• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Perry Common Comprehensive School 1964 to 1969

Rippl's first launch was in 1965 to new bridge Wolverhampton. I know because i was their. Mr Neal was head master. For every hour you worked on the boat, you had a hour on the boat as a holiday. When I left school i started as a apprenticeship as a coppersmith. I made a trumpet for the school to use on the narrow boat. Last i heard someone dropped it in the canal.

Rippl's first launch was in 1965 to new bridge Wolverhampton. I know because i was their. Mr Neal was head master. For every hour you worked on the boat, you had a hour on the boat as a holiday. When I left school i started as a apprenticeship as a coppersmith. I made a trumpet for the school to use on the narrow boat. Last i heard someone dropped it in the canal.
You are correct David i was there as well. I spent many happy hours helping to build it, usually on a saturday. I was also there when the ITV came to film us building it. Hello Dave been a long time remember me (bob) Robert Smith we were good friends along with Keith Hodgkins

I taught at Perry Common as a newly qualified pe teacher from 1970 until 1973. I remember taking a group of children on the ribble. I also remember helping to renovate a Welsh chapel as a hostel for school groups. Good fun!!

hi anyone go to perry common comp 64 to 69.
Yes ME! Name Margaret Leatherbarrow I was in Mr Gee's Class~ Green Team.
I'm still in touch with Pauline Randles who was also in my Class.
Haven't seen anyone else from our school in years.

You are correct David i was there as well. I spent many happy hours helping to build it, usually on a saturday. I was also there when the ITV came to film us building it. Hello Dave been a long time remember me (bob) Robert Smith we were good friends along with Keith Hodgkins
Hi our Class 4G went onto the narrowboat and did some wallpapering! painting etc. it was a fun day out for us!
Doubt we got much work done. I was Margaret Leatherbarrow, Pauline Randles and Christina Huddleston, was there too and some of the lads, maybe Tony Hickenbottom? lovely lady teacher we had, but I can't think of her name. Seems ages ago....oh it was lol Mx

Mr Gee was a really good teacher and a nice chap Margo 54. I had him for Economics and History during the early 70s. I remember seeing him in his front garden in Streetly, when I was in my 20's. I said hallo Mr Gee and he replied, "what are you doing here John?" I said that I lived here, rather than answering with the obvious "walking my labrador". ;) I understand that he later became headmaster at the comp and that was a well merited promotion, in my opinion.

Hi John, I too saw Mr Gee in his front Garden, around '72 He lived by my Sister in Hundred Acre Streetly and I popped to fetch my niece from one of his kids parties, he was very friendly, I'd been very shy at school, but he always called me and 2 pals 'members of the chin waggers club' said it that many times that he even shortened it to CWC. He took us for History too, he used to charge around the classroom with his window pole and his black 'cape' flowing.... so funny but always made the lesson interesting, if it weren't for him no way would I remember 'the battle of Banockburn' or Hastings 1066. Lol
He was our Form Teacher too, he was one of the nicest in the School. Mrs Swain was nice too (Cookery) My Sister's Teacher and Mr Bates? (P.E) was my Brothers. I remember he was seen 'smooching' with Miss Titch? (also P.E) I never liked them. When ever I said what School I was at, people were not nice about it, but it was New, we had a pool etc, I think it went downhill over the years maybe. We moved area, so didn't hear much after i left and started work in '69. Nice to have a walk down memory lane isn't it! M.

Meant to comment not copy the post sorry. I was on what was probably the last trip the Ribble took as we went under a bridge too far over and scraped the roof. That must have been about 1975. The hostal was Corris. The head was Mr Neal, deputy Mr Conker and Mr Gee was there for many years…such a character. I can see the faces of many other teachers but names are harder…Miss Howe our lovely form teacher who taught art and took us to Germany, Mr Lapworth, Mrs Sperrin. It had incredible facilities for its day and most of the teachers were committed to giving the children experiences they wouldn’t have otherwise had.

I remember The Ribble too Alwin. I've still got the scar on my right ankle from where i tried to start it's engine ;)! Some more teachers names that come to mind, that you might recall are: Miss Hampshire, Mr "Teddy" Twynhome (History), Mr Mackett (History), Mr McInally (Lower Head), Mr Iddles (Upper Head), Mr Rhodes (Geography), Mr Palmer (Geography), Mr Williams (Rugby), Mr Herbert (Music), Mr Jones (German), Mr Jackson (Chemistry), Mr Broughton, Mr Beale, Mr Leadbetter (Physics), Miss Rankin (Games) and Mr Hawkins (Maths).

I remember The Ribble too Alwin. I've still got the scar on my right ankle from where i tried to start it's engine ;)! Some more teachers names that come to mind, that you might recall are: Miss Hampshire, Mr "Teddy" Twynhome (History), Mr Mackett (History), Mr McInally (Lower Head), Mr Iddles (Upper Head), Mr Rhodes (Geography), Mr Palmer (Geography), Mr Williams (Rugby), Mr Herbert (Music), Mr Jones (German), Mr Jackson (Chemistry), Mr Broughton, Mr Beale, Mr Leadbetter (Physics), Miss Rankin (Games) and Mr Hawkins (Maths).
Oh wow! That great…as soon as I saw the names I could see all the faces. The Ribble got stuck in mud once and a couple of us had to pull it but then we couldn’t get back on and had to walk for miles . Remembering more now…there was Mrs Vacher and Miss Fitch (German)…we went to her wedding! Some kids were mean to Mr Velu (Music) so when we were in the 6th form we formed a choir with him as we felt he deserved a bit of job satisfaction. Miss Hampshire used to yawn all the time and taught us about the Romans. Mr Mackett taught us to make notes, which was really useful, and used to sway back and forth from foot to foot. Mr Jackson had a boil or something on his lip. Mr Donnelly became the head of Upper school I think…he encouraged us to apply for university. What was the physics teacher called. Little bloke with a beard. Never marked our homework but got detention if it was late. Made the girls sit at the back and could only do CSE not O level…outrageous! Mr Neal took me aside and said I shouldn’t do English, French and German A levels as no one can do two language A levels without their heads exploding. I don’t think they were his exact words . Feel very lucky to have had support of some of the lovely teachers.
Great to read your post…thank you!

Mr Jackson had a boil or something on his lip. What was the physics teacher called. Little bloke with a beard. Mr Neal took me aside and said I shouldn’t do English, French and German A levels as no one can do two language A levels without their heads exploding.
It was a boil as I recall it, that led to him making a sucking sound as he finished speaking, but it didn't stop him making loud speaker announcements at the annual swimming gala. Mr Leadbetter was the physics teacher, who was known as "Noggin" and was rather adept at throwing chalk rubbers or pieces of chalk, at members of his class. Mr Neal took me aside a couple of times too (for other reasons ;)).

Back