• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Photo Editing Programmes

H

harborne

Hi all

Can anyone recommend a really good photo editing programme that can be downloaded, please?

Harborne

If you're looking for a Free application, a good one to start with from Google is:https://picasa.google.com/

Quite basic but with most Google applications well thought out.

'Photoshop Elements' is often packaged freely with printers, scanners and the like.

Another fan of Picasa 3 here too. I do have Photoshop Elements 6 & love that as well but most of the time I use Picasa as it's so easy & quick to use.:)

Even though I have other Photo software, I downloaded Picasa 3 last night and am impressed. It re-organised all my photos, and it's the first time I have seen them in nice tidy albums on screen. The editing is good for general use as well. The only thing it couldn't do was play sound in the mp4 videos from my Fuiji camera - but I can get round that !
many thanks
oldmohawk

I do a lot of photo editing and I started off using free programs and found it best to use more than one as some are good at one thing and some at another.
If you're gonna be doing a lot of editing then I'd suggest you bite the bullet and buy Adobe Photoshop Elements 6.0, it's widely recognised as the Best of Breed and I wouldn't be without it.
It'll cost you something in the region of £80.00 but Christmas is coming so maybe you can drop a few hints?;)
Anyway, best of luck
Jerry.

I do tons of photo editing and whilst the free ones are quite good, they are limited and once you become familiar with them and get used to photo manipulation you will feel restricted in what you want to do.
The 3 best are Adobe Elements 6
Serif Photoshop
Coral Paintshop Pro X2
I have them all, they are all roughly the same price £80,
You can download 30 day free trials of each.
I would love the full blown version of Adobe, but at £600
no way.

Hi all

Wow! £600! Thanks all of you for your help, I'll download Picasa and Serif and see how I get on.

Cheers.

Harborne

I have Adobe Master Collection CS3 Professional which includes Photoshop CS3.
Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X1 + 10, 9 and 8 I use Corel 8 the most as said previous you can use different parts of the progams in application that suit what ever you are working on, I also use several other photo software programs

A ten year jump from the previous post ... :D
The latest version Gimp 2.10 works well with Windows 10. The hours fly by when playing with 'cage' and 'n point' transformation.
It works as shown in the short video clip

I have found Photoscape 3.7 excellent - free and easy to use with plenty of features. Note: don't go for Photoscape X as that doesn't include the clone tool unless you pay!

I've been using a sharpening program (free) which will only sharpen blurred faces and seems to work well. The software only works on Android or iOS (apple) systems, it can be made to operate on Windows but the effort is not worth the trouble. The app is called "Remini" and obtained from Google play or apple app store. I am posting a couple of before and after pictures. John.

Attachments

• example 2019.jpg
    example 2019.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 16
  • blur(2) 2019.jpg
    blur(2) 2019.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 17
  • Ged_Bonnie_C (1).jpg
    Ged_Bonnie_C (1).jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Ged_Bonnie_D (2).jpg
    Ged_Bonnie_D (2).jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Sample_A (1).jpg
    Sample_A (1).jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Sample_B (2).jpg
    Sample_B (2).jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 13
I've been using a sharpening program (free) which will only sharpen blurred faces and seems to work well. The software only works on Android or iOS (apple) systems, it can be made to operate on Windows but the effort is not worth the trouble. The app is called "Remini" and obtained from Google play or apple app store. I am posting a couple of before and after pictures. John.
That’s impressive

The RAF Lady in the photo died a fortnight ago, I had the photo coloured by the guys on here and framed it for her 100th birthday, I can't remember if it was last year or the year before.

It was in December 2019.

I am using Adobe Photoshop Elements 11, it’s not free but well worth the cost. Watch out for the special offers especially just before the yearly update Don’t pay for the update each year the increased cost rarely brings sufficient features to justify the outlay. I update every five or six years. Since retiring retouching old family pictures is my escape from boredom?

I use Photoscape which is free, it's easy to use and has all the usual edit functions such as adding text, numerous tools, paint brush, clone stamp etc

as a coin collector being able to crop a round image is very useful for me

Thanks for finding the original post oldMohawk, so she was 101 when she died, haven't heard anything about a funeral yet I think there's a long backlog.

Back