• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Pheasey Estate changes in roads from 1940's to present.

Petal

proper brummie kid
I live on the pheasey estate and came across the thread US Base Pheasey Estate as I am interested in the history of the area. I viewed the old map of the area form the 40's (Post by guest Nov 28th 2006 - map below) and noticed that some of the road have been changed. Compared with the modern day map, it appear that they knocked down the original Pomeroy road which ran as a continuation from Gainsborough Cresent, but then it was rebuilt so that it was attached to Raeburn Road.

Does anyone know when and why they did this, was it purely to make way for Pheasey Primary School? Does anyone know the history of this?

View attachment 65454View attachment 65455

Petal have had a think :(, as far as I can remember Pomeroy was always as of now, used to walk down Rayburn to my first school, in 49 ? and into the early 50s :)

I lived in Pomeroy Road from 1960 and I never knew that, our side of the Street was Built 1959/60 opposite were built in the thirties.
I later lived in Chantrey Crescent and whilst decorating was able to see the names of the yanks that were billeted to my property during the war written on a bedroom wall!

That early map is a bit of a mystery. The oldmaps site shows a map marked 1955-6 (though dates are not always very accurate) which seems to contradict it, in that only part of the roads are on it (not all named) and there is no sign of that layout, indeed, the school area seems to be already marked, but roads marked to the north not on it
Mike

map1955-6Pheaseyestatepart.jpg

Henry Boot Ltd bought the farm land pre Second World War. The intention was to create a modern, tranquil estate. The 1940's map is of the original concept and the estate was commenced along those lines. Following the war, needs had changed and more people were wanting to buy their own homes. The road layouts were altered to permit this and alterations to the scheme went on to a final amendment in 1960. It is well worth reading the history of the estate - very interesting! willey.

Back