• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

picture house Erdington

brian baker

master brummie
when i lived in erdington many moon's ago (has anyone heard that saying) i used to go to the palace picture house and there was another picture house where the market is now can anyone remember the name of it
brian

Last edited:
picture house

thanks Alf it looks different to how i remember it but over the years the memory can play tricks with one's self as i have found out doing my family tree again thank very much :)

Hi Brian,When I lived in Erdington the Picture house had lost its metal shutter doors that are pictured in 1913..
It was where the newer of Erdingtons markets,the Wilton market is now.

We used to visit the cinemas on a sort of round trip.

The Palace-the Picture house-The Plaza ,Stockland Green -and the Pavilion in Gravelly lane.

Erdington

hi Alberta brian here thank's for your reply i used to live in Erdinton in 1954 to 1965 can i ask you where you lived i lived in Round Road
brian :)

We had quite a lot of choice of cinemas in the Erdington area back in the l950's. The films were pretty good and so it meant if finances permitted you could go more than once a week. Then, for special occasions and new dates we were off to Town to sample the several cinemas that were operating at that time. I have been watching a lot of the old movies from that era lately
on TV and am enjoying most of them.

Brian,I lived 1949-1961 in Marsh Lane.My Dad was a policeman and there was a row of police houses next to the Welfare Clinic at the Station road end of Marsh Lane.
After I left my parents moved to Dare road.

Erdington Picture House.

Alf:- the photo of the Picture palace in Erdington. What section does it come under on the birmingham.gov.uk website please?

There was the palace and then across the rd was the cinema actually called the Picture House then was a used car place Startins

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
As u went into the cinema itself mr peters the manager in 1948 had put in the wall as u walked in the photo if the team in my timeline second from left at bottom .
The good looking one ! An mire garage top goalscorer for that unbeaten season then pkated 4 Erdington schoolboys happy happy days

The Manager was Boris Peters. I met him just before he died. When He visited the ABC New Street where I was Assitant Manager at the time...

As u went into the cinema itself mr peters the manager in 1948 had put in the wall as u walked in the photo if the team in my timeline second from left at bottom .
The good looking one ! An mire garage top goalscorer for that unbeaten season then pkated 4 Erdington schoolboys happy happy days

It's funny how these threads rekindle particular memories. This one brought back my mom and dad taking me to see The Man from Laramie there when I was about 7 or8. I only remember one thing about this film, and that was James Stewart being shot in the hand and having it wrapped up in I think his neckerchief.

Back