• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Pikelets Vs Crumpets

Everyone's right!........from the Oxford ENGLISH dictionary

A pikelet is.....

• noun, a thin kind of crumpet. — ORIGIN from Welsh bara pyglyd ‘pitchy bread’

In otherwords a pikelet is a crumpet!

If, for point of discussion we say the one with the holes in, is both a Pikelet and a Crumpet. Then what do you call the one without holes in it? You can't call it a Pikelet or a crumpet because those terms have already been applied to the one with the holes. Nope it don't work. Pikelets = holes. Crumpets = no holes.

If, for point of discussion we say the one with the holes in, is both a Pikelet and a Crumpet. Then what do you call the one without holes in it? You can't call it a Pikelet or a crumpet because those terms have already been applied to the one with the holes. Nope it don't work. Pikelets = holes. Crumpets = no holes.

It's a muffin. Very nice cut in two, toasted with bacon and cheese. Heart attack waiting to happen. Delicious.

Sorry but I could never called them anything else but Pikelets. That's what me Mom and Dad called them and that's good enough for me
3.gif

My family always called them pickelets thats all I have ever known them as. They are the ones with the holes. I have lovely memories of toasting them over our fire in the grate using a toasting fork my brother made at school in metalwork!.....happy days!

Down here in Texas we don'nt get many chances of buying piklets...only english muffins which is nothing like a picklet....and only a week ago went to a luncheon and a gal from New Zealand made a plate of picklets which to me was more like small pancakes, so there you are everyone has a different name for a picklet....to me it will always be PIKLET,...wish l had some now to toast and put oogles of butter on yummy...Brenda

She who must be obeyed who comes from Sheffield says "Pikelets from Sheffield are made from Wheat Flour with a little Oat Flour, cooked on a girdle a flat very hot pan. They are small and flatter than a crumpet but do have holes in them." Having had both I can say that the Southern Crumpet is larger than the Northern Pikelet but The Brum Pikelet is a Crumpet :)

I had crumpets with soft cheese for lunch today, haven't had them for a while, it reminded me of this chat we haad about them, I logged in and its the first thing I see,

I bought some today, never had them with cheese, but might just give them a go. Bovril is my favourite, but I call them pikelets anyway................

Back