• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Piggot Street

Hi Steve
My age is slightly older I am 71 but my brothers and sisters the Tosh,s are all around your age Pat is 66 Irene 65 John 64
Hi Skid, like I thought you are around 5 years older, that's a big difference when your 6/7 years old. What number did you live at.steve

Hi Skid, like I thought you are around 5 years older, that's a big difference when your 6/7 years old. What number did you live at.steve

Steve
I lived at 44 Pigott St last house before Owen St on the left going up the hill - Family known as Tosh's

I lived for a short while in Piggot st and went to school there for about 3 mths The war put paid to that though Cheers Old Brummy

You must have lived opposite 44 Pigott St or close to-My friends Raymond Walker and Michael Lloyd lived on your side of the road -did you know them?

Bill Marks(known as Tosh sometimes)

Hi Bill, Michael Lloyd here, just found this site, glad to see that your still around. Im struggling to put a face to your name, we had great times when we were kids, especially when Mr Gazey took us on this old motorbike and side car to the allotment. Also can you remember Johnny Baker and Jimmy Wilson who lived in Owen Street?

re: pigott street and mrl

Johnny Baker is alive and well! He remembers Michael Lloyd. Were you old friends or just knew each other from school etc?

Hy steve lived at 1 back of ninteen name of dawsontony lesley roger my memory s
Are not so good tin baths no kichen or hot water outside toilets but whe wher happy

my name is lesley nee dawson/i lived at 2 /20pigott st then up the yard 4/21i remember your family maureen was my friend we were always up the roads u mentioned scrumping apples andpicking flowersfor our moms usually with your siblings in tow i have so many memories to share but am new to this ,had so much hassle logging inplease please reply if u get this my user name is lesley chinery

irember u michael my name was lesley dawson welived 2/20 pigott st brothers peter tony and roger i have fond memories of when we were all kids names and past times would be nice to remonise lesley

steve we were next door neighbours in pigott st my name then was lesley dawson we lived 2/20 then moved further up the yard to 4/21 then the hogans were your next door neighbours you may remember my younger brother roger he would be around your age then me tony and peter who sadly died i recall all the peaple you mentioned and remember so many more please if you will please get back to me lesley

i am only just familiarising myself to b/ham history .i lived in pigott st forties and fifties maiden name lesley dawson lived 2/20 then 4/21top of yard so many names i n people i can recall if anyone would like to get in touch

Hi Tony, although I don't remember you or your family, your sister tells me we lived next door to each other, we lived at 3/21. Talking to Lesley the last couple of days, she remembers my mom and dad and my gran who used to visit us from Bristol. We went to live in Stirchley after pigott St, then when I married I lived in Eardington, solihull lodge, burntwood, lichfield, Murcia in Spain and now back to lichfield.
I worked at Ansells brewery for 29 years before taking early retirement and a pension at the age of 50. I am now 67. Lesley tells me she has a photo of myself and my brother Terry which I would love to see some day. Speak soon Steve.

I lived at 1/41 Piggot street with my parents and nan (caves) was 11 when we moved up to the lickeys in 1963 - mom hated it said it was so much colder than town - I remember the Tosh family think they lived in next yard to us - I went to st Thomas school - used to love roller skating outside the fruit and veg shop Wilkes

Hi Diane, good to hear from people who lived in Pigott street although I don't remember you because we were so young and remember I am four years older than you and at that age it makes a big difference . I have posted lots of photos so the memories of the old street will come flooding back. If you can't find them email me and I will send you some. Take care Steve.

Hi Diane, good to hear from people who lived in Pigott street although I don't remember you because we were so young and remember I am four years older than you and at that age it makes a big difference . I have posted lots of photos so the memories of the old street will come flooding back. If you can't find them email me and I will send you some. Take care Steve.

thank you Steve, where do I find these photo's - I have some in my nans hatbox so will have to sort them out - Did Mr. Gazey sit outside and make piklets (crumpets) - somewhere in my memory I seem to think I recall him sitting outside - My Uncle Pat had the fish and chip shop up the street with his late wife, and then married my Aunty Lil...... I used to climb over the wall in our yard on a Saturday and go into Wilkes yard - such a lady! Just goes to show what going around with boys and boy cousins does, I was much rather happier with my davy crockett hat and guns than with dolls ! ha ha

making pikelets hi diane hope u and steve wont mind me imposing on your thread just nice to hear of past neigbours from pigott st ,i to lived in pigott st say if ok i remember gazeys micheal gazey was my friend my brother worked for them as a teenager and i am familiar with other names you mentoined

making pikelets hi diane hope u and steve wont mind me imposing on your thread just nice to hear of past neigbours from pigott st ,i to lived in pigott st say if ok i remember gazeys micheal gazey was my friend my brother worked for them as a teenager and i am familiar with other names you mentoined

wow great..... our family names were Caves, Chatterley (John and Charles but we called him Chick), Bisp (Norma and Jean)..... anyone remember John, Keith and Anne Stirrup and also the Holiday family...sadly I cant recall the other kids names around -

did you live ln the same yard as can ask my brother he is younger than me the names ring a bell diane for some reason my words are getting jumbled up on thread making me sound daft did you live in the same yard as gwen garret same yard as the tosh family feel at liberty to email me ,lesleyi

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Lesley,do you remember the Wall family who lived at 23 or 25 Pigott street, they had one daughter called Yvonne.

i am thinking of a little girl who lived almost near owen st didnt play out much always in the window but wouldnt those numbers have been on our side of the road but i remember junior owen st and michael garret was.nt he ln our yard

Hi Lesley, that girls house was about three or four houses down from our entry, right opposite Owen street, she was an only child but I remember that she came to my gran's house in Bristol with us once. Yes your right Michael Garratt and his sister Valerie were in our yard in the corner.

only girl i can think of lived more towards gazeys shop ,she was an only child and lived on the lived on the front ,am surprised you,ve never mentioned the hogans moved next door to you when we moved to cottage at the top of the yard are you sure we are not gonna be told off again steve re sending threads but have to admit I find it less complicating regards to you and yvonne

i remember maryann cowley and her uncle cyril and her mom and grandmother lived next door to the vales my name was lesley dawson lived at 2,20 pigott st would love some feed back .

did you live ln the same yard ascan ask my brother he isyounger than msthe names ring a bell diane for some reason my words ar getting jumbled up on thread making me sound daft did you live in the same yard as gwen garret same yard as the tosh family feel at liberty to email me ,lesleyi

Hi Lesley, I lived in the next yard down from the Tosh's - can remember my mom taking me around to that yard to play as all the kids had chicken pox and one of the girls no one would play with and mom said Id get it sooner than later, so can assume it was before I started school at 5yrs.... !

I was an only child and played with the lads, had a Davy Crocket hat, guns running around the yard in my dress and ribbon in my hair - mom insisted I had ringlets so had to go to bed in rags every night !!! I used to flash my torch which was three colours to the lads who lived opposite at night when we were supposed to be in bed...John, keith and Anne Stirrup, was good fun until someone came out to go to the privvy and saw us and we got into trouble!

i remember your auntie and uncle from the fish shop diane opposite the pub ,steve has some lovely clear photo,s of pigott st the likes of which i never thought i would see ever again so make sure get them up on your gallery he is very helpful a good one of your aunts shop the pubs wilks etc i am older than you 71 this year so i,ll ask my brother about some of the names you mentioned although slightly older than you ifeel,but his memory is quite good

i remember your auntie and uncle from the fish shop diane opposite the pub ,steve has some lovely clear photo,s of pigott st the likes of which i never thought i would see ever again so make sure get them up on your gallery he is very helpful a good one of your aunts shop the pubs wilks etc i am older than you 71 this year so i,ll ask my brother about some of the names you mentioned although slightly older than you ifeel,but his memory is quite good

My Uncle Pat was great - his wife who had the fish n chip shop was his first wife, they had twins I think, John and Jennifer (?) but his wife died young,and her mom then ran the chip shop - years later he married my Aunty Lil and they lived in great Colmore Street.....

I am the *bab* of the family at 63 - my cousins John and Charles (Chick Chatterley) used to come to Piggot Street alot as did our twin cousins Peter and Paul Hulbert and their sister Barbara, as Nan lived with us and also her sister Alice Mousedale lived in the same yard.... they were hard days but I have only fond memories !

The photo's are great - shame we did not have the foresight to take photo's as the street was being demolished !

hi steve just checking did my last two emails re tramlines and washdays come through as email so many different options re threads etc still find it confusing ,,, born in the wrong era i think my friends n family turning of there phones lest its lesley on the prowl for more advice on her new laptop joking i think i hope //// lol .

Back