• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Photos - Uploading

Hughes

master brummie
Is it possible to post a photo from my computor
Regards
J Hughes

Last edited by a moderator:
Geff

Click on upload a file bottom right of the page, pick the photo you want to upload on your computer, click on the photo, then click on open. It then should upload to the forum all you have to do then is click on save changes. If the photo does not upload it is either too big or it's the wrong file type. Have a go and come back if you have a problem.

you can also drag a photo/picture directly into the post drag and drop style

Now that's interesting, I didn't know that, I must give a try next time I upload a photo.

I have already uploaded several photo's onto the Forum, but today, I can only get an Error message. I have reduced the size down to a thumbnail, and still get the same message, so it isn't the size thats the problem. I don't have problems on other sites, so whats gone wrong?

No you will have to convert to another format. Many other forums have similar problems with the format

I have now tried, png, jpg, and gif, and your Forum has rejected them all. I can take a hint, I won't be troubling you again.

you can also drag a photo/picture directly into the post drag and drop style
Trying the drag and drop
20160927_181859000_iOS (Small).png 20160927_181859000_iOS.jpg
The pic on the left is png and on the right jpg
It works for me.
I noticed that I still had to 'insert' the pics after I had dragged them in so I shall stay with the normal method ... it is just as quick.

Last edited:
Thanks oldMohawk, but as I have never had this problem in over ten years on other sites, or indeed on my own, I simply can't be bothered. Do let me know if you manage to bring the Forum programing up to date.

Since the forum changed to the widely used Xenforo software photo uploads became more reliable compared to the old vBulletin software. The other way of putting photos on is to use the forum's image host Coppermine and the pic below was put on from there.

Last edited:
Geff

Click on upload a file bottom right of the page, pick the photo you want to upload on your computer, click on the photo, then click on open. It then should upload to the forum all you have to do then is click on save changes. If the photo does not upload it is either too big or it's the wrong file type. Have a go and come back if you have a problem.
Hi have copied the photo uploaded and it then flashes Error file too big help please

Hi joe 90, can you check the photo you have your computer and say what the actual file size is ?
I usually do this by hovering the mouse pointer on the image and can read the file size. Alternatively, right click on the image file and check it's properties to see what the file size is.
It is always best to reduce the image file size for uploads and there is a sequence of forum posts about how to reduce file sizes starting click link here https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/windows-10.45268/page-28#post-572937
oldmohawk

Trying the drag and drop
View attachment 108868 View attachment 108869
The pic on the left is png and on the right jpg
It works for me.
I noticed that I still had to 'insert' the pics after I had dragged them in so I shall stay with the normal method ... it is just as quick.
Addition to this post
Checking a Coppermine 'thumbnail' method ...

you shouldn't have to insert them once dropped just click post. (let me check)

seemed to work for me. ah, yes if you want the image to show on the post then yes you have to insert them...

Attachments

• cool-pictures-24 (1).jpg
    cool-pictures-24 (1).jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 3
Thanks oldMohawk, but as I have never had this problem in over ten years on other sites, or indeed on my own, I simply can't be bothered. Do let me know if you manage to bring the Forum programing up to date.

following file types can be uploaded with a maximum file size of 1mb
txt
pdf
png
jpg
jpeg
jpe
gif

as the embarrassed man said to the disapointed women, "well that's never happened to me before!"

also post the image on any of the other more modern sites you frequent (for reference we run the latest version of xenforo, PHP, CGI, MYSQL, ASP, IIS) and ill download it and see why it can't be posted here.

Last edited:
Blackcountrymuse - are you sure you are correctly logged in when trying to post images and are not being regarded as a guest? Is there any possibility that you are doing something slightly different, compared with the previous occasions when you have successfully uploaded images to this Forum?

There is something strange about all this as no one else seems to be having a problem at the moment.

Hope you will persevere.

Chris

Last edited:
Yesterday Warren, I posted 21 pictures in an Album on Coppermine, all in png, and well within the file size. I can't post any of them now directly onto the Forums, when last week, I could. Nothing, as far as I know has changed this end. I have just tried again. and all I get is the error sign. No explanation, just the error.

Hi Blackcountrymuse, I've just looked at your pics in coppermine and here is one of them.
I did this by getting the image address of your pic and inserting it here by clicking the image icon in the line above the post and pasting the image address in the box that appears. Try a right click on the pic here to get it's image address and the try a post using the image icon and paste in box as I did.
Snap_2016-10-01_at_19_23_08.png

Screenshots of what I did to get above post#27
I typed my text and clicked the icon
Screenshot (30).jpg
I pasted the image address in the box using CTRL + V
Screenshot (29).jpg

Above method for posting pics from Coppermine.

If an image is visible on another website or photo album site such as Coppermine it is always possible to obtain the url or image address and using the methods described in post#28, an image can be made to appear as it did in post#27.
If there are watermarks on the images in other websites (as there are in Coppermine) then those watermarks will show in the images posted here.

Edited:- oldmohawk 04/10/2016

Last edited:
Hi oldmohawks managed to put some pics on l messed about for hours last night no joy and today new brain looked at the camera and l could reduce the size of the photo on there retake the picture and bingo pics on

Back