• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pineapple Bridge

Great site I just came across it...if I dont know anyone from here I'll eat my hat....I remember miss yerrington from Pineapple school

Anyone remember Piggy Lane and the Ash Path at the back of Pineapple School.
I played a few games of football for Pineapple School on Dawberry Fields.
I remember it very well. Back in the late 60s and 70s they were the school playing fields and were fenced of with wrough iron railings. Piggy Lane between the ash path and Dawberry Fields Road used to flood quite badly. It's all common land now and the railings have gone.

Hi, I used to live at 327 Vicarage Road in the mid 1950’s to about 1960, when we had to move out due to the impending demolition of the prefabs. (A cluster of 6). Compared to the terraced house in Dawlish Road that we had moved from, our prefab was an absolute palace! It even had an Anderson shelter in the garden that I used as a den.
I was only about 6 or 7 years old and attended Colmore Road Infants and Junior School.
One of my favourite pastimes was to go train spotting at the Pineapple railway bridge where it adjoined Fordhouse Lane. I also used to run around with my mates in Reeves Road ‘Little Park', the waste ground at the end of Millbrook Close that ran up to the backs of the houses on Kings Road (and the ‘Radio’ factory), and of course around the fields at the top of the clay pit – sometimes actually down into the pit to catch newts and frogs in the ponds there.
There used to be a row of shops along the top of Allens Croft and the Pineapple Island. I can’t remember the Dry Cleaner’s name (Martins?), but this was next to The Hazelwell Fish & Chip Shop, Fred Wood’s Radio & TV shop, Sadlers newspapers, sweets, cigarettes etc, then a hardware shop, with a wool & knitting shop right at the end of the row. I used to love doing errands using my ‘soapbox’ trolley to call at one of these shops.
When I was about 11 or 12 years old I used to do a paper-round, collecting my newspapers from Adnams the Newsagents/Tobacconists that used to be on the corner of Allens Croft and Hill Croft Road. I think 12/6d a week was the best paying round that I did, but that was the morning and evening deliveries Mon-Sat, plus Sunday morning!
My mates and I also used to visit the rubber factory (Capon Heatons) at the bottom of the Fordrough to scavenge rubber brake blocks etc from the stuff that they chucked out. Occasionally we would also go to the Saturday morning ABC Minors shows at the Pavilion, or Savoy Cinemas – for 3 old pence you could scream your head off at the baddies for an hour or two! If we felt exceptionally bored we’d have an expedition to Lifford Lane ’Rezzer’ (Reservoir) or have a walk along the Grand Union cut by John Sturge’s limestone processing factory, where we would maybe try our luck at tiddler fishing.

Aaah – the good old days!!!

Last edited:
Hi, I used to live at 327 Vicarage Road in the mid 1950’s to about 1960, when we had to move out due to the impending demolition of the prefabs. (A cluster of 6). Compared to the terraced house in Dawlish Road that we had moved from, our prefab was an absolute palace! It even had an Anderson shelter in the garden that I used as a den.
I was only about 6 or 7 years old and attended Colmore Road Infants and Junior School.
One of my favourite pastimes was to go train spotting at the Pineapple railway bridge where it adjoined Fordhouse Lane. I also used to run around with my mates in Reeves Road ‘Little Park', the waste ground at the end of Millbrook Close that ran up to the backs of the houses on Kings Road (and the ‘Radio’ factory), and of course around the fields at the top of the clay pit – sometimes actually down into the pit to catch newts and frogs in the ponds there.
There used to be a row of shops along the top of Allens Croft and the Pineapple Island. I can’t remember the Dry Cleaner’s name (Martins?), but this was next to The Hazelwell Fish & Chip Shop, Fred Wood’s Radio & TV shop, Sadlers newspapers, sweets, cigarettes etc, then a hardware shop, with a wool & knitting shop right at the end of the row. I used to love doing errands using my ‘soapbox’ trolley to call at one of these shops.
When I was about 11 or 12 years old I used to do a paper-round, collecting my newspapers from Adnams the Newsagents/Tobacconists that used to be on the corner of Allens Croft and Hill Croft Road. I think 12/6d a week was the best paying round that I did, but that was the morning and evening deliveries Mon-Sat, plus Sunday morning!
My mates and I also used to visit the rubber factory (Capon Heatons) at the bottom of the Fordrough to scavenge rubber brake blocks etc from the stuff that they chucked out. Occasionally we would also go to the Saturday morning ABC Minors shows at the Pavilion, or Savoy Cinemas – for 3 old pence you could scream your head off at the baddies for an hour or two! If we felt exceptionally bored we’d have an expedition to Lifford Lane ’Rezzer’ (Reservoir) or have a walk along the Grand Union cut by John Sturge’s limestone processing factory, where we would maybe try our luck at tiddler fishing.

Aaah – the good old days!!!
Great memories! I lived off Fordhouse Lane from 1954 and went to Pineapple School. Remember the Saturday morning "flicks" and trips to Lifford Reservoir. Spent hours at the tip nearby finding wheels for soapboxes - my DIY skills were never very good so they didn't last long - normally the end of the street before they collapsed! I remember highlight of the School Holidays was riding on the top deck of the Number 11 all the way around the outer circle route!!

Hi Colin I have just started an online forum for Stirchley, and my wife has posted a topic she recalles my father talking about, before he passed away, https://stirchley.co.uk/onlineforum/index.php?topic=27.msg85#msg85 She also remembers him telling her there were bunks either side three high,
Mick Stirchley
Iv recently been looking into my family history and it would have been my nans brother and sister that we’re 2 Of those killed in the blast Alice and Thomas orme. I would love to find out more information regardling the bunks but I know this post is quite old now!

Attachments

• A842CB89-B849-462E-988E-648128262A30.jpeg
    A842CB89-B849-462E-988E-648128262A30.jpeg
    362.9 KB · Views: 17
I was married to a girl from Waldron's Moor and we had our reception in the community hall in Dawberry Road in March 1964. My Mother in Law was a Dinner Lady at Pineapple School.

Back