• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Philip Henry Burt Fitch - searching for a photo

11kilo

Brummie babby
Hello:

I am looking for information or a photo of the following officer who fell in the Great War for a book that I am writing.

Cheers
Andy

Philip Henry Burt Fitch

Medals: Military Cross, British War Medal, Victory Medal

Educated at King Edward’s School, Birmingham from 1911 to 1915

Commissioned as 2nd Lieut., RFA (TF) in the 3/3rd South Midland Bde, RFA (TF) on 23 Dec 15

Posted to D Battery, 77th Brigade, RFA on 7 Dec 16

77th Bde and 177th Bde, RFA were both part of the 16th (Irish) Divisional Artillery and Fitch probably transferred to D/177th Bde, RFA on 22 Feb 1917 when 77th Bde became an Army Brigade and its D (H) Bty was broken up to bring D/177 and D/180 up to six gun batteries.

MC for action in June 1917, annotated award: Arras and Vimy Ridge. Early Ypres. Messines Ridge.

Citation: "For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty in accompanying another officer and a serjeant into a gun emplacement in which a serious explosion had taken place, bringing out the killed and wounded and extinguishing a fire caused by the explosion amongst the ammunition."

Killed while engaged in night-firing by a shell from a field gun on 23 July 1917.

Sources: Service Record of King Edward’s School, Birmingham 1914-1919; War Diary of 77th Brigade, RFA; Order of Battle of Divisions, Part 3A; various Army Lists.

Wiki says:

16th Irish Division was established by the Irish Command in September 1914, as part of Kitchener's Second New Army. They moved to England and into barracks in Aldershot by the end of the month. Some units were transferred to the 37th and Guards Divisions when they were formed in 1915, amongst them the Divisional Ammunition Column, being renamed accordingly. A new 16th Divisional Ammunition Column joined 16th (Irish) Division in France on the 22nd of February 1916. Later that year they were in action on the Somme during the The Battle of Guillemont in which the Division captured the village and The Battle of Ginchy. In 1917 they fought at the The Battle of Messines and The Battle of Langemark, during the Third Battles of Ypres. In 1918 they were in action on the Somme 1918 suffering very heavy casualties. On the 18th of June 1918 the Division returned England and was reconstituted loosing almost all of its remaining Irish units at this point. The reformed Division returned to France on the 1st of August 1918 and fought in The Final Advance in Artois.

In early 1917, the division took a major part in the Battle of Messines alongside the 36th (Ulster) Division, adding to both their recognition and reputation. Their major actions ended in the summer of 1917 at the Battle of Passchendaele after coming under the command of General Hubert Gough and the Fifth Army. In July 1917, during the Third Battle of Ypres, although both divisions were totally exhausted after 13 days of moving weighty equipment under heavy shelling, Gough ordered the battalions to advance through deep mud towards well fortified German positions left untouched by totally inadequate artillery preparation.[6] By mid August, the 16th had suffered over 4,200 casualties, the 36th almost 3,600, or more than 50% of their numbers. General Haig was very critical of Gough for "playing the Irish card"

Philip Henry burt Fitch birth reg. Barton Regis Gloucs 1897.parents Albert and Bride.
Albert Edward Fitch had married Bride Harris Burt in 1894 Somerset

1901 Mill House, Bolehall and Glascote Warks(now part of Tamworth)

Albert E Fitch age 32 b. Congerstone Leics Firelighter Manufacturer -Employer
Bride H Fitch age 30 born Camelford Cornwall
Irene J age 5 b. Clevedon Somerset
Philip H B age 3 b. Bristol Gloucs

1911 in Wyndham Road Edgbaston
Albert E age 42 is a Manufacturer of Firelighters, Boot and Metal polishes.
Bride harris Fitch is 40
Irene Jane 15
Philip Henry Burt 13.

Thank you Alberta, this is most helpful.

Anyone got ideas on where I might be able to find a photo?

Cheers
Andy

Hi 11kilo
This is how I found a photo of my Grandfather when none existed in the family.
He was KIA in September 1915 so I looked in the newspaper achives at Bham Library and found him in the Birmingham Weekly Post between the dates June 1915 and January 1916 and along with him were the photos of his four brothers who were serving in the Army at the same time and they all survived so that was a bonus.

Good luck, Acklam19

Hi there,

New to the forum and am also interested in Lt Fitch. I have his MC and am interested in finding as much as I can about him so this is a very interesting thread! I would like to find his Victory Medal and War medal as well as Death Plaque. If anyone can help. let me know? I am also intested in finding a photo of him.Inscription.jpgMC Close up.jpg

Did you just buy it on ebay? Or are you the seller?

I have his other medals

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Andy, yes just bought. That's interesting. How much do you want for them? Have you got the death plaque for him too? Steve

Hi Andy, would be interested in selling me his other medals? I'll give you a good price as it would be nice to have all three? Steve

Could I suggest you do your bidding via Instant Message as the forum has a policy about selling.

Bernie

Philip’s mother’s death was registered in March 1941 at Hampstead. I suspect you already have her probate record, but I’ve copied it here just in case: Bride Harris Fitch (nee Burt) widow died 10 January 1941 of 3 Bradhurst Gardens, Hampstead, Middlesex Probate Birmingham to Irene Jane Fitch spinster and Thomas Birch Fitch solicitor. Effects £1617 2s 2d. T B Fitch applied for Philip’s medals.

Just a thought: if you could contact one of Thomas Fitch’s descendents they may have a photograph somewhere. Philip’s sister Irene died a spinster in 1973 in Hampstead.

I entered Thomas Birch Fitch into Google and it came up with a couple of links to family trees that might help you make contact, try this one for starters.

https://wormgoor.wormgoor.com/person-1000391_70121711_70121711/thomas-birch-fitch

Hi Andy

Lieut P H B Fitch is remembered on the St George's Church Memorial, Edgbaston, Birmingham. He is also remembered in the Birmingham Roll of Honour.

Tony

Hi there,

New to the forum and am also interested in Lt Fitch. I have his MC and am interested in finding as much as I can about him so this is a very interesting thread! I would like to find his Victory Medal and War medal as well as Death Plaque. If anyone can help. let me know? I am also intested in finding a photo of him.View attachment 85457View attachment 85458

Hi I hope you don't mind but I used your picture of Lt Fitch's MC on his memorial page - we built for him, he is listed on the memorial at King Edward VI Grammar School in Nuneaton
https://www.nnwfhs.org.uk/catch-all...ww1-members-detailed-pages/1722-pvt-phb-fitch

Back