• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Photos - how to upload in posts

Hughes

master brummie
Is it possible to post a photo from my computor
Regards
J Hughes

Last edited by a moderator:

davidfowler

Exiled Brummie
It's been some time since I uploaded a photo and have searched for such a topic but can't find one. Could someone kindly remind me how please?
Thanks
David

Tony Chell

This information is a little old, what is the current best practise for posting pictures? Insert in the message or upload elsewhere and use a link?

cookie273uk

master brummie
Tony, I type message then click 'attach files', click 'open' on selected file/pic, then select thumbnail or full. Eric

ChrisM

Super Moderator
Staff member
My usual method too, Eric, but today it doesn't seem to want to work. Clicking "attach file" doesn't do anything. May be me. Still mucking about with it.

Chris

(PS Chrome was playing up - OK in Edge....so it was me, not the system
PPS If anyone else has a similar problem - no reaction when you click Attach File - I found it to be a Chrome Extension named Search Encrypt which had infiltrated itself. Removed it and all is well)

Last edited:

oldMohawk

master brummie
I use exactly the same method as Eric does. One thing to remember is before clicking 'thumbnail' or 'full' position your pointer where you want the picture to appear. If your pointer is left between words etc then your pic would appear there.
If your post does not look like you want it use 'Edit' which can delete pics if your want to. Useful if you accidently attached the wrong pic.

Tony Chell

cookie273uk, i'll have to work out the difference between posting a thumbnail and full image :)
I was more concerned over bandwidth, if you post the pics then BHF take all the traffic, if you use a hosting site it reduces BHF traffic. As a newbie i don't know if BHF have any worries over traffic.
Would also like to know if there's any rules or recommendations for image/file sizes

ChrisM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tony, this question cropped up fairly recently and the official comment was that the Forum has no real problem with bandwidth. I still tend to try to limit myself to around 200kb as that seems adequate for the vast majority of images posted but it does seem that there isn't much concern if it goes well over that.

Difference between thumbnail and full is that if you select thumbnail the image will appear in the post as just that and anyone viewing the post will need to click on the thumbnail to see the expanded image. Alternatively, full will give the viewer full size without any further action.

Chris

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just to add that 200kb is usually ample size for the forum, but for certain items, such as a very large map, the forum seems to accept up to 1 mb

cookie273uk

master brummie
Life can be so complicated, I l like simplicity and my way in post #20 is just that and works every time even in repeat multiple images. Eric

oldMohawk

master brummie
Hi Jean,
If you are using Windows try Eric's method below which uses the Windows built-in Paint program.

If you are using an iPad or iPhone try emailing it to yourself this automatically reduces file size. I just tried this and it reduced a 5.1Mb screenshot pic to 133Kb. The limit on the forum is 1Mb.
I find the following way the easiest to 'down size' pics/files for uploading
(1) right click on selected pic
(2)click 'open with'
(3) click 'paint'
(4) press Control and letter W together, in the resulting box reduce from 100% to (say) 50%, click OK click 'x' in top right hand corner. Eric

Last edited:

Homer999

Just found the site and have been trawling through various threads etc. How do I go about uploading a couple of photos for small heath area? Not sure how brilliant they will be once I have scanned them in tho

oldMohawk

master brummie
Just found the site and have been trawling through various threads etc. How do I go about uploading a couple of photos for small heath area? Not sure how brilliant they will be once I have scanned them in tho
Have a look at the following forum link for the method of uploading photos ... :)

johnny082

proper brummie kid
Due to age not good with computers so need help please. Probably not right thread but searched and cannot find another. It is to do with photos that folk have put in. They talk about the photos but on most there is no actual photo to be seen. What do I do to find the actual photo.