• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Piccadilly Arcade (once Cinema)

Some more on Piccadilly Arcade/cinema here

Please don't forget Rex Williams in the 60's had a snooker hall below New St ground level , it housed about 20 full sized tables , commonly known in those days by us boys around town "the ball hall"

Think This may have been an entrance to the Billiard hall to the left of the cinema.(face on) and to the right a cafe.

0dc056aecbec6f827a956429f43d404d.jpg

Source:pinterest

Some more on Piccadilly Arcade/cinema here:

Does anyone remember a men’s boutique in the late 60’s early 70’s in an arcade that ran parallel to New Street and met Piccadilly Arcade at right angles about half way down between New St and Stephenson St? Or does my memory fail me? If not I bought a pair of blue slip on platform shoes from there.
Also, there was another men’s shop I think on the corner of Pinfold St and Victoria Sq where it then became New St. I bought a matching pink shirt, with a huge collar, and tie around the same time but can’t remember the name of either shop. I actually thought there was another road between Pinfold St and Ethel St that the shop may have been on the corner of but can’t see any trace on any map.

I don't remember the men's boutique you mention first but I think it would have been in the Burlington Arcade.

1711201745959.png

Some further information and pictures on the cinema from the "cinema treasures" web-site below. I must admit that I hadn't previously known, that the arcade was on the site of a cinema (that explains the slant ;)), before I had read through this thread today. It just goes to show that thanks to this splendid forum, you are never too old to learn something new. :)

I don't remember the men's boutique you mention first but I think it would have been in the Burlington Arcade.
Thanks for your reply. Was there ever an arcade that met either Burlington Arcade or Picadilly Arcade at 90 degrees and ran parallel to New St? Im wondering if the other clothes shop was actually on the corner of Ethel St rather than Pinfold St. should have paid better attention in my youth!

Hi A Sparks. I think I’ve now solved this thanks to your pointing me in the direction of the Burlington Arcade. I’ve now seen from an old thread that the arcade at right angles to the Burlington Arcade was in fact Burlington Passage, now no longer there apparently. At some time in the 70’s a roof was put over it and the old shop fronts replaced, echoing my recollection of a then fairly modern men’s boutique. Save for the name of the shop and the one on the corner of either Pinfold St or Ethel St, problem solved! Thanks again.

Back