• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Petrol pumps & filling stations of the past

Trouble is it does not look much like a trading estate, certainly nothing like that estate as seen on streetview, and anyway they are in Kellys at that address from at least 1962. That address must have been the mainn office running a number of petrol stations. There was also a Terrys Auto services in Smethwick, but they were definitely on a corner.

I thought it strange. There is another garage almost opposite Dallaways but so modernised I have no idea if it could have been there.
When I found the Bordesley Green address the Smethwick one was no longer listed. Also the Smethwick one was Terry;s not Terry Brothers so I wasn't sure if it was the same.

Last edited:
The days when you could stop on the road, toot your horn, and a bloke in a white overall would come out and fill your tank while you sat in your car ... :)
467 Hagley Road Bearwood in the 1950s
index.php

Trouble is it does not look much like a trading estate, certainly nothing like that estate as seen on streetview, and anyway they are in Kellys at that address from at least 1962. That address must have been the mainn office running a number of petrol stations. There was also a Terrys Auto services in Smethwick, but they were definitely on a corner.
Do you think this could be the same gable end as in the "Terrys" garage?. It has the same S shaped wall supports and the phone wires are still in place although it no longer backs onto the B.G. industrial estate.

Attachments

• Garage.jpg
    Garage.jpg
    387.2 KB · Views: 21
Jonob is that 428 Green Lane?
Same shaped roof on building to the right as well. Looking good to me.
It was a garage on the c1979 map as well.
1630698142341.png
2008 streetview has the same machine outside the door.
1630698347419.png

Last edited:
Do you think this could be the same gable end as in the "Terrys" garage?. It has the same S shaped wall supports and the phone wires are still in place although it no longer backs onto the B.G. industrial estate.
Thanks - how did you find it?

I'm not sure. I can see that it could be

Here are some photos taken for a school project of 3 different garages for which I do not have a location (hint!!!! - they will be somewhere in Lozells / Hockley / Aston area). Interesting old petrol pumps on these - not sure on the dates (late 70's I think) but 4* and 5* fuel was a whopping £1.38 a gallon! Struggle to get a litre for that today.........
View attachment 161127
View attachment 161128
View attachment 161129
View attachment 161130
View attachment 161131
View attachment 161132
View attachment 161133

If you take a close look at the Dalloway photos on one of them you can just about see a display cabinet just outside the front door of the house. I think they were photos of the wedding car service. My Dad used to call there for petrol when it was 4/11d a gallon

This was an incredibly successful advertising campaign. So much so it became a well known and used phrase. I remember the tiger in your tank tail you could get. Mods attached them to the aerials of their scooters. Think there was other tut you could get too. We never had a car, my dad loved motor bikes. So we didn’t get any of the TIYT stuff. In fact I don’t ever remember him going to fill up at a petrol station. Suppose he must have done from time to time. Viv.

3E836BA0-3569-43E4-9980-2F50F900E9B4.jpeg

This was an incredibly successful advertising campaign. So much so it became a well known and used phrase. I remember the tiger in your tank tail you could get. Mods attached them to the aerials of their scooters. Think there was other tut you could get too. We never had a car, my dad loved motor bikes. So we didn’t get any of the TIYT stuff. In fact I don’t ever remember him going to fill up at a petrol station. Suppose he must have done from time to time. Viv.

View attachment 161208
In the US Shell had an alto counter this (which I will defer) but the Esso campaign was too strong!

Back