• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Water : Perry sinkings

Kays123

This Library of Birmingham image shows a lake in Perry Barr and a windmill. Looks about 1930s/40s to me. Although there must have been several windmills in the area, this is the first photograph I've seen recording one. Any ideas where exactly this would have been taken ? Would it have been Perry Park ? Viv.

View attachment 121841
I have been looking for a place called Perry Sinkings, supposedly off Rocky lane near Perry Hall Park. An old probate document states that my ancestors lived at Windmill cottage, Perry Sinkings, so I presume there was a windmill near by. They lived there till the 1950's. I have been told it may have been where Concrete developments is now. Any further help would be appreciated.

I remember Perry sinkings when looking at the Birmingham water supply. Probably a well, will look further.

There is mention of a yield of half a million gallons of water a day in 1900.

There is also a mention of Perry New Sinkings way back in 1876, and this was in connection with coal.

Must have been linked to Hamstead Colliery.

Here’s a 1904 map showing the waterworks and a water shaft. Viv.

Attachments

• 6F5C940E-E31F-4CA2-A1AB-2707F09B43F6.jpeg
    6F5C940E-E31F-4CA2-A1AB-2707F09B43F6.jpeg
    800.6 KB · Views: 20
I think I remember that there was a sinking for a colliery in Perry, maybe by Lord Calthorpe, although i believe the colliery was not a succes.

The 3rd annual meeting of the Hamstead Col Co. in 1878, says that the directors of the Perry
proposed co-op in testing the existence of coal by means of boring.

In 1879 it was proposed that the company be wound up voluntarily.

Reference the map in #5 an aerial view of Perry Hall Park dated 1937. The Walsall Road visible bottom right corner. The pumping station site circled but buildings probably demolished by the date of this view.
PerryHallPark1937.jpg
image from the 'britainfromabove' website.

Last edited:
Back