• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

picture 1915

Very sad to see these servicemen what looks like above Knee high in water.
Image279.jpg

Whats also amazing is that they have a smile on their faces. I,ve been to those trenches on the Somme and at Eypers and believe me they still smell of death to this day.

GER22VAN, I agree with your sentiments entirely. At this time of year one's thoughts are brought into sharp focus with regard to the many sacrifices in all conflicts. Regards. willey

fantastic photo shows what our boys had to endure as well as bullets and bombs, God Bless em every one.
paul

My wife's grandfather went all the way through WWI riding the horses pulling the guns and talked about it. He remained on the reserve and was called up in 1939 and was evacuated at Dunkirk, and took no further part in WWII. He said no word about WWII and did not want his Dunkirk medal when my mother in law asked him (given out in the 1980s ?) When he was close to death in Selly Oak in the 1980's he told us he thought he was in hospital in Southampton and he had been rescued from the water in France that morning.

The original photograph was taken during the 3rd Birmingham Pals very first tour of trenches on the western front. They arrived in France on 21 November, 1915. These waterlogged trenches were in the vicinity of the village of Carnoy located on the Bray front (southern Somme sector). This is where the battalion gained it's first experience of trench warfare during December 1915 to January 1916.
At this time, the men were given rubber waders to wear in the front line. When relieved, however, they had to take them off for the next lot of troops to wear. It was quite common for a man to be stuck firm in the mud and when he got pulled out his waders remained!! An old veteran from the 3rd Birmingham who experienced these trenches told me (many years ago) that if a man got pulled from his waders he had to have empty sand bags wrapped around his feet and legs.
During this first trench experience the three City battalions wore their army greatcoats in these liquid mud trenches. The same veteran also told me that the bottom half of their greatcoats were thick with mud and became very heavy to wear. So.. they lopped of the bottom half of their greatcoats with their bayonets.

Terry

Back