• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Pineapple Infants (Kings Heath)

B

badger

This was at the bottom of Allens Croft road and I remember the head was Mr Beresford, and there was an annex to the school at hazelwell parish church hall on vicarage road.

I will try and dig some pics out

Havn't found pics yet, but I passed it today...........and it wasn't there....Its been pulled down and a modern childrens centre built on the site.

Badger, they have changed the name as well it's now Allens Croft School

Colin

Would you believe this...............I was in a garden centre the other week, with the other half (she who must be obeyed) and I notice one of the female assistants gave me a couple of glances.............now although I'm quite used to that.....(in my dreams) i thought it odd.

About 10 minutes later she approached me and said "didn't you go to the same school as me"..........whereupon I retorted.........."I don't think so.....I was at a boys school"

"No".......she said "I think you were, we were in the same class at Pineapple school, you havn't changed a bit"

I was gob smacked..............I was at that school about 1953 aged 7
and to be frank............well I don't look the same...............how on earth did she recognise me?

I have found some pictures out of the fancy dress competition at the school for the coronation (yes we were allowed to 'Compete in those days).

I'll add them here when I get home tonite.

Hi Badger
I went to Pineapple 1961-65 and remember Mr Beresford very well, he tried to talk my mom & dad out of withdrawing me from the school when we moved to Druids Heath. I also remember his deputy Mr Ross....He used to scare me to death.

Bob56

Hi Bob

Dont remember Mr Ross....but here's a pic of my class. Must be around 1960/61 Are you there??

(that's me bottom left)

Hi Badger

I,m afraid I,m not in the photo but I think my eldest brother Leonard is ( 3rd from left, top row)
The photo is captioned c1955 which would be right on the button for my brother being in the group.

Bob

Do you know, I cant name a single person in that group. It could be 1955, that would make me 7......do I look about 7??

Hard to say, but I but I would hazard a guess that the picture is certainly pre 60,s

Bob

Hi Bob and Badger: I was just visiting the Friends Reunited site to look for my old school badge and had a look at the site for Pineapple Infants. There are a lot of members on that site. You can find it at www.friendsreunited.co.uk.It's free to join this site these days.

I went to Pineapple from 1961 together with my twin sister Wendy she was the clever one and was always in the top class mr jones and mr Ross's class .I remember mr Waugh miss Thomas miss Smith miss Braid.Rememember the school trips on Allenways coaches especially to Tookeys farm.I remember having the cane from mr Beresford for just climbing on a wall to look at a birds nest.Remember the old air raid shelters at the front and back of the school very dark and errie.
In my current job i deliver presentations to schoolchildren across the West Midlands and I know they have some old pictures in the archives in the new school will ask next time i,m there.Happy memories of Pineapple especially sports day at Dawberry fields the sack race,egg and spoon and the bean bag race and playing for the football team happy memories of a great school

Hi Terry

I remember the shelters very well, I lost a couple of Dinky cars in one but wasn,t brave enough to go back in & retrieve them. Was the aviary on the left as you walked past the main building to get to the playgrounds?

Bob Pickard

yes Bob near the aviary there was a door leading to where the toilets and cloakrooms were situated.
Do you remember we used to make trays using cane it always makes me smile when i see one we had to soak the cane so it would bend.
Mr Ross wasn't to bad mr waugh used to frighten me loved miss Braid and miss Thomas can't think of her married name.
Yes those shelters, at the time we never knew what they were but i bet they hold some memories
Take care Terry

Hi Terry

I can honestly say that Mr Waugh frightened the life out of me also,He smacked my backside with a plimsoll in front of the whole class one day for not doing my homework properly,I never forgave him for that!
Do you remember any of our classmates names? I can recall the following;

Colin Beach
David Jackman
David Shelton
Bryan Wood
David Bunce
Victor Worthington
Shiela Ashton
Pauline Scally
Theresa Roberts

I,ll try & remember some others at a later date I,ve got to go now cos The Blues are on the box

Bob

HI Bob also a bluenose never looked like winning.
names i remember
JOHN PROSSER
ROGER HASSAM
VAUGHAN WINTERS
PHIL WORKMAN
BOBBY WILLAMS
SALLY REZVOF
JOHN LENNON
IAN HEMUS
KEVIN FRANKLIN
JANET MOORE
UP THE BLUES TERRY

Pineapple infants
As an 11year old my Father in Law in 1935 was asked to mark the schools celebrations of the Silver Jubilee of King George v. by planting a Silver birch tree.
We understand that the site has been redeveloped but he would love to know if the tree is still alive,and possibly make a visit. Would anyone know if it is still there ?
Thank You.

I'm only a nipper...was there from about 1964. I remember Mr Beresford and Mr Ross. There was a Mrs Bailey, Mrs Webb and a Mr Duffy. Anyone remember Piggy Lane and the Ash Path by the playing field at Dawberry.

Hi I'm head teacher at Allens croft nursery school and. Children's centre now newly built on the Pineapple school site.I would be very happy to help find your tree! And hope it is still somewhere on site , lots of the trees were preserved ! Please contact me via this thread thanks Laura brodie

Thank you Laura I have e mailed you.
Hi I'm head teacher at Allens croft nursery school and. Children's centre now newly built on the Pineapple school site.I would be very happy to help find your tree! And hope it is still somewhere on site , lots of the trees were preserved ! Please contact me via this thread thanks Laura brodie

I was there from Sep 1970 to Jul 1976. Remember summer afternoons spent in the playing fields (they were fenced off with cast iron raillings then - now it's just common land). I remember Headmaster Mr. Adams and deputy Mr. Ross (Nasty man - I remember once a group of angry mothers beating him up!). Teachers Mrs Learpin , Mrs Bristow, miss Burton miss Henry, mrs Radford. We had an ever changing cast of supply or trainee teachers around 72 -73. Mr Istead was firm but fair.
I'm just trying to remember some of my class mates:

Susanne Tiernan, Wendy Woodcock, Diane Pritchard, Sarah James, Christine Bagshaw, Maxine Duncan Amanda Bown Mark Greenway Marcus Farnsworth Terry Larkin Steve Jones Martin McGann Brian Lane Peter Hancock Paul Hancox Paul Webber Annette Keeley Brendan Kelly.

Memories of the air raid shelters the outside toilets the bike shelter (!!) school dinners (which I had for one day and vowed never again - it was revolting) plenty more memories for another time

Hi Laura I went to Pineapple school from about 1961-1962 my name is Edwin Wright I would be interested if you have any photo's of me at school.
I do family history and I am trying to collect material for my personal life story,I have had such a a filling life its been good and bad.
I would be grateful if you can help, I am nearly 70 now so have a lot to do,I think Susan Fields was in my class,although she was younger than me,I was waiting to go to senior school
many thanks Edwin Wright

Hi Laura
Could you tell me if you are still at Allenscroft? I went to the school when it was pineapple school from 1968 to 1978. At some point they had a design a shield for the school competition and I was one of the winners. Have they still got the old shield at all as I would love a photo of it? TIA Alison

Back