• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Frederick Road, Aston before 1960

laraine

master brummie
Hi all
This is a bit of a long shot, im wondering if anyone out there has any photos of Frederick Road but the Aston Park end. My mom was born in a house backing onto the park, no 105 & although the houses in that stretch were knocked down a few years back, she would love to see if a photo exists somewhere.
Thanks for your help
Laraine

Hi Laraine,

A pity it was not further down around 212 which I have photos of. I bet your moms house was one of those we went through to get into the park.

Dave D

Hi Laraine,

A pity it was not further down around 212 which I have photos of. I bet your moms house was one of those we went through to get into the park.

Dave D

Dave
My mom said she used to climb over the fence at the top of the garden to get into the park & she remembers 2 tall trees directly behind the fence where she used to climb over. Did you live at 212 ? My mom moved to 207 when she was 10 years old.:)

Larraine there are some photo's of the back of some houses looking from Aston Park I will have a scout round to see if I can find them. Jean.

Laraine, I have a recent photo of No.200 Frederick Road where I was born. Interested? Regards willey

Willey if you wish to post it on here i would love to see it though really its just 105 im interested in as i know its no longer standing & im hoping there is a photo of it out there somewhere. But as you were saying you were born at no 200, my family eventually moved into no 207 & were there for quite a few years. You might remember them ?
Thanks
Laraine

Laraine, I will look out the photograph of No.200 and will post it on this site. As my stay at No.200, I was only there for the first eleven months of my life, however my paternal grandmother and her family lived next door at No.202 for nearly twenty years. Regards. willey

Hi all
This is a bit of a long shot, im wondering if anyone out there has any photos of Frederick Road but the Aston Park end. My mom was born in a house backing onto the park, no 105 & although the houses in that stretch were knocked down a few years back, she would love to see if a photo exists somewhere.
Thanks for your help
Laraine
Hi Laraine.. i have just seen this post from all those years ago...what years did you or your mother live in 105 frederick rd.. please let me know..and you say your mother was born there .what year was that.. i know people from there..

Hi Laraine.. i have just seen this post from all those years ago...what years did you or your mother live in 105 frederick rd.. please let me know..and you say your mother was born there .what year was that.. i know people from there..

Attachments

• 619EA8B2-6881-4C2A-9C23-9F1758BFB765.jpeg
    619EA8B2-6881-4C2A-9C23-9F1758BFB765.jpeg
    38.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 9E4E9BDE-6B4B-4BF6-8416-5F50F5D80123.jpeg
    9E4E9BDE-6B4B-4BF6-8416-5F50F5D80123.jpeg
    67.7 KB · Views: 43
It’s been along time since I posted my query, I came across these two photos a couple of years ago of the part of Frederick Road I was after seeing, aerial shot of the top ( or bottom ) end of Frederick Rd with the house that backed on to Aston Park, 105 with the two tall trees at the back of the garden, the other photo shows the house just a few doors down from the college. A car park & children’s play area now stand there.

Hi all
Thanks for your help
Laraine
Not quite the house number you wanted Laraine, but I do have this photo of Douglas House number 87 Frederick Rd. I recall it was used by Kings Edwards Grammar School, Aston as an overflow facility in the early 1960s.

Douglas House 87 Frederick Rd.jpg

Thanks Brasscaster, great photo I hadn't heard of Douglas house. My mom was born in 105 Frederick Rd in 1947 then a few years later the family moved to number 207 not far from St James church.

There is this 1920 aerial view of the area with Frederick Road from top right alongside the park towards Whitehead Road. Aston Hall is visible on the left with Bevington Road bordering the park.
frederickRd1920.jpg

Laraine, I will look out the photograph of No.200 and will post it on this site. As my stay at No.200, I was only there for the first eleven months of my life, however my paternal grandmother and her family lived next door at No.202 for nearly twenty years. Regards. willey
I lived at 206a in the1960s I lived with my Parents, my Gran, and mums 2 brothers.
My family must have known your Grandmother Willey.

Back