• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Photo of my Mom in Brum somewhere. Anyone know where?

Maris

master brummie
Someone I haven't seen for a long time today sent me this photo of our mothers. I was wondering if anyone might know where it might be?
To be honest I'm not sure it is even in Birmingham but as they are both Brummie girls it is likely to be.

Cheers.

Celia_and_mom.jpg

Someone I haven't seen for a long time today sent me this photo of our mothers. I was wondering if anyone might know where it might be?
To be honest I'm not sure it is even in Birmingham but as they are both Brummie girls it is likely to be.

Cheers.

View attachment 153354
Lovely photograph Maris. Yes, I would have said Lewis’ rooftop cafe. Kind regards

Cheers.

View attachment 153354
Love this photo. I like the stylish clothing, the little stand up collar on the blouse and the belted waists. Jen

Regarding the location of the photo.
Pic 1 shows Lewis's roof in 1951 and some round tables bottom centre. The view through through the fence from that position would not have shown the view in the photo. St Philips just visible in top left corner.
Pic1_lewiss_1951.jpg

Pic 2 shows enlargement of the tables with a fence behind them.
Pic2_lewiss_1951.jpg

Pic 3 shows the tables from a different view and items can be seen through the fence.
Pic3_lewiss_1951.jpg

As a young teenagers we often went to town on Saturday mornings and usually visited Lewis's roof. On the times I visited I can't recall seeing trellis on the scaringly low perimeter walls. They must have later moved the tables to the perimeter wall facing Bull St and fixed a trellis behind them.

Hi Maris,
What a lovely picture. My first thought was Paris or Rome, Lewis's should have kept this going. I'd have loved to have gone up there. Very Breakfast at Tiffany's

Maris.jpg

I too miss Lewis's very much. I can still smell the aroma of the food hall and hear the rattle of the escalators. I think it was the new road layout that caused the final death of this department store. It was cut off from the main part of the shopping centre. Birmingham always seems to do this. I can see House of Fraser (always Rackham's to me) going the same way.

Hasn't Rackhams already gone? Certainly they looked on their last legs when I went in over a year ago

Amazon is killing them all anyway. House of Frazer here in Edinburgh is on its way out with the closure of Jenners

Hello Limes, Just a guess, but maybe that is St Philip's Cathedral in the background and maybe your Mom is in Rackhams?
Anthea

Last edited:
Back