• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Peter Walker Memorial Day

ColinB

gone but not forgotten
Two years ago today the Forum lost one of our most respected member Peter Walker, those who knew him will remember him as a smashing man who's knowledge of Birmingham, it's history and people was endless.
Peter was an ex-Brummie who moved to Croyden to live but still managed to visit Birmingham and attend many of our meets.
His posts on the forum remain as his legacy to be enjoyed by all.
On this picture of a early visit to The Jewellers Arms, Peter is 4th from the left on the back row, some may also recognise Mike G who also sadly has passed away since this photo was taken in October 2009
R.I.P. Peter

Colin

Attachments

• jewellers.jpg
    jewellers.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 58
R.I.P. Peter, two years ago a light went out in my life.
Thanks for the memories.

Peter is always in my thoughts as I have so many memories of him. Nothing was too much for Peter and although he moved to Croydon in the late 1950's, as an architect himself, even then Peter was at odds with the way Birmingham as a growing city was developing. Peter never lost his love for Birmingham and gave of himself in so many ways to BHF and as Lyn says BHF has a great legacy of well researched Birmingham History from Peter. Apart from wonderful memories I have about ten old maps he gave to me of Brum. You can read on the Forum about my visit to Croydon in 2009 with Barbara and Peter. Sadly, Barbara passed away in February of the next year. I miss them very much. Great to see the photo of the BHF group in front of the Jeweller's Arms. I am in the front row wearing red. Thanks for posting this photo Lyn. I miss Mike very much also.

Last edited:
i still miss seeing peter at our meet ups...nothing was too much trouble for him..peter passed away just 2 months after my steve and although he was poorly he still found the time to send me a condolence card with a lovely letter to go with it....something i will always treasure...

god bless you peter..

lyn x

hi jenny what a lovely tribute you have made to peter but just to correct you on the photo that colin posted i didnt take it as i could not attend that meet up as our mom was so very ill and we lost her the next month...so much heartbreak but lets remember all the good times....

lyn..x

Sorry Lyn..not quite awake yet this am. I remember that lovely day so well. Thanks Colin for taking the photo.

I can't believe it's been two years since we lost Peter he was such a gentleman and as mentioned he was so knowledgeable on anything to do with Birmingham History.

Here is a photo of happier times inside the Jewellers Arms.

Jim2C_Peter2C_Wendy_~0.jpg

What a gentleman Peter Walker was, I do miss him with his carrier bag he always carried. Forum meets have something missing without Peter and that other lovely man Mike Guest. Rest In Peace both.

He was a great loss to the forum, his family and the Croydon Community he also served - always interesting, interested and helpful

a photo off me...very first pub meet up with just the 6 of us feb 2009...going round the table from left to right....frothy..peter walker..robert the late as was.. hes just robert now as hes started being on time...david fowler.myself and last but not least mike-g

bull02_.jpg

a photo off me...very first pub meet up with just the 6 of us feb 2009...going round the table from left to right....frothy..peter walker..robert the late as was.. Hes just robert now as hes started being on time...david fowler.myself and last but not least mike-g

bull02_.jpg

great day!

its was froth and if peter and mike are looking down im quite sure that they would be happy and proud that the BHF BANDWAGON rolls on bringing more and more brummies together...

lyn

Rest in peace Peter. I always take pleasure from reading through Peters archives. Always came across as a kind compassionate caring gentleman. Greatly missed.

a photo off me...very first pub meet up with just the 6 of us feb 2009...going round the table from left to right....frothy..peter walker..robert the late as was.. hes just robert now as hes started being on time...david fowler.myself and last but not least mike-g

bull02_.jpg

Peter was such a lovely man. I think I'm right in saying at that meet he brought several maps which he had laminated and gave them to anyone who wanted them.

Unfortunately I never met Peter but was and still am, delighted reading the posts he made about Birmingham's history.

Bernie

I often used to say 'Peter will know' when we reached a brick wall in a post on this Forum. I was lucky to meet Peter and Barbara, they were delightful.
God Bless you both.

Back