• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Pershore Road and Cadburys

Bayliss

I am a new forum member and wonder if anyone might be able to help me with locating 20 Pershore Road in 1908? I only have the address, not the district. I understand that the street numbers were changed after that date.
Also, I am trying to find a directory of Cadbury workers in 1908 but am not sure how to go about that.
I would be very grateful for any help you could offer. Thanks!

Welcome to the forum.
I am sure that Mikegee if he sees this will tell me if I am right or not but as far as I can tell in 1908 Pershore Road began at the end of Sherlock Street. It is listed in the 1908 Kelly's directory between the start and Belgrave Road which is now Belgrave Middleway.
names are:
1621686763204.png
The problem is that maps of that date do not include house numbers.
1950s published map - yellow line is Belgrave Road. Which seems to have the numbering which agrees with the 1908 directory. In fact I don't think numbering has changed just the houses have gone. The last property on the corner of Balsall Heath Road (the next section up is the Earl Grey PH and it is 76 in the directory and 76 today.

1621687397289.png

As for your second query I am not sure such a directory would have existed outside of the Cadbury factory but if it did I have no idea where you would find one.

Also there was probably more than one Pershore Road. Searching for 20 Pershore Road on the 1911 census gives 2 results, one in Northfield (Thomas Brown) and one listed in Edgbaston (Joseph Henry Wake).

I cannot help with the directory question, and , as Jan ex-employee would say , as Janice said , that you are unlikely to find one,. As to the address, I can confirm that 20 Pershore road today. and in 1950s is at the same position. Although I do not believe that this could refer to any other address, I would point out to others looking for early Pershore Road addresses that there were up, at times till the 1910s, also a Pershore Road, Stirchley, and Pershore road, Cotteridge. I can find no evidence, however , that this number was used in eithe rof these roads in 1908

MWS.
We coincided. .You are quite correct , as my clashing post said . However,the post for Thomas Brown lists him as 20 Pershore Road, Tenacres, Stirchley, and nearby entries similarly and in some earlier directories it was listed as Tenacres, but inm some places enumerator has added Pershore road in pencil. The 1908 Kelklys lists that part of what was later Pershore Road as "Upper Pershore Road", so I believe it reasonable to assume that in 1908 it was called Upper Pershore road, Tenacres, or Tenacres St, although by 1911 it was Pershore Road

Back