• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pictures of Birmingham

loisand

master brummie
I thought you might like to share these 4 pictures of Birmingham which I acquired yesterday, they are all from a company called Truflo and were sent out as Christmas cards, 3 are signed by R.W. Lenton, Personnel Director, one of those being dated 1979, the other I can't read the signature

Attachments

• City New-Street-from-Victoria-Square[1].jpg
    City New-Street-from-Victoria-Square[1].jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 33
  • City Bull St - Dalton St The Falstaff  1910.JPG
    City Bull St - Dalton St The Falstaff 1910.JPG
    224 KB · Views: 34
  • City Moat Row 1886.JPG
    City Moat Row 1886.JPG
    161.8 KB · Views: 37
  • City New Street 1890.JPG
    City New Street 1890.JPG
    206.3 KB · Views: 37
Last edited by a moderator:
Great photo's Loisand. :)

The last one I see is Moat Street, and the pub is I think called the Drovers Arms, I wonder if this is the one Cromwell has been looking for.

The Moat and Moat Lane

Here's another picture from an old reproduction post card. It just says The Moat and Moat Lane

Attachments

• 30_Mar_15A_009[1].jpg
    30_Mar_15A_009[1].jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 25
Moat Row c.1900.

Attachments

• City Moat Street (2).jpg
    City Moat Street (2).jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 16
Have we had this one before? No idea where it is as I was looking for something completely different on Pintrest. It does say 'Aston' on the lamp but is it 'our' Aston?

Attachments

• From Pintrest.png
    From Pintrest.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 57
There are quite a few Astons (some with an extra name added) but I think the one in the photo is 'our' Aston as there are tram lines and a Birmingham style tram stop. The distinctive pub? next to Swinglers shop and Swinglers itself should be sufficient for a positive identification. I believe the Military parade might help date the photo.

Last edited:
Such a sad occasion but such a great photograph.

I thought it was traditional for caps/hats to be removed at the passing
of a funeral, can't see much evidence of that in the picture.

Is it a funeral then? I understand what you mean by the caps and perhaps this throws a bit of light on what's happening. I know they use a gun carriage but this one has a gun too. Unusually the chap on the horse seems to be smiling which doesn't usually happen - it's eyes front.

I have amended my post above to read 'parade'. Initially I thought funeral but looking closer it might be some sort of fund raising (wartime) or celebratory event. I guess someone will stumble across the truth here. :D

Interesting Alan. I don't know much about these parades so any info is welcome. I'm sure someone will tell us where it is too.

Have we had this one before? No idea where it is as I was looking for something completely different on Pintrest. It does say 'Aston' on the lamp but is it 'our' Aston?

Skylark - quoted the following info in 2011 -
A military parade turning from Metropolitan Road into High Street, Saltley. On that corner is G E Swingler, stationer, and further down "The Adderley Arms".

Thanks Two, I thought I'd seen it before but couldn't remember where it was. I posted my last thought before your post came up. Well done!

Alan, interestingly the third picture in post #40 on the High Street, Saltley, thread is taken at a slightly different time to the one in the parade (above). There is a larger crowd and what might be a steam roller in the background. I wonder what's in the carriage and what else was in the parade?

Back