• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Peter Gibson B 1791

Eric Gibson

master brummie
This is where I'm stuck, I got back as far as Peter Gibson born 1791, in the 1841 census living in Ryland Street with his wife Harriet and family.
Some time ago I found Harriet Hurlstone born in Staffordshire and have her as his wife but I can't remember how I got there and I may have been wrong, there's quite a large age difference.
Now I can't find a marriage for this Peter Gibson anywhere on findmypast nor a Harriet Hurlstone in the locality, plenty of them elsewhere.
Help!

Eric, there is a marriage in Harborne which at the time was in Staffs.
Peter Gibson to Harriet Hasliston 18th aug 1825.
On the 1862 Harriet Gibson is a widow and says born Eccleshall Staffs circa 1805.
I have found birth of a Harriet Hurliston 10th April 1803 Eccleshall parents William and Elizabeth.
Someone has also submitted the birth as Hurleston.
Given the errors in transcribing it is anybodies guess which is correct.
Checking the 1851 census I have found Hurlestone and Harleston surname entries for people born Eccleshall.

Eric, there is a marriage in Harborne which at the time was in Staffs.
Peter Gibson to Harriet Hasliston 18th aug 1825.
On the 1862 Harriet Gibson is a widow and says born Eccleshall Staffs circa 1805.
I have found birth of a Harriet Hurliston 10th April 1803 Eccleshall parents William and Elizabeth.
Someone has also submitted the birth as Hurleston.
Given the errors in transcribing it is anybodies guess which is correct.
Checking the 1851 census I have found Hurlestone and Harleston surname entries for people born Eccleshall.

Thanks for that Alberta, I've spent an hour or two sorting through scraps of scribblings in my filing cabinet this morning, and found the Harbourne marriage.
I remember now all the hassle trying to find Hasliston and ending up with Hurlstone but by what route I've forgotten.

Still struggling with this, as it's prior to 1837 I need to get to the Harborne parish registers to try to find if the Hasliston/Hurlstone problem is a transcription error but any attempt to do so just pops up an Ancestry pay page.
I have a world subscription to Findmypast so don't really want to do Ancestry as well especially as it might not bear fruit, is there another way?

There are 2 entries - one for the banns and one for the marriage. Name looks like Harliston but have attached files for you.

Attachments

• Gibson Banns.JPG
    Gibson Banns.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Gibson Marriage.JPG
    Gibson Marriage.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 12
Good afternoon Janice,

Ancestry seem to have transcribed it as Houliston - and that seems to be a Scottish name. I zoomed in and did a screen capture. Maybe they know better from other entries in the same register?

Maurice

Attachments

• Peter_Gibson.jpg
    Peter_Gibson.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 7
Thanks very much for that Janice, Maurice, looking at the handwriting I can see why the transcriber was in difficulty.

I found the birth Alberta found for Harriett Hurliston (or Hurleston) with a baptism 10 April 1803 at Eccleshall in Staffordshire. No image though just a transcript. Father william and Mother Elizabeth.

On the banns and marriage notices Janice posted it says Peter was a widower and that the marriage was with the consent of parents so I guess Harriet must have been under 21.
Next step is to find his first wife and her death.
That Eccleshall place name kept popping up in my searches Janice but the various Hurli watsit names have had me stymied for a while

There is a burial in 1823 of a Mary Gibson wife of Peter but no idea if this is the right one or not. Burial at St Philips.

Attachments

• Gibson burial.JPG
    Gibson burial.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 6
Also found a possible marriage of a Peter Gibson 16 November 1815 to a Mary Mann at Harbury Warwickshire. I am not sure where he came from as the census just says Warwickshire.

Attachments

• Gibson first marriage.JPG
    Gibson first marriage.JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 6
Thanks Janice, one more to add to the list, I have him born in Birmingham so Warwickshire is usually how it's listed. Although some parts come into any of another three counties.

Back