• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Photo of women in white

Maria Magenta

master brummie
Ninjas.jpg
Found among the photos of a relative who died recently. Has any one else got anything similar, and do you think it's from around the end of the First World War? Are the girls wearing their new Whitsun clothes, perhaps?

You have a box full of magic there.Sadly I am not to good on fashions but keep those photos coming , they are great. You may find some of our PhotoShop wizards may upload repaired copies of them.( Hint Hint.) They are very good at it.;)

time it was, oh what a time it was, I have a photograph, it's all that's left to me.......................................................

Marie I do have a very damaged photo where all the class are dressed in white will sort it and post if for you. Jean.

This photo was repaired with the other half by someone on the forum but I can't for the life of me find it. Will take a proper look later. Jean.

Jean. Would the picture of the girls in white Dresses be a picture of their Church Confirmation or 1st Communion ? Miriam/

I thought that myself Miriam but when the other half is attached there are an awful lot of young girls. My aunt always said it was a school but that is all I can remember. Jean.

The picture reminded me of one of my great grandmother with her husband and baby (my granddad who was born in 1912).

I can date this picture via the dob of my granddad to just before WW1 if it's any help.

The second picture shows just her with her son, so I guess either during the war or just after, but again she is wearing white.

Sarah

You think its an early judo pic, the one on the right being "black belt", just a thought!!
Bernard
Bernard,

I had the same thought as you but, on reflection, the dresses seem very complicated for physical activity even for early 20th Century. I am now thinking that perhaps the black belt is in mourning perhaps for a husband or boy friend lost during the war.

Old Boy

My American cousin also thought of judo or yoga, but I think the belted style of dress would have been a bit restricting, though it's a nice idea!

The black belt as mourning I hadn't thought of. It does look a bit wrong; white or a pale colour would have been better. Likewise the other girl's black shoes and stockings don't quite 'go,' but perhaps she didn't have any pale ones.

Sarah's photos made me think how hard laundry must have been! Unless you could send things to a commercial laundry, in which case it would have been some one else's problem. One of my grandmothers was a laundry maid.

Maria I watched a programme about the worlds worst jobs and one was the women whose job it was to do the laundry by hand. The lime that was used eventually took the skin off their hands and fingers. Also the constant rubbing of the white sheets. Jean.

Ninjas.jpg
Found among the photos of a relative who died recently. Has any one else got anything similar, and do you think it's from around the end of the First World War? Are the girls wearing their new Whitsun clothes, perhaps?
I have heard that ladies in mourning sometimes wore white,

Back