• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Perry Park

roger a

master brummie
hi all has anyone been round perry park lately the place is a dump.The lake smells and is overun with rats and clogged up with weed.What impression is team USA and team Jamacia going to get when they stay and train in Birmingham at the Alexander Stadium.Its about time Birmingham City Council sorted this problem out before they arrive.View attachment 35850

There is a picture of that lake in the 1940's. I recently looked at it on GoogleEarth and couldn't see until I worked out it's position. It didn't look like a lake.
I was in a rowing boat on Perry Barr Park lake as shown in a family photo I posted some years ago. The photo was taken by my mother standing by the army huts.
index.php

click pic to expand it, click again to close it.
Link repaired on 25 Jan 2021

Last edited:
Hi Roger: When you send your e-mail to Birmingham Council re Perry Park
I know you will mention the effect of visitors to the Park especially the training athletes and their impressions if the Park is left in the condition it is in now. Good luck and thanks for caring.

This postcard is listed on eBay as Perry Park, 1906. I'm not 100% convinced but on the other hand ....... Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 39
Hi Viv, It can't be Perry Park or even Perry Hall Park, no trams ran anywhere near those parks. Phil.

ps. Just noticed tall smoking chimneys, maybe some other city has a Perry Park.

Last edited:
Looking at the maps for the early 1900's there were a lot of Mills in the area around that time, they could possibly account for the chimneys. I have this photo and I've often thought the same as you Vivienne. The only thing I can think of it is located somewhere near the canal cutting or possibly a railway cutting but that even further away.

Just trawled eBay again and there's another PC advertised.the other one claims to be Halesowen. Never come across Perry Park in Halesowen. Don't know if there is one in Halesowen, off to check. Here is the full as for Perry Barr. It refers to 'Blackheath' on the reverse. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
And the Halesowen ad with Perry Park Blackheath. So maybe there's a Perry Park in Blackheath then. V.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
There is a Perry park house (possibly within a park, with tramlines running round to the south (in Perry park Road) at rowley Regis. Map c 1918 below

map_c_1918_showing_perry_park_house2CRowley_Regis_with_tramlines.jpg

That'll be it then Mike. The person advertising the Perry Park, Perry Barr PC must have just looked up Perry Park and assumed it was in Perry Barr. Viv.

Thanks both. Useful to know there's another Perry Park, and in the West Midlands. Not heard of it before. Viv.

Last edited:
Welcome Whizzo. Not all our members have FB etc accounts, so could you tell us something more about saving the park please ? Thanks.

We want to keep the park for the community and provide local facilities. Enhance it working with Open Spaces and other parties. Oct 18th 7pm Church Tavern on Church Road next meeting. Please come if interested.

IN the 70s i worked for the parks dept,before the council took over.i was a tractor driver. ( were i got my love of trac from)
i mowed the grass in perry park as well as p/hall park. one of the jobs was getting perry park ready for the show. delivering fences etc. do they still have a show there?.... great times.

lovely photo viv..mom and dad was taking me to perry park then so who knows our paths may have crossed all those years ago

lyn

Quite possibly Lyn. My mum and yours would certainly have chatted if we did, Mum was an incredibly social person. Loved to have a natter ! Unlike me who was excruciatingly shy for a long time. Would hide behind Mum if anyone spoke to me. Viv.

did you visit handsworth park viv..both parks a long walk for us from villa st but mom and dad made sure we went as often as possible

lyn

No don’t be think so, although my mum was always walking us somewhere. Shed happily walk from Kingstanding to Erdington, no short journey.

I think we probably went to Perry Park because my Nan lived in Blakeland Road near the Boars Head. Think Mum probably went to the park to restore her composure after visiting my Nan ! Viv.

IN the 70s i worked for the parks dept,before the council took over.i was a tractor driver. ( were i got my love of trac from)
i mowed the grass in perry park as well as p/hall park. one of the jobs was getting perry park ready for the show. delivering fences etc. do they still have a show there?.... great times.
My Brother in Law worked for the parks dept at Brookvale park in the seventies and ended up as a supervisor looking after all the displays on the roundabouts etc. Rented one of the two cottages in Pype Hayes park before buying it then moved to Perth Scotland.

Birmingham Library have this photo labelled Perry Hall Park dated 1931 but it is actually Perry Park. Note St John's Church on the skyline.
PerryPark1931.jpg
On the map below the lady could have been standing by the red dot or by the green dot. The small lake in the photo was filled in by the 1940s and tennis courts built there.
Image2.jpg

My Brother in Law worked for the parks dept at Brookvale park in the seventies and ended up as a supervisor looking after all the displays on the roundabouts etc. Rented one of the two cottages in Pype Hayes park before buying it then moved to Perth Scotland.
i had friend who had one of them.cottages.. (Bob) i was based at leslie rd p/barr

Yes OM, Perry Park is often confused with Perry Hall Park. They’re very close together and must have at one time all been part of the Gough (Perry Hall) estate. I think Perry Park was also in the past referred to as Perry Barr Park. Viv.

Back