• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Phyllis Nicklin Photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
Unseen Phyllis Nicklin photos will be available via Birmingham Post and BMAG interactive screen from 2 April. Looking forward to seeing them. Viv.

Not sure if any of these are from the new Phyllis Nicklin collection but will post them just in case. Will keep a look out for those released on 2 April. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1426489744.354333.jpg Emily St, Balsall Heath .1957

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1426489840.112450.jpg Whittall St, Gun Qtr 1960

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1426489920.636678.jpg Backs of Anderson St terraces Ladywood 1968

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1426489991.000180.jpg Castle Bromwich village centre 1968

I could look at her photographs all day long. When you consider that most of her photos were taken within living memory, the change she had recorded is utterly mind boggling

totally agree mort...i read some years ago that there are still many hundreds of nicklin photos to be seen...

thanks for keeping up updated viv...looking forward to seeing the next lot of photos...

lyn

Yes Mort and Lyn, Phyllis certainly did have an eye for the contrast between old past and modern future. The tree in the Castle Bromwich photo was Lady Bradford's tree. So the new low level buildings in Phyllis's photo must have replaced the lovely old building in the background of this 1900s photo of the tree.Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1426511345.272433.jpg

Looking at this Emily St photo posted earlier I'd assumed that the old houses directly in view would have disappeared whilst the flats to the left (St. Martin's) would still be there. I thought the flats didn't look that old for the time of the photo, but a quick trip on Streetview shows absolutely everything in this view has since gone. It's possible then that some of the people might have been re-housed into the St Martin's fiats in Phyllis's photo having moved out of the surrounding georgian/victorian buildings before they were demolished. Then they would have been moved yet again when the St Martins flats were demolished. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1426513736.398035.jpg

The flats there look like very early ones to me. My friend lived in Dymock Street until around 1964/5 ish, when her parents were rehoused in a new flat, high rise in Southacre Avenue. I remember visiting her there around 1968 and the flats were nothing like these. I would think that when demolition came, these would have been the first to go.

Thanks Shortie. So do you think the St. Martin's flats would have been built in about the 1930s/40s or earlier? Viv.

Vivienne

St Martin’s Flats were completed in March 1939 and officially opened by King George VI and Queen Elizabeth

hi viv i forgot to say that i think the only phyllis nicklin photo is the anderson st one...all of her photos usually have black borders..

lyn

Last edited:
Just checked them out again Lyn, and they're all labelled as Phyllis Nicklin. Not seen them before which made me wonder if they're from the latest ones about to be shown. Not sure - maybe that explains the different format.

Thanks Phil. So that means St Martin's flats can only have been standing for between 25- 30 years. Here's another view of the flats. Viv

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1426527664.580314.jpg

that could be the reason then viv although ive seen the anderson st one before the others are new to me...cant wait to see more...never know what we will find...

lyn

Exactly Lyn it's great that more have been uncovered. I think the next lot could be from a different original format. Not sure about that though as I'm not too knowledgeable about photography. I'm an Instamatic-type of photographer myself, point and shoot. Doubt Phyllis would have given cupboard space to an Instamatic. Judging by the quality of her photos I expect she used something a lot more professional! But thank goodness she had the foresight to take all these photos. Viv.

Exactly Lyn it's great that more have been uncovered. I think the next lot could be from a different original format. Not sure about that though as I'm not too knowledgeable about photography. I'm an Instamatic-type of photographer myself, point and shoot. Doubt Phyllis would have given cupboard space to an Instamatic. Judging by the quality of her photos I expect she used something a lot more professional! But thank goodness she had the foresight to take all these photos. Viv.

too true viv....i am the same..aim high and hope for the best lol..

lyn

Phyllis's original photo's were slides made into photo's by Keith Berry. They are all now with the university and new ones added all the time. We owe her a great debt for these wonderful images.

Thanks Wendy. Think there will be about 60 new ones uncovered via BMAG in April. Don't yet know how these will be accessed. Viv.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back