• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Photos of Birmingham 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lady Penelope

master brummie
On a walk round the Duddeston Viaduct on Sunday we took a few pictures which I think fit the theme of this thread. If not, please move them.
The first 3 are of a double step in Heath Mill Lane. I don't remember seeing one before but it was such a nice feature. I expect there are lots more around the city.

Attachments

• Double Kerb.JPG
    Double Kerb.JPG
    961.2 KB · Views: 42
  • Double Kerb 1.JPG
    Double Kerb 1.JPG
    902.3 KB · Views: 41
  • Double Kerb 2.JPG
    Double Kerb 2.JPG
    190.6 KB · Views: 40
Next up is a really well preserved building opposite St Basil's Homeless Shelter. The second one is the building next door which had undergone some 'improvements'.

Attachments

• Heath Mill Lane.JPG
    Heath Mill Lane.JPG
    796.2 KB · Views: 22
  • Heath Mill Lane 1.JPG
    Heath Mill Lane 1.JPG
    863.5 KB · Views: 21
This may be better on the pubs thread but as it's no longer a pub I've put it here. The Forge Tavern, Digbeth is now 'The Mulberry Guest House'. Sorry it's not a pub any more but nice to see that it hasn't been knocked down.

Attachments

• Forge Tavern.JPG
    Forge Tavern.JPG
    657.4 KB · Views: 26
Lady p,

Out here in Crete they erect concrete bollards about a car length apart and about a foot high in the single kerbs to stop parking. Seems quite effective as they are not even long enough to reverse into either. Will try and take a photo next time I am in the area.

Maurice

mike i was in town last friday..walked from the library picking my way through to colmore row and i really felt claustrophobic ...these new builds are being built closer and closer together :mad:

Agreed, Lyn, the buildings are getting taller and closer, and even in daylight hours, at ground level the city is getting darker. And at night time, the areas are becoming ghost towns, as I noticed in Manchester in the mid-1980s. Never mind, if they can build on another square inch and make even more money, they certainly won't consult the public. They'll probably pulling them down again in 40 years!

Maurice

Agreed, Lyn, the buildings are getting taller and closer, and even in daylight hours, at ground level the city is getting darker. And at night time, the areas are becoming ghost towns, as I noticed in Manchester in the mid-1980s. Never mind, if they can build on another square inch and make even more money, they certainly won't consult the public. They'll probably pulling them down again in 40 years!

Maurice
40 years? As long as that? :scream:

How long did that monstrosity of the nat west building in Colmore Row last, that is now a big hole (and blocking off half of Newhall St)?

it is as i have always said buildings that were built 40/50 years ago have sell by dates on them and the sell by dates in my opinion will only get shorter

lyn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back