge a few times when on my way with an aunt to visit a family grave at Key Hill. It would have been on a Saturday (no school) and the return journey was often a visit to the faggots and peas shop opposite Spring Hill library. This was a treat in a way as no similar places existed anywhere near my home. ;)
The tunnel/bridge was exciting really: it was dark, the street lights were on and the lorries and buses engine noise seemed very loud.

Saw these steps on Pitsford Street behind a gate. Did they go up to the ex Hockley Station? Just an industrial estate up there now.

Last month I saw this mural from the other side of Icknield Street.

hi ell ive always assumed that the steps led to the old station...nice to see the mural has not been defaced..think its been there for about 2 years

lyn

There seems to be no sign of the steps on the 1951 map , which also shows that station is some distance away. So guess the steps are a modern construction
map c 1955 corner pitsford st snd icknield st.jpg

The steps lead up to another, cul-de-sac, section of Pitsford Street. As Ell Brown remarks it is an industrial area and is named Hockley after the former railway goods yard. Lyn mentions this in an earlier post (27) plus the very pleasing designs in the new retaining walls. I presume it is a large, well seen design, to save anyone wanting the place, when travelling along Icknield Street from the Spring Hill direction, of passing it and ending up in the Hockley area.
I do like the arch designs in the brick work in the roads in that area - someone gave the history aspect of the place some consideration when it was redeveloped. Often these things are missed as it is 'new comers' to the area that are often instrumental in the planning and it is only, quite frequently, after someone more familiar with an areas history, raises issues with press and tv that a more sympathetic scheme is drawn up.

There was a gate in front of those steps. Couldn't see a padlock, so wonder if they were used in the past few decades?

I also walked past Park Road South and saw a blocked off ramp.

Street map view below.

Park Rd North.jpg

The mention of gates reminded me that I had seen gates at the entrance to the cul-de-sac. It might have been part of the re-development, even an insurance requirement, but I am sure a determined person, on foot, would find many ways into the area.

upload_2018-2-24_15-24-52.png

Demolition near Jewellery Quarter Station for a site near Pitsford Street. They will build apartments here called Hockley Mills.

Old Victorian arches now more visible.

Not quite all gone the old buildings.

Arches could be opened up.

snap ell :) i was down there a few days ago taking pics from the station platform...not got round to posting them yet...ive been reading the planning permission application which is very long...not read it all yet but it seems there are plans to retain at least one of the tunnels and turn it into a gym..

lyn

Last edited:
Saw it heading towards Stourbridge Junction but was on the wrong side of the train, took these on the train back to Birmingham. Any history of those arches former use?

That mentions the Drive Thru near Hall Green Station. Crane on site today. Clearance works were going on during the past week. KFC I think I've heard.

Got a couple more photos from Jewellery Quarter Station this afternoon of Hockley Hills. From the top level before exiting.

Weeds etc growing above the Victorian arches.

This December 2017 view was more for the snow, but this building is now gone.

Again for the snow. But the building at the bottom is now rubble.

Back