• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Photo insertions

Bob Davis

Bob Davis
I have four postcards to put on the FORUM, but my history in this department is pretty rubbish, so tomorrow I will scan them at work and put them on as posts. I can scan as ODD or JPEG, please can someone advise me how to get them so that they look proper and not like thumbnails, or can I message them to a more computer literate member?
Bob

If you click on "reply" , then on "attach files" in the bottom of the entry that comes up, then this brings you to the files on your computer. If you thern click on the photo file it will download the fiel to the site and you can choose to have it as a thumbnail or a full photo and then post on thread

Hi Bob, the best format for uploads to the forum is jpeg or jpg and the official instructions for photo uploads are here
Practice with any pic in this thread you have started and when you are happy with the procedure post your pic in the relevant thread.
:oops:

Last edited:
I now find the method for posting photos on this site VERY easy (compared to how it was a couple of years ago)

The only thing you need to remember is to select if you want a thumbnail or the full image displayed in your update.

A couple of times I have had an error message that the file was too large to display (not large as in inches but large is in megabytes) but after opening and saving the file in a lower quality it reduces the file size considerably and can then be displayed.

Eric (cookie273uk) posted a simple method for reducing image file sizes here
I find the following way the easiest to 'down size' pics/files for uploading
(1) right click on selected pic
(2)click 'open with'
(3) click 'paint'
(4) press Control and letter W together, in the resulting box reduce from 100% to (say) 50%, click OK click 'x' in top right hand corner.
(5) Save the reduced pic with a different file name

Last edited:
Taken some great photos but only have a I Pad so can't show mores the pity.

I use the method below to upload from my iPad or iPhone.

Uploading pics from an iPad ... practice with a test image in this thread and see if this works for you ... :)

1. Go to the thread/topic where you want to add your message with it's image

2. Write your reply in the reply box

3. Touch 'Attach files' button - a dialogue box will appear.

4. Touch 'Browse' and search for the photo you want from your files or photo gallery.

5. Touch the photo thumbnail pic in your gallery etc.

6. The photo will upload to the forum and show as small thumbnail with the words 'Insert' 'Thumbnail' 'Full image' to the right of it.

7. Tap where you want the image to appear in your post. Usually immediately under your message.

8. Touch 'Full image' button and a full size image will appear in your message.

9. Touch 'Post Reply'' and your post will appear with the image on the forum.

Last edited:
Help! I've been trying to add a photo to a conversation but it wants a URL with no option to insert directly. Could someone please remind me how to do it?

You can't insert a jpg or png file into a conversation. If you want to keep the photo in the BHF put it into the Image Host (Coppermine) and insert the URL link to it into your conversation.

I just remembered another easy way I've used ...
Edit insert the photo into an old post of yours.
Right click on the photo and copy it's image address
Put the link to it in your conversation.

After your correspondent has seen the photo (possibly saved it) you can go back to your old post and edit remove it.
:)

Except that for some members, including me, It seems impossible to access Coppermine. Have tried with Warren to change password etc, but it does not seem to recognise me. Does not worry me though as I do not now use it

I just logged in to Coppermine but is does show an error and looks as if I am not logged but when I hit home I am logged in. My main use is for uploading PDF files and the 'Keith Berry' and other photo archives are stored there. Whole folders of images can be uploaded in one go, which was useful for recovering images in recent years.

I just don't get past the first page even after I know it works for many and had a discussion with Warren some time ago, but gave up. Cannot go past first page even after changing password

When I login I get the error shown in first pic
20210112_203022925_iOS.jpg
But when I hit 'Home' top left on the error screen I get the screen below ... logged in.
20210112_203121383_iOS.jpg
All strange but I'm glad it works for me particularly with pdfs... :)
ps: I notice I used it 4th August 2020 to put pics in conversations.

I also got the error message when I tried to upload to coppermine but on closer inspection noticed that the photo had in fact uploaded! However Old Mohawks suggestion about putting the picture into an old post gave me an idea - I had already posted the photo on Facebook and was able to use the url to that in order to add it to my conversation. Many thanks for your help. John

There is usually a 'work-around' with computers and forums ... :)

On the subject of 'inserted' photos, I can easily search for and find inserted photos on the BHF but have not yet found a method of successfully finding attatched photos ... which are those showing as separate thumbnails under posts ... they seem invisible to searches ... :cool:

Back