• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Picards Pink Pages

Thanks for this link Moma P. :)

My great great grandfather is listed on it

10/10/1901 Deaths Birmingham Daily Mail
Thomas Dyas, Bacchus Road Soho. It says he died suddenly. Do anyone have any idea how much information their might have been printed in these articles and do you think there would be any records of it at the Birmingham Central libary and if so does anyone know how much it would cost to get a copy of it should it be there.

Thanks so much for the help
Tracy

Hi Tracy, It's difficult to say if there is more in the obituary but I would doubt it. If I were you I would send for his death certificate. This will give you the cause of death. You can do this on line at birmingham.gov.uk there is a form to fill in and it costs £7 plus postage. Good luck!

Hi Moma P

I already have the certificate for the death of Thomas Dyas but unfortunately it wasnt a great help. It confirmed where he lived...117 Bacchus Road and it told me who registered it...John James (his son-in-law) of The Oaks,Grove Lane, Handsworth on the 9th oct 1901 but where it says cause of death it just says unknown ??? . I have been unable to find out where he was buried/cremated or anything about his death. That's why i was hoping the death entry in the Birmingham Evening Mail might hold a little more info like circumstance or funeral arrangements etc.

Thanks for helping though at least now i know it was sudden.

Tracy :)

Gizmo, Well in that case I would certainly have a look as there were other
newspapers. They are on microfilm at Birmingham Library. As you have some information already I would email the library to see if they can help there may be a charge though.

Gizmo, have you tried Coroners records. A death registered as cause unknown would surely have lead to a Coroners report. There is a book of cuttings of Coroners reports from newspapers at the library. You could ask about them.

Thankyou both. I had just accepted the cause as unknown, i didn't think to check for a coroners reports or the newspapers for the death. I'm quite excited again now, shame the kids are off school for the summer so i wont get chance to visit the libary in birmingham (not in peace anyway) for a while yet. I will definately be sending an email off to see if they can help though. :)

Thankyou
Tracy :D

Back