• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Phillips

I would think that obtaining her birth certificate is the best way to find her exact birth date. Do you have any idea where she was born?
I have found a marriage for an Albert Phillips and Florence Carter in 1928 - gives her Father's name as John. The other witness is a Mary Carter (could be Mother or sister).

View attachment 101346

If this is correct then on the 1911 census John is a widower and Mary (2) a daughter, other siblings include Ellen (10), Harry (4), Job (21), Charles (19) and Ann (John's Mother). It almost makes me think it might be two families ie John married twice with the age gap in the children. Address is 19 Gopsall Street.
Janice
Janice, could you let me have Alberts Phillips fathers name please.

Thank you

Nick S Phillips ‍♂️

Last edited:

Thank you

Nick S Phillips ‍♂

Ni
Janice, I have uncle Albert E Phillips who I've spent hours trying to trace, my records say he was born in 1896 but I have found other Phillips give the wrong date of birth at marriage

Thank you

Nick S Phillips ‍♂

Ni
Janice, I have an uncle Albert born in 1898 but I've found Phillips give the wrong age at marriages, the Albert I'm looking for found it difficult when two brothers died in W W 1 he went missing

The marriage cert I found is on post #19. It gives Albert's Father as another Albert. This use of the same name makes it very confusing.

Janice, I have an uncle Albert born in 1898 but I've found Phillips give the wrong age at marriages, the Albert I'm looking for found it difficult when two brothers died in W W 1 he went missing

He might be easier to find if you say the name of his two brothers.

I'm researching my family history and have discovered that Nephi Phillips born in 1848 in Kings Norton was my 2nd great grandfather. His parent were George and Elizabeth from Breedon Cross. Please get in touch anyone who thinks we are related.

I'm researching my family history and have discovered that Nephi Phillips born in 1848 in Kings Norton was my 2nd great grandfather. His parent were George and Elizabeth from Breedon Cross. Please get in touch anyone who thinks we are related.
Hi, As stated in my original post Nephi is my gt. gt. grandfather. As you are too then we are definitely related. I’m interested to find out which line you descend from. My gr gran was Nephi’s daughter Elizabeth.
Do you have any information on George and Elizabeth?

Hi, As stated in my original post Nephi is my gt. gt. grandfather. As you are too then we are definitely related. I’m interested to find out which line you descend from. My gr gran was Nephi’s daughter Elizabeth.
Do you have any information on George and Elizabeth?

We are definitely related. Nephi’s Daughter Elizabeth was also my great nan. She had 4 children Arthur, Gladys, Eva and Cyril. Eva is my nan. We never met her as my dad Arthur was only 3 when she passed away. Eva had 11 children. I've been doing the family tree on Ancestery. So where do you fit into the family?

We are definitely related. Nephi’s Daughter Elizabeth was also my great nan. She had 4 children Arthur, Gladys, Eva and Cyril. Eva is my nan. We never met her as my dad Arthur was only 3 when she passed away. Eva had 11 children. I've been doing the family tree on Ancestery. So where do you fit into the family?
Yes she had 4 children. Cyril was my grandad! Wow this is great!!! I have a tree on ancestry but haven’t used it in years. I knew that Eva had passed away when she was young but didn’t realise she had 11 children, but I’d need to check on my tree and notes to see exactly what info I have. This is exciting!!! Arthur and Gladys both married and had children but they have all passed away now. There are quite a few children and grandchildren. Can you pm me and we can chat further?

Does Raymond "Taffy" Phillips ring any bells?
Hi, my great grandfather was George Phillips born in Stirchley in 1836, his Baptism list his address as Dog Pool, as it is does for his brothers William 1838, John 1834 & Edward 1843.
His father was William Phillips 1806 I can only establish where he was born from the 1841 census as Kings Norton Worcestershire, England, his wife was Martha Buggins from Wilnecote. The census has them living at Moor Green, Kings Norton.
I have drawn a blank on Williams parents. Could he be connected to your family. In later census the family are living in Stirchley Street which I believe is now Pershore Road. Any help would be appreciated

Hi Janet,

I’ve checked all of your Phillips against mine but have none that match the dates unfortunately. There maybe a connection further back but I’ve checked on my branches and can’t see any possible connections at the moment.
There is a Phillips DNA project that may help with your quest but equally it will help the project. Have a look further back in this thread to the post from Nancy.
Best wishes

Back