• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Perry Hall the house

and of course regina lodge also showing on the map is still there the new owner is a member of the forum but has not been on for a while to update us...link below

Hi I'm so pleased to have found this very informative thread about Perry Hall, and the fabulous photographs. Today I found that a relative was living at Colliery Cottage close to Perry Hall on the 1881 census. The census shows Perry Hall, and on the next page two dwellings called "The Laundry" and then two dwellings called "Colliery Cottage". Living at both dwellings called The Laundry is a gardener and laundress, and at both Colliery Cottage's a woodsman. I wonder if anyone would know if these cottages were part of the Perry Hall estate? Many thanks

PS Since making this post I've found that my relative is a Woodsman at the Perry Hall Estate on the 1911 census - living at Perry Village.
Seeing your post on BHF i also belive i have a relative living at Colliery Cottage by the side of The Church Tavern the 1881 census Stephen Talbott. My mother was a Talbott and she was born 1905 in Franchise Street Perry Barr.

In the 1950's I recall that the moat at Perry Hall had a form of boat that could be hired. By then the hall had been demolished,

Does anybody remember this ?

Attachments

• Perry Hall.jpg
    Perry Hall.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 12
In the 1950's I recall that the moat at Perry Hall had a form of boat that could be hired. By then the hall had been demolished,

Does anybody remember this ?
Yes. I also went on the paddle boats around the moat in the late 50’s after we moved to Perry Barr from the inner city (Hockley). Didn’t even know that Perry Hall park existed before then let alone the Hall. There is a photo on an earlier post that shows children on the paddle boats around the moat.

Some photos from the 'Then and Now' thread
The Avenue, Perry Hall with the Gate Lodge.
index.php

Clivedon Avenue these days viewed from the Walsall Road.
index.php

Another picture below of the lodge from different angle. The avenue behind the large gate leads off to the left and the Walsall Road is on the right. The well dressed lad out front appears to have a watch chain. The wires on those ten bar telegraph poles were probably connected to those passing the 'Great Barr Cottage' (famous on the BHF) two miles to the north.
index.php

and modern view
index.php

It doesn’t say what the occasion was for this gathering of Midlands farmers. Lord Calthorpe must have hosted this gathering for a particular reason so probably something to do with farming of the day. I thought the use of the word ‘Midlands’ might just have been Warwickshire and Staffordshire, from farms that are actually quite close by. Viv

7359D492-F7E1-4D4F-B04E-D839F77F439E.jpeg

Source: British Newspaper Archive

another building i could weep at the loss of...what a crowd puller it would make now..so much for forward thinking

lyn

Last edited:
Back