• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pet Fostering

mbenne

master brummie
We lost our cat, Biskit, recently. Had him for 15 years and it has left a large hole in our lives, and our daily routine - satisfying his bottomless appetite, hot water bottles on winter nights - even though he slept in the house, opening and closing doors to let him in and out on request- quite often too.

In his later years we avoided the trauma of taking him to the cattery and found a live-in carer lol. Sadly, he died while we were on holiday and was taken to our local vet, who kindly stored him until our return. Quite strange when I look back on it, while we were away I felt unwell one day, a feeling I couldn't explain, and spent the day in bed. I later discovered this was the day he died. He was a part of the family since the kids were at school so it seems like the end of an era.

He now rests peacefully in the shade of his favourite camelia bush.

1597822147568.png

Our son has two identical tabby cats and whenever I get the chance I pop over to give them a fuss. Though we aren't ready to take on another cat at the moment we are tempted to foster in the future, having come across the link below om MSE.

Heartbreaking times when you loose a pet, we've lost three Staffies over the years and many tears were shed for some time after. Because of our age, mine mainly, we’re also looking at fostering from our local rescue charity but because of the lock down It seems there is a shortage of dogs requiring fostering. Once things return to something like normal, with people returning to work and Children back to School, the rescue centre believes that there will be many more pets requiring adopting or fostering.

I volunteered for a labrador rescue for many years and fostered for them and found it rewarding the first couple of fosters I didn't want to let go but after that I was ok there are so many animals that need a home and fostering is a way of giving them a chance to get use to a home life I can recommend fostering good luck

Awww So sorry for your loss. He looks like he was very happy and content and sounds like he was so well taken care of. I'm a cat lover myself. Times are tough atm but I do recommend The Kitty cafe in grand central for a feline fix. Fostering animals must be so rewarding, and such a lovely thing to do. Good luck Mbeene and niccc

Fostering pets is a wondeful idea, but I know for sure I wouldn't be able to part with them, I'd have a houseful ! We had our staffie from the RSPCA 4 years ago and she'd lived outside and wasn't house trained although she was 4. It was quite a task but it did click with her all of a sudden and we've never had any problem with her since. If we'd have been fostering her I think I would have worried about the new home she would have gone to. Animals ask us for so little really, however we can help is very worthwhile.
Lynn.

Fostering pets is a wondeful idea, but I know for sure I wouldn't be able to part with them, I'd have a houseful ! We had our staffie from the RSPCA 4 years ago and she'd lived outside and wasn't house trained although she was 4. It was quite a task but it did click with her all of a sudden and we've never had any problem with her since. If we'd have been fostering her I think I would have worried about the new home she would have gone to. Animals ask us for so little really, however we can help is very worthwhile.
Lynn.
i got harry from a sanctuary. some scum bag had abused him. and nearly killed him. i took him home
from there after they checked me out. 4 years ago.

Attachments

• harry bach.jpeg
    harry bach.jpeg
    37.5 KB · Views: 13
Choosing a rescue dog is a great idea but you have to factor in lot of things, cost shouldn't enter into it.
There is no guarantee that it's going to be a trouble free animal, a lot of the dogs are in the sanctuary for a reason lots of times not entirely their own fault.
Seven years ago we found our forever dog and a lot of members have met him up at the various meetings of the Forum, he is a gentle loving kinda guy and he settled in very well,,
a few nights of us having him, we discovered that he was prone to terrible seizures and thats when we discovered that he had been homed previous to us getting him and he was taken back to the rescue centre with the excuse that he couldn't get on with other dogs.
A trip to the Vets and he couldn't find anything wrong but he said it was most likely that he surfers from epilepsy, and not much he could do.
I was shattered , not for me but for Ted but with time and the many fits he had we discovered that when he was having a fit
we could bring him out of it but just cuddling him and reassuring him.
We are 100% happy with our brave little fellow and we are pretty sure he is happy with us...T3EDDY THE LAKE DOG (2).jpg

i have met ted a few times and he is gorgeous....what a lovely photo of him jim...you and hilary keep up the good work he is a very lucky dog ...no doubt that works both ways :)

lyn

Choosing a rescue dog is a great idea but you have to factor in lot of things, cost shouldn't enter into it.
There is no guarantee that it's going to be a trouble free animal, a lot of the dogs are in the sanctuary for a reason lots of times not entirely their own fault.
Seven years ago we found our forever dog and a lot of members have met him up at the various meetings of the Forum, he is a gentle loving kinda guy and he settled in very well,,
a few nights of us having him, we discovered that he was prone to terrible seizures and thats when we discovered that he had been homed previous to us getting him and he was taken back to the rescue centre with the excuse that he couldn't get on with other dogs.
A trip to the Vets and he couldn't find anything wrong but he said it was most likely that he surfers from epilepsy, and not much he could do.
I was shattered , not for me but for Ted but with time and the many fits he had we discovered that when he was having a fit
we could bring him out of it but just cuddling him and reassuring him.
We are 100% happy with our brave little fellow and we are pretty sure he is happy with us...View attachment 147604
i had a runt that some bloke was going to drown.i took it of him before i dropped him. she lived 18 years. she was clever, on comand she did the clint eastwood lip smile.lol
my sis payed a lot of wonga for a dacsi. he had terrible seizures but grew out of them. he was 20 when he died

donkies get sad and depresed Donkeys commonly "pair bond" and this can lead to problems if trying to separate them from their companion, which may not necessarily be another donkey. Do not separate bonded pairs as it can lead to stress
Companionship. Donkeys are definitely not well-suited to living alone. A donkey without any buddies will quickly get sad, depressed, and lonely. They form incredibly strong bonds with their pals, so we strongly recommend keeping bonded pairs together for life.
1663676278589.png1663676406103.png

1665304461963.png1665304432286.png:grinning:
Rosie, a British Bulldog who was abandoned alongside the A55 in May. As well as having deformed teats that dragged and prevented her from walking properly, injuries to her paws and an infected tail stump, she was later discovered to be pregnant.
Rosie's pups were cared for and eventually rehomed and, after she underwent several operations, so was Rosie.

Back