• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Photos !

hi Ger22van :angel:

Thanks for this - the rellies I am talking about would have died pre 1920's and mostly pre 1880's - Would I be better off looking at the cemetry or at the churches for burials of this era?

Cheers
Jan :D

I remember the Kam Ling restaurant in Livery Street. The food was very good
especially the Chicken Chow Mein. My friend and I used to use our LV's there.
We always had Lychees and Ice Cream, still a favourite of mine and we would have coffee as well and put ice cream in it. This would have been in the early l960's. I worked at
Lloyd House which is now the Police Headquarters off Snow Hill. This was for GEC who had offices there.
I passed by Gosta Green every weekday when in school on Corporation Street in the early l950's and when working in Birmingham in the early l960's. I also used to cycle down Aston Road a few times when I went swimming at Woodcock Street. I remember the
cinema and the horse troughs and also Midland Counties Dairy and the Eastman Pen Company close by. That area has changed beyond recognition now. I remember the building of the Hercules building...did the first one burn down? I also remember a
wholesale food company in that area called Brown,Hopwood & Gilbert.

Juat for Alf as no one as replied about is question

Did it become a TV Studio

Attachments

• Gosta Green 1958.jpg
    Gosta Green 1958.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks John that told them give them a :tickedoff:

They did Gardening with Percy Thrower Mother had to cook the Stars meals :)

sylviasayers.  l second that, seen it just before 8 am one morning on the way to work.  It was totally ablaze with flames coming from the upper windows and at the time it was said to have been started by someone sleeping rough inside the building, how true it was l dont know.  It was the biggest fire that l have ever seen to this day.

It was a modern building if I remember for its day and had it closed down :)

a rare shot of Halfords Lancaster House now stands on this spot the offices of Birmingham council

Attachments

• City Lancaster St Halfords (2).jpg
    City Lancaster St Halfords (2).jpg
    244 KB · Views: 5
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm grasping for straws trying to recognise the Gosta Green buildings. I should be able to I was there fairly often pre-late 60s. I seem to remember that when you went up Leister St, towards the city centre you passed the Delta Metal Co. and went over a canal bridge and came to a roundabout. Coming the opposite way down Corporation street was there not a fire station ahead of you and behind that was Gosta Green College. I see the college in one of the photos behind the fountain. Great seeing the old trams though. They were such a great feature of the city.

My late Mom was born in 4 Back of 28 Digby Street, Gosta Green.

:angel:

:angel: If you go to the top left hand side of this page and type 'Gosta' in the search, you will see a number of posts (Some have old pic's) of that area.

Chris :angel:

Just got around to this site again with Chris's post. Thanks you Sylvia for putting me right on Hercules which, of course should be Halfords. I think it was a rather new building if I remember. It must have been a heck of a fire.....being close to the main Fire Station must have helped though. See that Halfords is still going. Wasn't that building rebuilt but is now only partly used?

Thanks for the photo of the old Halfords building, John. I had to have a second look at the passengers on the tram in the photo. I believe the people upstairs are making use of the seats you could switch around because some of them are facing different ways. I can remember that and also the colour of the seats which were mostly a brown velvety material.

Also, the photo of Gosta Green cinema (Adelphi) becoming a BBC stuio. The cars in that phot I recognize the Austin A30...my brother had a baby blue one. I recognize the small delivery van but what is the other car in the photo please.

Hi , Is this the HALFORD Building that burntdown, as I remember standing by the fire station seeing it burn as a young lad, the second big fire I had seen, Rudders & Paynes wood yard.We watched as the poor birds tried to return to there nests in the wood yard buildings but the flames were to high and hot burning wing tips, only to fall into the flames.
Sad memories.
ASTON :'(

My Dad sold his "Standard Vanguard" to the Manager of the Delicia when it hosted the WRESTLING. Before the BBC took over.
I remember going with him into the hall with a big Ring in the center, in the Ring the wrestlers were practicing there moves for the coming nights bouts. I never took to watching wrestling after that.
ASTON ::)

Hi. Jennyann,
The fendered sportscar might be a Singer and the one with it's rear to the camera a Hillman Minx (does not quite fit the bill though) or a Standard (not a Vanguard though)
Regards.

I went in the 'Sacks of Potatoes' pub a couple of weeks ago and had a very nice pint there, not to mention a very pleasant chat with the 71-year old lunchtime barmaid after she finished her shift. The clientele was a nice balance of students, local workinjg people, local office yuppies, local residents and beer tourists like me. I liked the style of management, and food seems to be available all day. It's nice to see there are still a few proper pubs in Brum, better in fact than we have down here in London.
Peter

:angel:

What a shame my mystery lady photo didn't make it to this page. I sent it two or three times to Rod.

Timetraveller

Yes I remember Kyrle Hall nearly 50 years ago. My girl friend was leading lady in an amateur production of the Gilbert & Sullivan opera 'Ruddigore', and I sat through several rehearsals, weekday evenings and Sunday afternoons, when we would would finish up in the newly opened Shalimar restaurant at the corner of Stafford St and Coleshill St. The performance was given in the old Bham & Midland Institute main hall for three nights, 6th, 7th and 8th March 1957. I disappointed her because I didn't think of presenting her with a bouquet during the applause after the performance, as was the custom, but I didn't realise that at the time. All part of life's colourful pattern.
Peter

i was driving Midland red buses the day the Halfords building burnt down on the Sutton birmingham route it was a very bad fire
allen

The Fountain... Gosta Green

Postie, this brings back memories,gosh the old fountain which i spent hours looking down,strange child :crazy2: thank you :smitten:

Hi... I note that you remember the Fountain at Gosta Green.... I have yet to go back to see it... I know that it has slightly moved from its original position... but the original was outside Gosta Green Library.. and the next building up Aston Road was where all my family lived and worked... N. Budd & Son... Tarpaulin and Tent people. My Dad, Grandmother her sister and brother all born at 265 Aston Road. Now under the Students Union. Would you have any photos of Aston Road at all? Do you remember the BUDD shop?
Georgie

Back