• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Pineapple tarts

They used to be my favorites in the 60s made by Bradfords by West Broms Football Ground, Then Braggs/Gregs. As you say Marks and Sparks arnt nearly as good.

When I first left school I worked for Owens garage in Rubery but lived in Rednal no bus line so had to walk,
Me mum owned a grocery store and every morning we had the fresh bread delivered, Mothers Pride, Hawley's most morning the bread was still warm, along with the bread we had small tarts and cakes delivered from a company call Powell's ( C. E. Powell ? ),
The little pineapple tarts along with strawberry tarts with fresh cream in little foil pan were a summer time fav.
After making the delivery at mum's his next stop was in Rubery Village and if I was up I could catch a ride, he drove a moggy van with shelves in the whole rear and on all the shelves were those bakers trays full of tarts and fancy little cakes, he would say "get ya self some breakfast son", so every time I rode with him you all know what I chose.
So the best part if we did not sell all the fresh tarts and that we had them for after tea (evening meal ), so when I got home from work I would some times hide a couple of pineapple tarts so I could eat tarts for breakfast and tea.

Pineapple Creams . . . . surely they were Wimbush treats!
Thank you Nigel pineapple creams !!, I tried to search for Powells the problem for me I live in the states so all the search engines always want to show US results along with some from England, and never put UK in a search engine in America we have a university here in Kentucky that rules.

For some reason I have come back to the Forum tonight for a peek and now find my mouth watering. Being up in Yorkshire with no family left in Birmingham there is no reason for me to return. Nearer than USA! However, I am now armed with knowledge and on the trail.

I think I've seen these in Waitrose, but can't be sure. What I have seen there are blackcurrant tarts (Auntie used to buy them from M& S in the 60s and 70s), which were a layer of blackcurrant on the tart base, then a small circle of sponge on top, which was surrounded by butter cream, or some type of cream.

I think I've seen these in Waitrose, but can't be sure. What I have seen there are blackcurrant tarts (Auntie used to buy them from M& S in the 60s and 70s), which were a layer of blackcurrant on the tart base, then a small circle of sponge on top, which was surrounded by butter cream, or some type of cream.
When we visited our Nans house in Manchester in the fifties we always had a black currant tart from a cake shop named Wimbush (I think) they tasted wonderful especially the imitation cream.

My mum used to buy them every Friday from the co-op in Buklands end lane . my treat of the week ,yum

Still available at Robinsons bakery in Hill Top, West Bromwich, i have 4 of them in the fridge right now, simular shape to the egg custards, not the flatter style they used to be

Still available at Robinsons bakery in Hill Top, West Bromwich, i have 4 of them in the fridge right now, simular shape to the egg custards, not the flatter style they used to be
Do they still have green sprinkles on top ,my mouth is watering

Jeannie, both Iceland and Waitrose still do them but no green sprinkles I'm afraid!

Attachments

• Mcghees Pineapple tarts Iceland.jpg
    Mcghees Pineapple tarts Iceland.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 12
Back