• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Phyllis Nicklin Blue Plaque Application

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
For some time this forum has recognised the importance of the work of Phyllis Nicklin. Her images have provided us with much material for discussion and exploration. Even today her images are still being uncovered and continue to add to our knowledge and understanding of the 1950/60s Birmingham landscape. More recently her work has been displayed around Birmingham and has proved inspiring to local artists who have recreated many of her images in their paintings (the Nicklin Unseen project).

Astoness (Lyn) has, on several occasions, flagged up the idea of a blue plaque in recognition of Phyllis's work. With this in mind I contacted the Birmingham Civic Society to find out how we might submit an application (see first email below). The reply back suggested we initially supply more information which will be submitted to the Committee in March (see 2nd email below). I'm working on gathering together this information. At its March meeting the Committee will consider whether we shall be invited to make an application for a blue plaque. The Civic Society response also includes a question about whether we are able to make a financial contribution. Obviously this isn't possible and I shall make this clear in my response to them.

If anyone wants to contribute information to the process please feel free to post any views, comments etc on this thread. Many thanks. Viv.
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    162.9 KB · Views: 300
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    97.3 KB · Views: 263
Help please! I've been asked by the Civic Society for the addresses of the places Phyllis lived in. There are three which I believe might still exist:18 Link Road (Ladywood?), 44 Gillott Road Edgbaston and 84 Willow Avenue Edgbaston. The sources of the info were

Link Road - 1911 Census
Gillot Road - Electoral Roll - 1927 - 1940
Willow Avenue - Electoral Roll - 1945

Could some kind person please copy and post here the evidence if possible on these three addresses? Much appreciated. Viv.

viv you posted street views of the link road and gillot road houses so we know they exist...is it the 1911 census you want to see and the the e rolls???

lyn

Think these are the three houses. Address in top left-hand corner of streetvuew image. If I've calculated this correctly, first - Link Road - is the house for sale, the second - Gillott Road - is the house with black porch and the third - Willow Avenue - is the house with the green garage door. Grateful if someone could check these out on streetview for me please? Thanks. Interestingly, if these are the houses, they're all in close proximity with each other. And not far from Edgbaston Reservoir, one of the subjects in several of her photos. Viv.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 519
  • image.png
    image.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 515
  • image.png
    image.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 582
Last edited:
Thanks Lyn for sorting this out. Apologies to members who might have tried to post views. The problem has thankfully now been resolved by Lyn.

Members can now post on this thread and I'd welcome any comments on the proposed application for a blue plaque for Phyllis Nicklin. I'd like to draw together any information this week to put to the Civic Society, so if you'd like to make some points please do so here.

Please note I now have the info requested in post #2 - thanks go to Mikejee for his help.

Viv.

1. Do we have Jim's OK to apply for the Plaque in the Forum's name.

2. Is anyone prepared to donate if by not doing so the civic Society says no to the application?

Wow, thanks Morturn that's very generous! I've been umming and aaaahing about approaching the Reuben Colley Gallery for support because they've been exhibiting paintings by various artists based on Phyllis Nicklin's photos. Does anyone have any views on this? Happy to write to the Gallery if people think it's appropriate.

Di, thanks for raising those questions. We have posties/Jims full support on this, wouldn't do it without him agreeing. On funds to support I'm prepared to approach the Gallery with a collection bucket! But only if people think it's appropriate.

Viv.

Last edited:
CARL CHINN BACKS BIRMINGHAM HISTORY FORUM.

HI FOLKS I CONTACTED CARL THE OTHER DAY TO OUTLINE OUR PLANS AND ASKED HIM IF HE WOULD BE HAPPY TO BACK OUR APPLICATION...HERE IS HIS REPLY...VIV CARL IS QUITE HAPPY FOR YOU TO SEND THIS TO THE CIVIC SOCIETY AND WOULD LIKE TO BE KEPT INFORMED..AS FOR APPROACHING THE GALLERY FOR DONATIONS OUR DAD ALWAYS SAID IF YOU DONT ASK YOU DONT GET...THEY CAN ONLY SAY NO..

The hundreds of superb photographs of street scenes and buildings of
> Birmingham taken by Phyllis Nicklin make up one of the most remarkable
> collections of historical images for any city in the United Kingdom.
> They bringing into sharp yet sensitive focus the rapidly changing face
> of Birmingham in the 1950s and 60s, highlighting places and sights
> soon to be lost as well as those new developments that were placing
> their mark upon the city's landscape. Nicklin's photographs, however,
> are not only evocative and memory stirring for they are also highly
> valuable historical records of Birmingham's physical layout, its landmarks
and structures, and its people.
> They are made all the more powerful because they were taken in colour
> in what was still a black and white world and as such they have the
> ability to engage younger generations who grew up not in an austere
> time but who have lived their lives in more vivid tones. An unassuming
> person dedicated to her work, Phyllis Nicklin's achievements went
> unnoticed in her lifetime but they should now be recognised for their
invaluable views into our past.
> Consequently I fully support the application by the Birmingham History
> Forum to erect a blue plaque for Phyllis Nicklin.
>
> Professor Carl Chinn MBE Ph.D.
>

Last edited:
That's smashing Lyn. Please thank Carl, and yes, I certainly will send it to the Civic Soc. Grateful Lyn if you'd pass on info to Carl as this progresses. Thanks. Viv.

how very kind of you di...especially as we have not asked members for donations....as our mom would say to neighbours in trouble..." i dont have much but you are welcome to half of what i have got "

viv i shall pledge £20...fingers crossed that the name phyllis nickin will not be forgotton..she has to be up there with the other greats of birmingham..

lyn

Last edited:
Here's my draft response to the request from the Birmingham Civic Socuety in post #1. Please feel free to comment on any omissions/errors or other observations before I send it off to the Society. In particulatpr does anyone know the exact number of images there are in total (ie the Chrysallis images plus the Nicklin Unseen/Brumpic) ? Viv.

PHYLLIS NICKLIN : REQUEST TO CONSIDER A BLUE PLAQUE APPLICATION FROM THE BIRMINGHAM HISTORY FORUM

Phyllis Nicklin was born in 1909 in Birmingham. For most of her life she lived in Birmingham, except while appointed as temporary lecturer at Nottingham University during World War II. She was a graduate and postgraduate of the University of Birmingham, following which she pursued a career in teaching and teacher training before being appointed staff tutor in Geography at the extra-mural department at the University of Birmingham. She died in post at the age of 60 in 1969.

Phyllis Nicklin's photographic legacy

During her career she produced a substantial number of 35mm photographic slides (approximately 1,200 slides) which, on her death, were donated to the University of Birmingham by her brother Harold C Nicklin. The slides contain images of Birmingham city centre and its suburbs on the cusp of major change. They provide viewers and researchers with a valuable historical and photographic record of the buildings, it's urban topography, street scenes and local people of the 1950's and 1960's. Many show landscapes that have since disappeared altogether and have, subsequently, been completely replaced.

This vast collection clearly demonstrates her skill as a photographer, particularly in the composition and range of images. Additionally they show her as a perceptive observer, attuned to the social and environmental conditions of mid-20th century Birmingham. Undoubtedly her collection was initially used to aid her University teaching role with each slide meticulously annotated. Such attention to detail signals her intention to use the material in a later study or book. Sadly she passed away suddenly in 1969 before the work could be realised during her lifetime. The images remained locked and undisturbed in a university cupboard for many years after her death.

Projects

Over time, the extent of the collection has gradually been uncovered. The value and significance of Phyllis's legacy has in recent times been more fully realised and her work has become the subject of a number of projects and exhibitions.

'Chrysalis'

The first digitisation project of her slides covered a selection of 446 slides by the "Chrysalis" digitisation project of the West Midlands Museums, Libraries and Archives Council. This digitisation took place in 2004 and comprised a selection, not the full range, of Phyllis's slides. The images, covering the city centre and several districts and suburbs, documented Birmingham buildings, urban topography and street scenes during the 1950s and 60s. From 2007 the images were moved to the University of Birmingham's ePapers repository site.
https://epapers.bham.ac.uk/chrysalis.html

'Unseen Nicklin'

In 2014 further previously unseen 35mm slides were uncovered in a filing cabinet at the University. Brumpic - a community site sharing archive images - was consulted and an initial look through the box revealed there were something in the region of 1,100 slides with more than 600 of these unseen by the general public. Brumpic is currently carrying out the task of digitising and publicising the slides in conjunction with the University. For reference both website links are given below.

https://intranet.birmingham.ac.uk/b...hotographs-by-Phyllis-Nicklin-discovered.aspx

https://www.brumpic.com/phyllis-nicklin-unseen/

Exhibitions

Phyllis bequeathed a stunning, visual photographic legacy of Birmingham. Over the last year the most recently unearthed ‘Unseen’ images (approximately 750 images) have been exhibited through various media including an exhibition at Snow Hill, at the University of Birmingham, inclusion in local and social media and through touch tables at Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery and at the Library of Birmingham. Ultimately it is planned that all of the recently unearthed images will feature on the Brumpic site.

'Nicklin Revisited'

Phyllis's legacy has given us a unique insight into Birmingham’s history. Through the 'Nicklin Revisited' project artists have been invited to produce new work inspired by her photographs. Their individual responses to the images now form a major exhibition in Birmingham. Underlying all the paintings are the skill and vision of Phyllis herself.

Comments by Professor Carl Chinn on the value of Phyllis Nicklin's archive

"The hundreds of superb photographs of street scenes and buildings of Birmingham taken by Phyllis Nicklin make up one of the most remarkable collections of historical images for any city in the United Kingdom. They bring into sharp yet sensitive focus the rapidly changing face of Birmingham in the 1950s and 60s, highlighting places and sights soon to be lost as well as those new developments that were placing their mark upon the city's landscape. Nicklin's photographs, however, are not only evocative and memory stirring for they are also highly valuable historical records of Birmingham's physical layout, its landmarks and structures, and its people.They are made all the more powerful because they were taken in colour in what was still a black and white world and as such they have the ability to engage younger generations who grew up not in an austere time but who have lived their lives in more vivid tones. An unassuming person dedicated to her work, Phyllis Nicklin's achievements went unnoticed in her lifetime but they should now be recognised for their invaluable views into our past.

Consequently I fully support the application by the Birmingham History Forum to erect a blue plaque for Phyllis Nicklin." Professor Carl Chinn MBE Ph.D.

Phyllis Nicklin and the Birmingham Geographic Association

Phyllis was an active member of the Birmingham Geographical Association. Her valuable contribution is recognised in the following two extracts

Obituary extracted from ‘Geography, Vol. 55, No. 2, April 1970 – (c) The Geographical Association':

"With the sudden and untimely passing of Miss P. A. Nicklin, for many years the indefatigable Honorary Secretary of the Birmingham Branch, the Association in particular and geography in general has lost one of its staunchest adherents. A graduate and postgraduate of the University of Birmingham, Phyllis Nicklin gained wide teaching experience in schools and colleges before becoming Staff Tutor in Geography to the Extra-mural Department at Birmingham. For well over twenty years she has been the driving force behind what is possibly the most successful liaison between an academic department, an extra-mural department, and a local branch of the Association that could be found in any university city. In that time she saw the growth of the Branch to a present membership of 1200, the holding of a most successful Spring Conference in Birmingham in 1965, and the publication by the Branch of a series of excursion guides to the West Midlands. She will be long remembered for her valuable contributions to Council and Executive meetings, for the stimulating courses that she arranged on behalf of thousands of extra-mural students, for her well-organized excursions, and, not least, for her kindly, effective and dedicated service to the Birmingham Branch".

An extract from Avril Maddrell's book "Complex Locations: Women's Geographical Work in the UK, 1859 - 1970":

"Phyllis A Nicklin,........... was described as 'the indefatigable Honorary Secretary of the Birmingham (Geographical Association, GA) branch' which had a strong membership, allowing them to organise a Spring Conference in 1965 and publish excursion guides to the West Midlands. She was also a popular speaker at other GA branches, for example, the Crewe and Nantwich branch in 1959 and again in 1963. Within the national organisation, Nicklin served on the Council and Executive Committee. On a personal level she was remembered for her kindness, efficiency and her stimulating extra-mural course and field excursions (GA 1970). 'Miss Nicklin was considered a great rock in the world of geographical education and spent over twenty years as the driving force behind what is the most successful liaison between an academic department, extra-mural department, and the local branch of the Association that could be found in any University city" (Source: GA 1970 232 - 3)"

The homes of Phyllis Nicklin

18 Link Road in Ladywood, Birmingham (Source: 1911 England, Wales & Scotland Census)

44 Gillott Road, Edgbaston, Birmingham, known to be at this address 1927 - 1940 (Source: Electoral Roll, Birmingham, Warwickshire)

84 Willow Avenue in Edgbaston, Birmingham, known to be at this address 1945 (Source: Electoral Roll, Birmingham, Warwickshire)

16 Middle Park Road, Birmingham, known to be at this address 1952 - 1965 (Source: Electoral Roll, Birmingham, Warwickshire)

Financial contribution

The Birmingham History Forum is run entirely by volunteers and exists on donations. For this reason pledges of help are being sought from anyone with an interest in the work of Phyllis Nicklin. Some Forum members have already come forward with personal pledges but, at this stage, the level of our financial contribution is unknown.

Viv Walker
On behalf of Birmingham History Forum
...... February, 2016

Last edited:
Looks good to me Viv. It may be worth just mentioning the record of the social change that has been shown in the image collection, however I am very happy in what you have already said, great work.

Very good Viv. Just one thing. She was at Willow avenue on the electoral roll (I sent you) 1945-50

Looks good to me too. It is wonderful to see 'our' Phyllis given center stage.

Just one thought, as Phyllis's nephew contacted the Forum, perhaps you might like to keep him up to speed
Viv.

Thanks all for your help with this. I sent our proposal off to the Civic Society yesterday. So now we have to wait. The meeting is in March, so I'll let you know their decision as to whether we'll be invited to make an application. Viv.

viv thanks for all your hard work in putting the application together...fingers toes and everything else crossed now...

lyn

Phyllis wa mentioned on the BBC1 local news 0830 this morning regarding her pictures on display, but missed part of the news

So great to see that Phyllis Nicklin and her collection of photographs is receiving the attention they truly deserve. I first saw some of her collection on Keith Berry's site in 2004 and gradually over the years more photos have been seen and talked about. Hopefully, the rest of the large collection will be seen in the future. It's an excellent idea to have a Blue plaque to recognize Ms. Nicklin. Such a great job by Vivienne in putting together the application to the Civic Society. Also, the detective work by members on Phyllis's background is much appreciated. Hopefully, the outcome of the application will be a good one.

Hi all

How is the blue plaque application going?

Please count me in for £25 donation.

Regards

S23

Many thanks S23. That's very generous of you.

At this stage we're asking the Civic Society to consider inviting us to make an application. I've put together some information based very much on the details gathererd for the BHF Phyllis Nicklin archive. BHF members helped some time ago with that work so it was a fairly easy exercise to pull together a case nominating Phyllis to put to the Civic Society. We're now waiting for the Civic Society to meet and discuss our proposal. If they agree we shall be invited to make a full application for a plaque. I assume this will then be considered by the Society at another meeting.

We're hoping we can make a full application, but it's a waiting game at the moment. One thing I do know is that the London plaque scheme is encouraging nominations for women and I hope that this is also the case for Birmingham nominations.

Hope that helps explain our current position. I don't know when exactly the Society will meet yet - it's some time in March - but will find out details. Viv.

Back