• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pinfold House Mansfield Road Yardley

in response to gordonbrown post... Pinfold house has not been purchased by a private developer, the adjoining out buildingshavePinfold house itself has been purchased by a private individual who is renovating it for use as a FAMILY HOME.

many local people etc have taken an interest in what is going on at Pinfold House as they see scaffolding, building work, people in and out of the property and whilst the owner welcomed anyone with an interest in looking around the place and discussing its history it has now got to the point wherby some "visitors" have decided that the work being done is not allowed ( ie should not be happening !) .. this results in hours lost whilst the owner then has to deal with these people and as a consequence representatives of birmingham City Council , Police and Fire services call on the owner so he can prove he owns the property .. !! . For the record ENGLISH HERITAGE are involved in this renovation and the owner knows exactly what can/can't be done .
As for the oak beams from th sailing ships .. unfortunately many of those were either lost or damaged as a result of the LOCAL YOBS who set fire to the house in 2008 and 2009 ... pity Neighbouthoold watch scheme wasn't so active on those two occasions !!

In reply to the last post the source of my infomation was from one of the garage owners who had a premises on the site. As for the neibourhood watch I left there 12 years ago so it may have demised after I left. The story about the sailing ship timber beams came from the site History of Birmingham Place names under the heading South Yardley.

In reply to the last post the source of my infomation was from one of the garage owners who had a premises on the site. As for the neibourhood watch I left there 12 years ago so it may have demised after I left. The story about the sailing ship timber beams came from the site History of Birmingham Place names under the heading South Yardley.
In reply to everyone who is interested in pinfold house I am the new owner and if anyone has any photos of the back of the house how it used to be I would be very interested in having a look as I want to put it back to its original state. just post them on the site.

Hi Lingard.
I will get in touch with Malcolm Leonard who's mom was the last person living there, he will have some pictures i'm sure

My great grandmother, Mary Mansfield, 1830 -1910, was brought up on Pinfold farm. On marrying Richard Mayou she moved next door to Field Gate Farm then to the Mayou family farm at Sheldon. I see that 1841 census has Thomas Mansfield,his wife, 4 sibs and 2 servants. 1837 tithe shows that Thomas owned 64 acres in Yardley. I have a needlework panel by Mary Mansfield dated 1845 and with anote on frame "Yardley Ladies College".
I would be interested to know more of Mansfield family and Pinfold farm (and indeed the Mayou family of Sheldon, Coleshill etc.)

I found this Mary Mansfield with a Two Mayou visitors on the 1851 Census

Mary Sarah MANSFIELD Head W 45 F Freehold Farmer 50/60 Acres Empl 2 Occas Labs Ink Berrow-Wor
Mary MANSFIELD Daur U 18 F Dressmaker At Home Yardley-Wor
Elizabeth MANSFIELD Daur U 15 F At Home Yardley-Wor
Thomas MAYOW Vist W 31 M Guard To London & North Western Railway Sheldon-War
Richard MAYOW Lodg U 32 M Malster Sheldon-War
Thomas SAUL Serv U 33 M Servant Of All Work ----Nk
George HIVENS Serv U 24 M Waggoner (Ag) Long Compton-War
Thomas Henry PRINT Serv - 14 M Waggoner Lad Etc (Ag) Triddington-Wor
George FARLOW Serv - 10 M Scholar & Errand Boy Yardley-Wor
Louisa HARFORD Lodg - 9 F Scholar Birmingham-War
Address: Near Yardley Tunnel, ---
Census Place: Yardley Solihull, Warwickshire
PRO Reference: HO/107/2071 Folio: 50 Page: 11 FHL Film: 0087335

Last edited:
Thank you. The tithe maps and apportionments and masses of other information are on the Website of the Acocks Green History Society.

hi bilsat this is lingard from pinfold house. you said you could get in touch with malcolm leonard, have you managed to do so? there are a few questions i would like to ask him about the house.

Hi Lingard.
I have spoken to Malcolm a few weeks ago and he said he would look for any old picures. I told him about this website and the interest in the house but he is too upset about what happened to the house after it was originally sold and the way it was neglected and doesn't want to be involved. I will keep on trying.
Pete

In reply to everyone who is interested in pinfold house I am the new owner and if anyone has any photos of the back of the house how it used to be I would be very interested in having a look as I want to put it back to its original state. just post them on the site.
Hello Lingard, have just joined this forum because of my interest in Pinfold House. I am thrilled to see that you are making progress with the restoration. My ancesters lived there from probably the 1700's until 1955 when my grandparents both died. It was sold to Roger Leonard along with the adjoining property which would now have been described as an indusrial estate. I have some interesting photographs and stories I would like to share with you. I have very clear memories of the house in the early '50's before the Leonards bought it and made alterations for the first time in centuries. I will follow this up with some snippets on the forum.

Welcome to BHF Mansfield-Huntley. Any photos & stories on Pinfold House & its residents will be much appreciated here on the forum.

Thank you Bordesley Exile for welcoming me onboard, I trust we can refresh the interest in this subject. I am hoping that Lingard joins in and I can arrange a meeting to fill in some of the history. I have enclosed a few photo's for starters.
The first picture was about 1954 when my grandparents still lived there, the car in the picture is a Jowett Javelin. The barn next to the house was then a Jowett car dealership and garage, I feel sure that the proprieter was Roger Leonard. He bought the house and all the adjoining land & comercial buildings in 1955 after my grandparents had both died.
The second was mid 60's when I attended a family funeral, the Triumph Herald in the picture was mine. I reintroduced myself to Mrs Leonard and she welcomed me back & kindly gave me a tour of the house.
The third pic was 2003 when I came for a nostalgic tour of my old haunts. I have lived in Pershore, Worcs since 1955 and have a wife, grownup children & grandchildren.
The fourth was probably taken before I was born, looking up Yardley Road from Pinfold House ( Farm! )
The fifth, just for a laugh is me taken in the hall at Pinfold Farm in 1954. The clock has long since gone but I know where the mechanism is buried!!
That's all this time, but I will post some more of the hose and garden next time.View attachment 69648View attachment 69655View attachment 69656View attachment 69657View attachment 69658

Thank you so much for treating us to those photos, M-F. I'll look forward to the next instalment. I do think that clock mechanisms can be very attractive in their own right, but goodness knows what state that one is in!

Thanks B E, I appreciate your replies and hope we can bring this subject back to life. I'll pop up a few more pictures showing the rear of Pinfold House and see if Lingard responds! I will continue the numbering so that they can be easily identified.
No 6 A picture from the family archives that pre dates me.
No 7 Another one which is exactly the same as it appeared in 1955.
No 8 A picture supplied by the Leonards when they started alterations, late '50's. Note the big chimney removed or reduced and flat roof & window. I imagine the fireplace was removed, The large pear tree was very mature in the '50's is it still there?
I've had to type this out twice 'cause I pressed the wrong button so I'll quit while I am ahead! atb. View attachment 69707View attachment 69708View attachment 69709

I am following this with great interest, MH. Thank you for taking the trouble to share these pictures. You might be interested in the listing:

Thank you for the interest shown in Pinfold House especially the photos which we found very interesting. The pear tree is still in the garden and full of pears at the moment. A special thanks to the lady who bought round the Tales of Pinfold Farm which was very inertesting. When the house is safer inside we will be inviting her round to have a look. I tried to upload some recent photos be can't seem to do it at the moment so will try again soon.

Back