• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Photo Repair Please

View attachment 161955Qu

Thought I'd give it a try (it's raining hard and I was due to be outside). I stopped when I ran out of proof as to what I was doing was nearly right, although I reckoned there was the look of Adam Ant in the original – maybe I could sync *him* in...

QB
View attachment 161955

Thought I'd give it a try (it's raining hard and I was due to be outside). I stopped when I ran out of proof as to what I was doing was nearly right, although I reckoned there was the look of Adam Ant in the original – maybe I could sync *him* in...

QB
Hi Qu.Be, THANK YOU as well for your work, its great.
I’m thankful for a rainy day . Davenport.

The lady/girl holding the baby looks particularly young in the last edit.

Also see (being nosy) that the Bennett's lived on Bridge Road from at least 1901 until 1965. Were they the only occupants of no 19 from construction to demolition?
I don't recognise the young girl in the photo but in answer to your question the Bennetts lived in the house for the whole of the time as far as I know. The property was built around the turn of the century and the occupants that I know of were

George & Annie Bennett till their deaths (Gt Grandparents) and their children
followed by
John and Emily Bennett till their deaths (George & Annie's son and daughter-in-law) and their children
followed by
Lilian and Victor Bennett, daughter and son of John & Emily - my father's sister and brother.
Then the house was demolished to make way for Spaghetti junction.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Can any body help to improve this photo please?
It's for another thread Thomas Eaves

photo repair.jpeg

Gave it a try - there's not too much to work with, regards, John.

Attachments

• photo April 2023.jpg
    photo April 2023.jpg
    330.3 KB · Views: 21
  • Photo vers. 2 - APRIL 2023.jpg
    Photo vers. 2 - APRIL 2023.jpg
    435.2 KB · Views: 20
Could anyone help with this photo please from our Aunt's family album... She couldn't remember where in South Birmingham the shop was but what a shop window full of goodies!

Attachments

• 882.jpg
    882.jpg
    452.6 KB · Views: 32
Great photo. Is that a G or a C and what does it stand for?

There is a George Homer, Grocer & Provision Dealer, on Nechells Park Road in 1901 & still there in 1911, when he is a Grocer Master and son an assistant.

Last edited:
Not certain as to the date. There is a Cecil R Homer, shookeeper at 20 Macdonald St in 1932 to 1950 and a George Homer & Son, grocers, 106 Bordesley green in 1921

Last edited:
Great photo. Is that a G or a C and what does it stand for?

There is a George Homer, Grocer & Provision Dealer, on Nechells Park Road in 1901 & still there in 1911, when he is a Grocer Master and son an assistant.
I thought it was a C but comparing it to the"C" in cocoa over the door I think perhaps it is a "G".

1900 Kelly's but the shop sign does not have & sons so it makes me doubt this one.
1698324057264.png

The father of the George I mentioned was also called George and they (both Georges) are on Great Lister St in 1891. The younger George and a brother are listed as grocer but the father isn't as that time.

In 1901 the elder George was on Coleshill St but a retired Harness Maker, the brother (John) was a Provision Merchant on Green Lane.

Last edited:
Not certain as to the date. There is a Cecil R Homer, shookeeper at 20 Macdonald St in 1932 to 1950 and a George Homer & Son, grocers, 106 Bordesley green in 1921
Some similarities with the present 106 Bordesley Green, downpipe has been removed and brickwork rendered so difficult to say.

Attachments

• 106-bordeley-green.jpg
    106-bordeley-green.jpg
    872.5 KB · Views: 11
Some similarities with the present 106 Bordesley Green, downpipe has been removed and brickwork rendered so difficult to say.
Going back to streetview 2008 rules no. 106 out, the window is completely different. Number 104 looks a better possibility, perhaps numbering changed.

Attachments

• 104-bordesley-green.jpg
    104-bordesley-green.jpg
    775.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Hi Smudger. Can't do much with this at the moment as the file size is too small. Could you scan the photo at a higher resolution?
Sorry John, i don`t have a scanner. Don`t worry if you can`t improve the photo. It was a long shot.

Back