• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Pilgrim Dr

Re: Dr Pilgrim

Hi Sue,

Dr Winston Pilgrim was my doctor in the 1950s. His surgery was on the corner of Chester Road with Tyburn Road., Pype Hayes He was a West Indian''

Old Boy

I dont suppose you remember a Nurse Mobbs as well? or Mabbs

Hi Sue,

Dr Pilgrim did have a nurse but I cannot remember her name or even what she looked like. Incidentally he was a wonderful man and good doctor.

Old Boy

Hello Sue,
Wow I am very new to this site and have found some amazing memories. I was scanning through and found an old message from you RE; Dr.Pilgrim. He was our family doctor. It was not very often that he came to the house but when he did my Mother got out the best china to make him a cup of tea. It must have been much easier to get a home visit in the 1950's anad he was treated like royalty. He was a lovely man.
I was born at our home in Woodlands Farm Road, Erdington in 1943 and lived there until I was 17 years old then left home for my work.
Best wishes. Pam

Hi Pam, Thanks for replying to my thread. Do you remember the name of his nurse? Was he married or single - anything else you can remember about him would be good to know. Best wishes Sue

Yes, our family doctor too. He lived at 'Wyncelle' in Wylde Green Road, Walmley. ('Wyncelle' is an old timber framed house that was dismantled and moved from Wiggins Hill Road, Minworth/Wishaw!!)

When we lived in Tyburn Road our doctor was a Dr Pilgrim. He worked from a house a few doors away towards the junction with Bromford Lane. His ethnicity was Afro Caribbean. Is this the same one? I remember him as a very nice man, except on one occasion when I fell off a horse on to cobbles and sprained my wrist. Mom took me round to see him and he waggled my wrist about saying, "good, it's not broken". All the while I was screaming! But, as I said, he was a really good guy.

1066 Chester Road, corner Tyburn Road is the only surgery I attended. Yes, he was a 'coloured' man, nowadays they'd have said he was black.

Back