• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Perry Hall Park

again great photos two....now living a stones throw from where the hall was what a delight it would have been for me to have this great building on my doorstep and now it has gone for ever and the great tragedy is it was not in disrepair...falling down or derelict...:(
Replaced by the parkeepers hut and the Cafe when I lived in Dewsbury Grove, not really a suitable replacement in my opinion.

My house was in Lavendon Road, we backed onto the Park. I went to Dorrington, between 1970-77. I spent many happy hours on the paddle boats before they finished how lovely your mum ran the cafe.

The times I played football in the Festival Lge in my youth on the pitches Snow Ice rain.But all good fun.

There has been discussion on this thread of Dorrington Road school - this discussion has been moved to a new thread here:

Viv.

Last edited:
Hi Gaz. We sometimes used to walk up Derrydown on the way to Dorrington rd Schools, infants and junior, and used to take the short cut through the right of way at the top of Derrydown. The head teachers at both Schools were Miss Kirkham and Mr Aspinall, probably changed by the time you went there. The Saywells owned a cycle shop somewhere in Aston so perhaps you new them from when you were there. The son, Renee I think, had a Claud Butler bike which we all lusted after and used to work for Tucker Eyelets back in the mid sixties. Sorry didn't know the Birkins, or at least unable to remember if I did.
This is a very old post now I'm replying to. My Nan lived next door to the Saywells In Derrydown Road overlooking Perry Hall Park and they did have a cycle shop. Their son was called Brian. Mrs Saywell was very ladylike and dressed beautifully.

This is a very old post now I'm replying to. My Nan lived next door to the Saywells In Derrydown Road overlooking Perry Hall Park and they did have a cycle shop. Their son was called Brian. Mrs Saywell was very ladylike and dressed beautifully.
Nikcc101 is still around, he was on BHF yesterday so he probably will see your post.

Hello Carolann must have mixed Brian up with someone else I knew. I remember now that you mention it was Brian. Not sure when your Nan lived there but I was born in Dewsbury grove in 45 and left in 70 but my Mother was still there for a number of years. Do you remember the Kearneys who lived on the other side of Derrydown, probably about eight or ten houses up from the entrance to the right of way.

i remember mowing the grass there. and under a tree.was someone sleeping when i was done the person was still asleep so I went up to them he was not asleep. he was .

Hello Carolann must have mixed Brian up with someone else I knew. I remember now that you mention it was Brian. Not sure when your Nan lived there but I was born in Dewsbury grove in 45 and left in 70 but my Mother was still there for a number of years. Do you remember the Kearneys who lived on the other side of Derrydown, probably about eight or ten houses up from the entrance to the right of way.
Hello there, so sorry I didn't reply I had totally missed your response! My Nan & Granddad moved to Derrydown road in 1936/7. Granddad died in 1955 and Nan in 1975. The names Nan used to mention as neighbours were (all known as "Mrs", as it was more formal then): Saywell, Craddock, Breeze, Nongreave, Legge, but one only known by her first name, Louise (Louie) Burford. Mr Craddock next door was a manager at Tucker Eyelet. They had a hexagonal, white dovecote on a stand in their back garden with white doves! They also had a white rabbit, which used to pop through to see us! Lovely views of Perry Hall Park from those houses as they backed on to it.

I think I remember the name Mr Craddock, my father worked at Tuckers in the R&D department. We lived in Glendower Road.

Nearby then! Happy days in the park?! Ice cream in the pavilion, boating lake of course and tadpole and sticklebacks in the stream! Always sunny it seemed! :cool: . Just reading an excellent book about the history of the park, "Perry Hall Yesterdays" by Gerald Stunt. Really interesting.

Back