• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Pictures of Hawkes Street, Small Heath

chriseponymous

Brummie babby
Hi I'm really sorry for posting this in two different sections of the forum but I'm looking for pictures of Hawkes Street in Small Heath. Many members of my family (The Bowns 1890 - 1924) including my Great Grandfather lived here and I would love to see what it looked like before it was rebuilt. I have found many pictures of Muntz Street and Grange Road close by but sadly none of Hawkes Street. I'm expecting my first son very soon and would love to pass on to him as much as I can about our family when he his old enough. Many thanks!

Interesting photos again Bernie....my eldest sister used to work at Butlers

Thanks for posting.

OMG my mom worked at Butkers and we lived in hawkes street up until 1964
any body got any more pictures they are great

hi all I used to live in Hawkes Street ..Laburnam terrace opposite the Freehloders Arms pub would love to hear any one else who lived there around the same time 1958 to 1970 ish my last name is Wynne

hi all I used to live in Hawkes Street ..Laburnam terrace opposite the Freehloders Arms pub would love to hear any one else who lived there around the same time 1958 to 1970 ish my last name is Wynne

My Great Grandad, his Dad and his before him all lived at No 3 Laburnam Terrace, Hawkes Street. Still searching for photos, would love to see what it looked like...

My ancestor William Cale (1819-1889) was the publican at the Freeholder's Arms in the 1880s. When he died in July 1889, his will left "the freehold public house called or known by the sign of The Freeholders Tavern situate in Hawkes Street Small Heath near Birmingham in the county of Warwick and also the coal yard adjoining the same unto my housekeeper Frances Davies during her life..." (Will dated 10 September 1888, probate 15 May 1890, with Frances being one of his executors). Thank you for sharing the photo of the pub! Does anyone know who has copyright on that photo?

hi michelle...as 2 different members have posted the same photo the clearest being the one on post 12 the photo is obviously in the public domain so unless you intend publishing the photo copyright is not an issue...you are quite welcome to save it especially as it is of family interest to you...our general rule of thumb is that we will gladly remove any photos from the forum if proof of ownership of the original one is proven

lyn

Last edited:
My ancestor William Cale (1819-1889) was the publican at the Freeholder's Arms in the 1880s. When he died in July 1889, his will left "the freehold public house called or known by the sign of The Freeholders Tavern situate in Hawkes Street Small Heath near Birmingham in the county of Warwick and also the coal yard adjoining the same unto my housekeeper Frances Davies during her life..." (Will dated 10 September 1888, probate 15 May 1890, with Frances being one of his executors). Thank you for sharing the photo of the pub! Does anyone know who has copyright on that photo?
My great aunt Iris Stuart nee Moore was living there in 1950 (possibly the landlady) with her husband William.

My great aunt Iris Stuart nee Moore was living there in 1950 (possibly the landlady) with her husband William.

Andyboy,

They must have moved out very soon after that because Kelly's Trade Directory for 1950 (which records statistics for the previous year) lists E S Blockley as the landlord, The 1949 edition does list W J Stuart as landlord.

My Dad Tony grew up in Hawkes Street in the 40s and 50s, surname Dutton. His dad was Bill Dutton. Think the house is a carpark now.

Last edited:
My Dad Tony grew up in Hawkes Street in the 40s and 50s, surname Dutton. His dad was Bill Dutton. Think the house is a carpark now.
I lived in Hawkes Street from 1948 to 1970. I remember the Dutton's, Dunn's, Carters, Allen's, Plant's, Jenkins', Meadows', George's two Horne families, (not related). My name is Symonds and I lived in one of the two houses between Browns' Garage and the Sweet warehouse whose name escapes me.

Hi, I remember Hawke Street. I went to Somerville Junior School in the late 1960’s & had a G Wynne in my class. I wonder if that was you? My last name was Walters. I never forgot this boy Wynne. Fond memories of Somerville School back then.

Hey my parents used to run the freeholders around 1965 to about 1971. Maurice and Pat Tapscott. Does anyone have any info or stories maybe pictures. All would be greatly appreciated

Hey my parents used to run the freeholders around 1965 to about 1971. Maurice and Pat Tapscott. Does anyone have any info or stories maybe pictures. All would be greatly appreciated
there are 2 photos of the pub on this thread one is better than the other

lyn

You're actually a cousin of mine! William Cale was my 4th time Great Grandfather, my Great Nan was Elsie Cale and my Nan and Grandad later ran The Fox and Grapes. It's really interesting how the trade picked up later on down the line too.

Back