• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Photo Repair Please

Hi, I used Gimp 2.10.
Excellent! Good to meet you. I shall have a search right away.
I've been with Gimp since v2.6 but really got using it again from 2.10 onwards when bump-mapping and displacement went onto the main screen – that doesn't mean I know a great deal about image restoration though; I'm more into Gimp, Inkscape and Blender for the image, meme and book cover creation side.
Photoshop has some real slick timesavers, but I'm old-school and prefer Gimp's subscription model – I'd rather pay in supporting others when I can rather than stumping up cash I've barely got.

Hi Richard, I suppose one description of Windows 11 is that it is Windows 10 with a 'shiny new wrapper'. Every app/program/file I used with Win 10 works with Win 11.

I would think that computers sold from October will either have Win 11 installed or Win 10 with free upgrade to Win 11 and by Christmas all retail computers will have Win 11.

Windows 11 this morning on my laptop ... it looks a bit like Windows 7 ...
View attachment 161918
Desktop background with some shortcut icons
Taskbar at the bottom with apps etc
I guess any further discussion should move to a new thread ... ;)
Thank you, good information oldMohawk! I think I will look for computers with 11 pre installed and see if there is any pricing difference from the retailer. I having been running on 10 since it came out.

I appreciate that this topic has been used a lot recently and I do not want to abuse the kindness of those kind people who help.
This photo is my 2x grt grandfather, it is in very poor condition under broken glass in a locket. Is anyone able to help to improve the picture?
Thank you. Davenport

Attachments

• EE3A9566-2E20-4AA1-A26B-EB33A6F58E74.jpeg
    EE3A9566-2E20-4AA1-A26B-EB33A6F58E74.jpeg
    284.7 KB · Views: 42
I appreciate that this topic has been used a lot recently and I do not want to abuse the kindness of those kind people who help.
This photo is my 2x grt grandfather, it is in very poor condition under broken glass in a locket. Is anyone able to help to improve the picture?
Thank you. Davenport
Hi Davenport, I've had a go but not very satisfactory. If it's restoration is important to you then it needs an expert ... :)
mod__2.jpeg

Hi Davenport, I've had a go but not very satisfactory. If it's restoration is important to you then it needs an expert ... :)
View attachment 161931 Hi oldMohawk, THANK YOU so much for your enhancement of my photograph.I didn’t really expect that you could improve especially as the original is only 2cm x 1.5 cm and the photo of the locket was the best I could do ! Cheers.

I don't think we could ask for much more unless the glass can come off without damage*thumbs up*

My method was
1) Rotate the whole image right 13°
2) Mirror the lower left part of his face to right
3) Did not touch his eyes because it seems to lose character.
There are 'libraries' of eyes which can be copied and inserted but they are not pixels from original.
4) Fill in the area of his chin and decide whether he had a beard ... or not ...
5) I decided that he did have a beard so worked on that.
6) Mirrored parts of his right coat to left.
7) Cloned from a grey area to produce a background.
8) Worked on his hair.
9) I then noticed in my edit that his face was looking thinner than original so had to cage transform it wider ... :rolleyes:
10) Rotated whole image left 13°

I can now see many things I could have done better ... ;)

Thank you. Davenport
1632840625791.png

Thought I'd give it a try (it's raining hard and I was due to be outside). I stopped when I ran out of proof as to what I was doing was nearly right, although I reckoned there was the look of Adam Ant in the original – maybe I could sync *him* in...

QB

My method was
1) Rotate the whole image right 13°
2) Mirror the lower left part of his face to right
3) Did not touch his eyes because it seems to lose character.
There are 'libraries' of eyes which can be copied and inserted but they are not pixels from original.
4) Fill in the area of his chin and decide whether he had a beard ... or not ...
5) I decided that he did have a beard so worked on that.
6) Mirrored parts of his right coat to left.
7) Cloned from a grey area to produce a background.
8) Worked on his hair.
9) I then noticed in my edit that his face was looking thinner than original so had to cage transform it wider ... :rolleyes:
10) Rotated whole image left 13°

I can now see many things I could have done better ... ;)
You are a ⭐

View attachment 161955Qu

Thought I'd give it a try (it's raining hard and I was due to be outside). I stopped when I ran out of proof as to what I was doing was nearly right, although I reckoned there was the look of Adam Ant in the original – maybe I could sync *him* in...

QB
View attachment 161955

QB
Hi Qu.Be, THANK YOU as well for your work, its great.
I’m thankful for a rainy day . Davenport.

The lady/girl holding the baby looks particularly young in the last edit.

Also see (being nosy) that the Bennett's lived on Bridge Road from at least 1901 until 1965. Were they the only occupants of no 19 from construction to demolition?
I don't recognise the young girl in the photo but in answer to your question the Bennetts lived in the house for the whole of the time as far as I know. The property was built around the turn of the century and the occupants that I know of were

George & Annie Bennett till their deaths (Gt Grandparents) and their children
followed by
John and Emily Bennett till their deaths (George & Annie's son and daughter-in-law) and their children
followed by
Lilian and Victor Bennett, daughter and son of John & Emily - my father's sister and brother.
Then the house was demolished to make way for Spaghetti junction.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Can any body help to improve this photo please?
It's for another thread Thomas Eaves

photo repair.jpeg

Gave it a try - there's not too much to work with, regards, John.

Attachments

• photo April 2023.jpg
    photo April 2023.jpg
    330.3 KB · Views: 21
  • Photo vers. 2 - APRIL 2023.jpg
    Photo vers. 2 - APRIL 2023.jpg
    435.2 KB · Views: 20
Could anyone help with this photo please from our Aunt's family album... She couldn't remember where in South Birmingham the shop was but what a shop window full of goodies!

Attachments

• 882.jpg
    882.jpg
    452.6 KB · Views: 32
Great photo. Is that a G or a C and what does it stand for?

There is a George Homer, Grocer & Provision Dealer, on Nechells Park Road in 1901 & still there in 1911, when he is a Grocer Master and son an assistant.

Last edited:
Back