• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Petrol pumps & filling stations of the past

I had two pumps on my forecourt a Gilbarco and an Avery Hardoll but they and the forecourt are things of the past now.
They only measured gallons but we kept them in use long after fuel went metric.
The latest owner of the site had all the tarmac ripped up and turned it into a nice garden with a privet hedge all round.

A more modern National sign in the photo Pete. And tuppence off petrol !!! Like the swinging arm pumps too. Viv.

My first car, when I was 19 years old and in the RAF, was a 1935 Austin 12 - I gave an old ever-ready battery operated radio for it. I sold it for £25 six months later.

Edited for inaccuracies.

Last edited:
I can answer my own question having had a wander through google Earth, there's still a garage on the site but it's much different to the cottage garage and petrol pumps I worked at, re-developed as a Kia dealership.

Not that one Lloyd I don't think, I would come down on my bike from Kingstanding and turn right at the P&C then a short way along the Chester Road.
I used to love watching the red squirrels bounding along the top of the Sutton Park fence opposite.

Not that one Lloyd I don't think, I would come down on my bike from Kingstanding and turn right at the P&C then a short way along the Chester Road.
I used to love watching the red squirrels bounding along the top of the Sutton Park fence opposite.
Just past the junction of Bakers Lane with Chester Road and before you reach The Parson & Clerk?

It was 1/11d a gallon when I first sold it at Hawthorn Garage on the Chester Road by the Parson & Clerk. £7.96 a gallon now.
Is that garage still there/
I remember a Hawthorn garage on the Chester road opposite Sutton park. I Remember going there in the early seventies, it was an Alfa Romeo agency. It is now called Sutton Park Renault.

Back