• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Piccadilly Arcade (once Cinema)

Great photo Stich, would I be correct that the building on the right is the "Piccadilly Arcade"entrance and that they are advertising the New Cinema to be built on New St. was it the Forum? Looks like you needed your Welles on in those days. Keep it going very interesting and enjoyable.

Hello Bob, my thoughts about the cinema are similar to your own, but we need Mike or Lloyd or someone else with the maps and relevant data will know for certain.

My official history of the ABC Cinema circuit, published by the British Film Institute, marks the exact site of the Forum on top of what was originally the Regent Hall of the Masonic Society. That was converted in the 1929/1930 period and was located with a street corner (Ethel Street) on the LEFT when looking at it straight on from New Street.

I would not know Viv and it seems that those who do are not with us today.

It does now ask the Question's where was the cinema built inside or alongside and entered via the Arcade? What was the cinema called?

Yeah the Pickadilly Arcade was a cinema at one time and the old masonic building next to Ethel St. was remodelled to use as the Forum. It's funny but I never knew about either of these cinemas from forties onward and this is all news to me. I think the entrance to the Arcade was the entrance to the cinema. Maybe when you went downtown there was so much to see that you missed half of it.

Thanks for the link Jennyann.

Yes Rupert think the entrance was from New Street, as the arcade slopes down in line with the cinema layout. So the screen would have been at the Stephenson Street end. Surely this must be unique in itself, that a cinema was converted into a shopping arcade? Viv.

The 'back end' on Stephenson Street.

560791fc-38b1-ce33.jpg

Tha arcade was built through the cinema, effectively following the centre of the auditorium down towards the screen. I don't know if there was an entrance from Stephenson St when it was a cinema, but it is possible.

Thank you Lloyd and the rest who did a bit for sorting that out.

These pictures show the interior and exterior of The Piccadilly cinema.Moss

Attachments

• New St Foyer of Picture house now Piccadilly arcade..jpg
    New St Foyer of Picture house now Piccadilly arcade..jpg
    269 KB · Views: 97
  • New St interior Picture house now Piccadilly arcade.jpg
    New St interior Picture house now Piccadilly arcade.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 104
  • New St Picture house now Piccadilly arcade..jpg
    New St Picture house now Piccadilly arcade..jpg
    342.4 KB · Views: 112
These two pics today

Attachments

• 19th March 2012 Monday 005.jpg
    19th March 2012 Monday 005.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 88
  • 19th March 2012 Monday 006.jpg
    19th March 2012 Monday 006.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 69
Please don't forget Rex Williams in the 60's had a snooker hall below New St ground level , it housed about 20 full sized tables , commonly known in those days by us boys around town "the ball hall"

I remember in the 60's there was a shop there on the left hand side as you approached from New St . It was a class shop it dealt in leather and suede, jackets coats etc , the man who appeared to be in charge very smart he had suit tie the lot. There was also a female there ,I couldn't say if there was a relationship between the two . One Thursday night after getting paid my mate went in to get a leather overcoat it was a maroon in colour , anyway this young lady sitting awkwardly on the chair fell apex over elbow onto the floor. The man in charge didn't look amused , me and my mate kept a straight face and carried on business. I'm sure Bob on here will remember that shop

Back