• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Pikelet (piklet) Dealer

Brummiebell

master brummie
Does anyone know what this occupation involved as my G.Grandmother was apparentley one on the 1891 census. Many thanks Maria

May I suggest that your great grandmother purchased something very similar to what are more commonly called today "crumpets" from a bakery and then either sold them to the general public or possibly distributed them among shopkeepers. "Piklet" is usually written "pikelet". Best wishes, David

Hello there, Mike,
It took me quite some time to compose my post - I'd be the last person in the world to reopen the lengthy and sometimes heated debate on whether it's a pikelet or a crumpet. There are already two or three threads on the Forum dedicated to this topic. I tried to express myself in the most diplomatically correct way I could. Sorry if I offended ...... David

PS Those bought in Brum were pikelet to my family as well !!! Best wishes, D.;)

Hi David, I think you are correct about Rebecca's profession as one of the wonderful contributors on this forum has just found me a census for her and she is described as a Pikelet not Picklet Dealer, she was I belive Illiterate so it may well have been recorded incorrectley. The nearest I could get was something to do with straps from weaving looms so I think she would more likely to have been a street trader. Thank you so much, afraid I call them Crumpets too Best wishes Maria

I've just caught up with this thread, and it raised a big smile with me because on another thread that My wife runs, there is a battle (friendly) raging about what these things are called.
Being a true Brummie we have always called then PIKELETS in my family, however, my wife being of Lincolnshire lineage always calls them CRUMPETS.
But there is a difference between PIKELETS & CRUMPETS.
Both are made of exactly the same ingredients, CRUMPETS are cooked within a circular metal band giving them the depth and definite edge, PIKELETS are simply made by spreading the mixture on a griddle and letting the mixture spread out giving it a much larger surface, but very thin.
I hope this explains the difference OK.

https://uk.ask.com/question/what-are-pikelets

Another explanation I've just found is as follows-- A CRUMPET is a thick PIKELET and a PIKELET is a thin CRUMPET.

Only just noticed this thread, I remember the pikelet man coming up Lower Tower St every Sunday afternoon in the 1940s with his cart. We would then rush inside and toast them in front of the fire with a long toasting fork. Great memories. Dave

I agree with Maurice. They are delicious whatever the name. I also got caught out when I first came to Norfolk. I now know that a pikelet is a crumpet and a crumpet is a pikelet.

I would be interested to learn what the supermarkets in Brum call them. Eddie

Back