• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Photographer RW Thrupp

Dragon

proper brummie kid
I have a copy of a photograph purporting to be of my 3rd great grandmother Charlotte Middleton (nee Dawson) b1779 d 1853.
Dawson, Charlotte.jpg
The photographer's name was WR Thrupp, Birmingham. Can anyone please tell me when this photographer worked and where they were situated? Would like to know if it is possible that this photographer could have taken this photograph before 1853.

Thanks in anticipation.

Dragon

Last edited:
Photographer to Her Majesty the Queen, favoured by the rich and famous, travelled the world, his photo's can still be bought both here and in America and still can't find any information about the man himself, oh, and yes he died a multi- millionaire. Perhaps the Birmingham Library may have more info

bren

Thanks Colin, I'll have a look at the links you've kindly given me but looks like jury's still out on whether this could have been taken before 1853

Dragon

Robert White Thrupp maintained a studio at 66 New St till sometime between 1884 & 1888.In 1867 his business is described as photographer, printseller, carver & gilder, stationer & fine arts repository, but by 1876 he is just described as a photographer. In 1873 his home is listed as Greenbank, Moseley.
There was a Thrupp connection before that. In 1862 the Corporation directory lists Hill & Thrupp, printsellers at 66 New St. This was associated in then 1862 directory with W.R.Thrupp at 106 Wheeley’s Road. This was possibly his father, or he may for some reason have swopped round his initials. . In 1858 it had been Everitt & Hill, printsellers & publishers, carvers & gilders.

I have a copy of a photograph purporting to be of my 3rd great grandmother Charlotte Middleton (nee Dawson) b1779 d 1853.
View attachment 81390
The photographer's name was WR Thrupp, Birmingham. Can anyone please tell me when this photographer worked and where they were situated? Would like to know if it is possible that this photographer could have taken this photograph before 1853.

Thanks in anticipation.

Dragon
I too have a photo by Thrupp of my gggg grandmother who married in 1799. Is Thrupps business name printed on the back of the original, as is mine?

Back