• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Peter Gibson

Eric Gibson

master brummie
I'm stuck on my ancestor Peter Gibson born 1791, I have a lot after him and his two marriages but can't find anything earlier i.e. where he was born or his parents.
I've just taken up the Ancestry four months for twenty quid offer to try more options, any advice?

Eric,

I presume you are referring to the Peter who married a Harriet from Staffordshire and who was living in Birmingham on the 1841 & 1851 censuses and states that he was born in Warwickshire? If so, nothing in the Midlands on FindMyPast either. Nearest being Dartford, Kent, with a couple of others in the north east.

Maurice :cool:

Yes Maurice that's the one, can't see a connection with the north east or Kent............yet.
I'd be guessing the north east is more likely but.............

Eric,

I've just scanned the British Library for that name between 1791 and 1841, and the only five English entries are for winners of fruit and vegeatble competitions in Birmingham in 1836 & 1837. Unfortunately, they just give Peter Gibson as a winner in particular classes and no other details.

However, it's also interesting to note that over 150 entries out of a total of around 280 were actually in Ireland. So that is another possibility. Having said that, the names of his children (Maria, Peter, Thomas, Henry, Richard & Arthur) don't include any any of the usual irish names such as Patrick or Mary.

Looking for possible Gibson siblings born between 1786 & 1796 in the Birmingham area, there's only 7 possibles, most born in Birmingham or Aston, one in Notinghamshire and two in Scotland. There's a Richard in Aston amongst them born in Warwickshire at what looks to be Stamber Mile, but there is no such place in the UK, let alone Warwickshire. See what you make of it:-

Stamber Mile.jpg

There's a Stambermill Viaduct about one mile east of Stourbridge, but that is not Warwickshire. I am really clutching at straws here :)

Eric,

How about this christening at Aston Cantilow on 25 September 1788:-
Gibson.jpg

Sept 25th Peter son of Peter & Rachel Gibson, Little Alne

And that was the second daughter of that name, the earlier one being Hannah chr 28 Feb 1786, bur 8 March 1786.
Peter Gibson married Rachel King 23 March 1782 and other children were Hannah chr 10 April 1787, Thomas chr 14 Jan 1791, Ann chr 12 January 1796 all at Aston Cantilow.

It's a shame the 1841 census has so few details. Hannah could be Peter's sister or a widowed sister in law.

There is a death registered for a Hannah Gibson of the right age, Mar qtr 1847 Bham.

If this is her and she is listed as single, registered by Peter and his relationship to the deceased is given, then it would give a little more confidence that it is the Peter of Aston Cantlow.

Eric,

I've just scanned the British Library for that name between 1791 and 1841, and the only five English entries are for winners of fruit and vegeatble competitions in Birmingham in 1836 & 1837. Unfortunately, they just give Peter Gibson as a winner in particular classes and no other details.

However, it's also interesting to note that over 150 entries out of a total of around 280 were actually in Ireland. So that is another possibility. Having said that, the names of his children (Maria, Peter, Thomas, Henry, Richard & Arthur) don't include any any of the usual irish names such as Patrick or Mary.

Looking for possible Gibson siblings born between 1786 & 1796 in the Birmingham area, there's only 7 possibles, most born in Birmingham or Aston, one in Notinghamshire and two in Scotland. There's a Richard in Aston amongst them born in Warwickshire at what looks to be Stamber Mile, but there is no such place in the UK, let alone Warwickshire. See what you make of it:-

View attachment 157631

That might be Stamber Mill, rather than Stamber Mile (although Stambermill is in Worcestershire, not Warwickshire).
Stambermill is the earliest attested place in the parish of Oldswinford with a record in Court Rolls from 1271. Nowadays it is known for where the mighty ten-arch Stambermill viaduct (constructed 1850) crosses the River Stour in what is now Stourbridge. Stambermill was originally a district in the parish of Oldswinford, Worcestershire and a distinct village on the banks of the River Stour, lying between Lye and Stourbridge. It has now been swallowed up by the conurbation. It became a separate ecclesiastical parish (St. Marks) in 1873. St Marks was declared redundant in 1985.
It seems logical that it takes its name from a "Stamber Mill". As Stourbridge was a cloth-making town in medieval times, it was most likely a fulling mill (for pounding wool), although post 1600 that stretch of the Stour became lined with mills making spades, shovels, scythes and other edge tools.

The building of the viaduct covered up the site of one of Stourbridge's earliest glassworks - The Ridgrave Glasshouse built some time between 1612 and 1630.

Back