• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Phyllis Nicklin Blue Plaque Application

I battled with the Civic Society for a plaque to be put up for Marie Longmore and her husband, Frederick Humphreys, at the site of their home in Wheeley's Road, Edgbaston. She was a well known Victorian actress and singer, her home theatre being the old Theatre Royal. He was the musical director at the same theatre for forty years. The response I got back was that they weren't well known enough, but I have well over 300 newspaper reviews and Marie performed all over the USA as well as the Haymarket Theatre in London.

A friend of mine, who was the producer of many shows for the BBC, said "I bet if you put the cash up front, the plaque would miraculously appear the following day!". Cynical maybe, but I've never heard of many of the people named on existing plaques either.

Maurice

Here now, thanks folks.

My thoughts are that Phyllis Nicklin left a remarkable legacy in her photographic collection that recorded the social housing and working conditions of everyday people. While she was employed by the university, her photographic collection has become a direct benefit not only to the student who were taught by Phyllis, but to the community as a whole.

Her collection has engaged the whole community in a way that has increased our knowledge, and given us a new insight into the past lives, the living and working conditions of other generations. It has made history accessible to everyone and therefore the benefits her short and almost invisible life have bought, are in my opinion, immeasurable and priceless.

Her life should therefore be recognised and appreciated.

Personally, I think that her contribution to the history of the area is far greater than that to the institution that employed her, though obviously that was also important. The university did not even consider her as important enough for recognition till her achievements were promoted by others.

Hi all. I've just sent off a reply to the Civic Society email in post #76. It's taken me longer than I'd hoped due to family commitments but it's now sent. Hopefully I've reflected the views of members. Once again thanks for all your help.

Morturn has very helpfully suggested we pursue a grant with the Council. He's going to do this for us. Many thanks Mort for doing that. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    158.8 KB · Views: 155
thanks for the update viv...mort all the best in your quest to obtain a grant from the council look forward to any updates that you have for us :)

lyn

Hi all. I’ve chased this up a few times and have today sent another reminder. The situation seems to be that the Civic Society feel they have a full commitment to plaques. But I was told that Birmingham University might still be proceeding. This was back in April. So I have followed this up with my contact at the Civic Society to see if we can find out any more.

Viv.

Maybe those responsible for these plaques should bear in mind that the rest of the world can see the work of Phyllis Nicklin via the internet. Most others memorials are of people and places that have gone and can no longer be seen, or are limited to those living in the area. The Nicklin archives give everyone (who has access to a form of computer) a chance to see the past - and in a few cases - the present of the City of Birmingham.

I’ve just received an email from the Civic Society saying they are making contact with the University to discuss erecting a plaque for Phyllis Nicklin. I’ve no firm indication yet as to whether the University will agree to take this forward, but watch this space. It looks to me that the CS will suggest to the University that they use the occasion of her death (50 years this year) to do so.

Could I ask that a member confirms for me the exact date of her birth and the exact date of her death please ? This is just to double check the details we already have in the Phyllis Nicklin family thread.

As I say, watch this space. And many thanks all. Viv.

I’ve just received an email from the Civic Society saying they are making contact with the University to discuss erecting a plaque for Phyllis Nicklin. I’ve no firm indication yet as to whether the University will agree to take this forward, but watch this space. It looks to me that the CS will suggest to the University that they use the occasion of her death (50 years this year) to do so.

Could I ask that a member confirms for me the exact date of her birth and the exact date of her death please ? This is just to double check the details we already have in the Phyllis Nicklin family thread.

As I say, watch this space. And many thanks all. Viv.
I'm still up for a donation to this worthy cause, Viv. Cheers, S23.

Thanks Alan. Yes, I realise we have that info, I just want someone to do a final double check of census/birth/death records before I pass it on to the Civic Society.They’ll then use it as the basis of their argument for commemorating the 50th anniversary of her death. So we want to make doubly sure we have the correct info. Viv,

viv i cant check as i am not subbed to ancestry ect at the min but hopefully someone who is can assist

lyn

Phyllis birth date from 1939 register is 9 May 1909 (I would post the image but this thread won't allow attachments).

Death date is harder but the records says Dec 1969 (I think you would need death certificate for actual date).

I used to subscribe to Findmypast so I logged in and searched the newspapers. I can't read the announcement as they are not legible until you pay, but the newspaper is dated November 21st. 1969 Birmingham Daily Post. I tried GRO but they only go up to 1957 for online certificates.
Birmingham bereavement site gives two results, Brandwood End and Lodge Hill Cemeteries.
Bereavement Services | Birmingham City Council - Bereavement Services | Birmingham City Council
rosie.

thanks rosie i think someone who has access to the newspaper articles could solve the death date for us

lyn

Thanks all. That seems to be confirmation. Shall pass on the info to the Civic Society.

Interesting that donations were to be made to the Baptist Women’s Fed Home for Elderly Ladies. Perhaps it was another group of Phyllis’s interest

Viv.

Back