• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Peters Albert Thomas Selly Park

Selly Oak boy.

knowlegable brummie
I am trying to research my maternal family history, and am starting with my late Grandfather who died in the 1950's when I was but a lad.

I know little of his military record other than there was an ancient photo (long disappeared) of him as a young man resplendant in a red dress uniform with his white pith style helmet under his arm and long after his death, his strip of medal ribbons appeared.

If I recall correctly, the medal ribbons were the 3 WW1 campaign awards, one of which had a silver rose attached ( presumably the 1914 Star) and also the Special Constabulary Long Service Medal. Also, I vaguely remember mentions of Thorpe Street in the long distant past.

With these details in mind, and with our family being of long-standing Brummie stock, I hope that he may have been in the Royal Warwickshire Regiment, though I have no other information to support this theory.

I have tried searches at the National Archives, but having a fairly common surname doesn't narrow the field down much.

I have a shortlist of possibles, but don't know how to pin him down further without spending hours and hours and lots of cash ( which sadly is in short supply nowadays ).

I would therfore be extremely greatful for any helpful advice or assistance that may be forthcoming.

My Grandfather's details ( sadly very few ) are as follows :-

Albert Thomas Peters, of St. Stephens Road, Selly Park (or Selly Oak or Stirchley or Ten Acres as it's on the border of all ).

The three possibles that I suspect he might be one of are :=

1. Peters Albert T Private. No 1264 Royal Warks.

2. Peters Albert Private. No 9372 Royal Warks.

3. Peters Albert Private. No 34479 Royal Warks.

Thanking one and all in anticipation.

Chris.

The only Birmingham electoral roll I have been able to find him on, is the 1935 electoral roll. He is shown as Albert Peters.

Barrie

Many thanks for coming to my aid so quickly Barrie.

That's the chap I'm seeking, listed there along with my Grandmother and 2 of my uncles. Sadly now all long gone.

I know that the family lived there well before, as my Mother, born in 1919, grew up in the house.

Do you have any other suggestions ?

I had a look at 34 St Stephens Rd on the nearest electoral roll to 1919, which is the 1912, the voter there is a Frank Palfrey.

There is no listing for No 34 on the 1918 absent voters list (servicemen)

Here is the 1912 electoral roll.

Barrie.

Sorry about that. Closed the post before I'd finished. :redface:

Regarding the photo and the medal ribbons.

Have you any evidence that links the photo and the ribbons?

Did you have any other relatives that fought in WWI? Could the ribbons be theirs. You see where I'm going here, the fact that the man in the photo is wearing a red jacket and holding a white helmet makes him sound victorian.

I think you it would help you if you treat the photo and the ribbons as being unconnected for the time being. If you could post the names of your Gt Uncles (if any) on here, we could look for them instead.

Barrie.

Thanks yet again, Barrie. I recall my Grandfather wearing his medals to Remembrance Parades and also a photograph of him as a Bobby circa 1940 ish. So presumably, they are genuine.

He was born in the 1880s, so the photo of him in red dress uniform fits in with the Victorian era, just about. My Uncles were too young for WW1 and sadly are no longer around to verify. It is unlikely that it is anyone else pictured.

All help gratefully accepted. Once more, many thanks.

Thanks yet again, Barrie. I recall my Grandfather wearing his medals to Remembrance Parades and also a photograph of him as a Bobby circa 1940 ish. So presumably, they are genuine.

He was born in the 1880s, so the photo of him in red dress uniform fits in with the Victorian era, just about. My Uncles were too young for WW1 and sadly are no longer around to verify. It is unlikely that it is anyone else pictured.

All help gratefully accepted. Once more, many thanks.

Had a look through the births for 1880-1890. There were only two births registered inside these dates for an Albert Peters. One in 1888 and one in 1890.

The one in 1890 looks interesting, because there are attestation papers for an Albert Peters who joined on an 8 year engagement in 1908 aged 19.

I have attached the copy in case you have'nt yet viewed it. The Albert Peters on the paper was already a member of the Warks Militia.

It states that his civilian trade was Brass Filer. Do you know what trade your grandad followed?

Barrie

Have you tried looking on Ancestry.com? - I'm doing rescearch on my family from Walsall and I've found them on the Military records site. You have to be patient but its worth a go.

Thanks yet again Barrie.
The Albert Peters you've found is on my shortlist and it would be grand if he was my relative. However I now think that it is not him.

Last night I yet again scoured the attic for any more information, and found, tucked away in an old shoe box, a copy of my Grandfather's Death Certificate ( I've been through this stuff loads of times before and not spotted it - must be a "senior moment")

This certificate may complicate matters even further, as his name is given as Albert Peters otherwise Seazell, Died 1960 aged 77 . No date or place of birth is given, registered in Birmingham.

I am one of the oldest surviving member of the Peters family and this other name is news to me.

Barrie, you have been marvellous, but I don't want it to look as if I want you to follow this up. What I would appreciate is just tips and guidance on how I can follow this trail myself, without spending too much on it.

Last edited:
This is interesting mate. His death appears twice on the death registers in Birmingham on the Apr-May-Jun Qtr of 1960. Once as Albert Peters and once as Albert Seazell. In each case the reference is 9c 451.

Will be in touch later.

Barrie.

Selly Oak Boy.

A few years ago. Pre Internet anyway, while trying to research my grandfather, I found a book in the central library local history dep't entitled something
like 'The Great War, Those Who Served - Those Who Fell' which listed soldiers from Birmingham. In it there was a short summary of service, and an address.

Also there were similar lists by regiment in the history section on a different floor.

As you already have an address, this might be as easy way to find out which of the three is the right one, and find the regiment etc.

There are a lot of members on here who know more about researching this than me, but I hope this helps.

Selly Oak boy, Contact the Veterans Agency UK, freephone 0800 169 22 77, give them as much detail as you have of your Grandfather, army service number, regiment etc they are very helpful and will explain every thing they can to help your search. Len.

Last edited:
Selly Oak Boy, have you checked the rims of the medals you possess, they give the name, number and regiment which should help in identifying which Peters is your ancestor.

Selly Oak Boy, have you checked the rims of the medals you possess, they give the name, number and regiment which should help in identifying which Peters is your ancestor.

Thanks for the suggestion, but as Barrie points out, I only had the medal ribbons to go on.

My next port of call will be Birmingham Register Office.

Once again, thanks to all that offered advice or assisted in getting my quest up and running.

I am trying to research my maternal family history, and am starting with my late Grandfather who died in the 1950's when I was but a lad.

I know little of his military record other than there was an ancient photo (long disappeared) of him as a young man resplendant in a red dress uniform with his white pith style helmet under his arm and long after his death, his strip of medal ribbons appeared.

If I recall correctly, the medal ribbons were the 3 WW1 campaign awards, one of which had a silver rose attached ( presumably the 1914 Star) and also the Special Constabulary Long Service Medal. Also, I vaguely remember mentions of Thorpe Street in the long distant past.

With these details in mind, and with our family being of long-standing Brummie stock, I hope that he may have been in the Royal Warwickshire Regiment, though I have no other information to support this theory.

I have tried searches at the National Archives, but having a fairly common surname doesn't narrow the field down much.

I have a shortlist of possibles, but don't know how to pin him down further without spending hours and hours and lots of cash ( which sadly is in short supply nowadays ).

I would therfore be extremely greatful for any helpful advice or assistance that may be forthcoming.

My Grandfather's details ( sadly very few ) are as follows :-

Albert Thomas Peters, of St. Stephens Road, Selly Park (or Selly Oak or Stirchley or Ten Acres as it's on the border of all ).

The three possibles that I suspect he might be one of are :=

1. Peters Albert T Private. No 1264 Royal Warks.

2. Peters Albert Private. No 9372 Royal Warks.

3. Peters Albert Private. No 34479 Royal Warks.

Thanking one and all in anticipation.

Chris.

Hi Chris,

Albert Peters was my great-grandfather Herbert's older brother!

I've been looking into the Seazell family myself recently as it's a strange name, possibly of German or Hungarian origin, and I want to trace it back as far as I can - so any information you have would be appreciated!

Thank you

Emma

Hi Chris, I spent some time looking for my great uncle who it turned out was a career soldier. I visited the National Archives, not realising that career soldiers sometimes retire 'to pension'. As Albert didn't join up in WW1 his records may be slightly different. I had taken a wrong turn in assuming that as he was a publican he couldn't be an army pensioner so didn't look at those possibilities. My relative was in India in the early 1900's, retired, and then rejoined in WW1 as a storeman.

Your man probably didn't want to keep his German sounding name with all the anti-German feeling around at that time. I've tried to trace several 'aliases' and unfortunately some of them don't want to be found but don't give up, every little snippet adds to the picture.
I also noticed that you didn't feel one of the Alberts was 'yours'. Don't disregard him though, I ignored a soldier from the Royal Worcesters for years as I was looking for an Irishman who had come to Birmingham. He turned out to be my husband's great grandfather who had joined up in Ireland. Put all your info on the back burner and keep checking it!
Good Luck with your search and let us know when you find him.

Back