• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Perry Beeches Secondary School

Hi Michael.

Okay so I left Beeches in 1954, April in fact, and you wouldn't know me. Still, I wonder if the Operetta you saw was performed by the Kynochs Amateur Operatic Group. I am pretty sure Miss Lloyd was a member of that society. I think the venue they often used was the Highbury Theatre in Erdington, but can't be sure about that. Miss Lloyd did have a fantastic voice indeed.

I met an Arthur Browning much later, through a friend of mine, probably in the 80's. The chap I knew had been a rider for the 'Brummies' if I am correct. ,Would this have been the same fellow? He would have been in his 40s; as was I of course! Oh happy days.

Regards
John Walker

Hi John, nice to connect with you. Your absolutely right about Miss Lloyd and it being the KAOG (bit of Line of Duty speak there lol) thank you for reminding me. I should have remembered as my Grandfather was a foreman at the Kynochs works and my mother worked there during WW2. Your also right about Arthur and it was in fact his ex bike that I bought.
Best regards
Michael

Hi John, nice to connect with you. Your absolutely right about Miss Lloyd and it being the KAOG (bit of Line of Duty speak there lol) thank you for reminding me. I should have remembered as my Grandfather was a foreman at the Kynochs works and my mother worked there during WW2. Your also right about Arthur and it was in fact his ex bike that I bought.
Best regards
Michael
I remember the incident at the school assembly well. I thought how clever t was of Mr Caldicott to discover who it was who cheered. I think it was the same occasion but I may recall it differently. I believed that Mr Edge has been announcing that he was obliged to leave our school and go to another, he was very upset and left the stage.
I attend a performance of Die Fleidermous (?) at Kynoch Works with Miss Lloyd singing.
I knew you as Spud and John as the brother of Jean Walker who was in my class. Both of you chaps went into the same profession I think.
I hated every single day at that school and did not prosper until I left.
I am Avril Dixon using my husbands site. I can't register myself as we use the same email address.

Hello Avril nice to hear from you after all this time. Your right about my nickname being Spud and there was a very
good reason for that. Both my parents worked and I was expected to go home after school and peel the potatoes for
tea. When anybody asked me if I wanted to have a game of football or play on the ice slids during the winter months
I had to decline and tell them I couldn't as I had to go home and peel the spuds, hence the name. As far as John and I going into the same profession, I believe John joined the police and I originally did a commercial vehicle apprenticeship as a mechanic and then when I was twenty I joined the military and had a very successful 22 year career followed by a further
ten years as a civil servant. As far as the assembly incident was concerned it was only over him telling us about the Friday
night club affair and they knew it was me all along probably because all those sitting around me looked at me. BTW do you remember Edges favourite saying when he was up on the stage pontificating "Tell your parents what I say".
Take care
Best regards (I do remember you btw)
Michael

Avril is quite correct! Small world Michael. I joined Birmingham Police in October 1965, initially at Kenyon Street. I served 25 years until 'medically cast' in 1990. I was a 'C' Division Dog handler for about 7 years from 1968. We might well have come across each other, as we are around the same age. If you joined the force from Great Barr, you could have been stationed on the A, C or D Divisions. If you joined at 18 and a half, you could well have served longer than me. I did 10 years in the Royal Navy from 1954 - 64, joining at 15 and a half years at HMS Ganges in Suffolk.

I think I have had my fair share of 'benefits' from my police service, but just keep putting one foot in front of the other. Apparently, 5 years was the average survival rate of a Police Officer after retirement! I threw away most of my youth to the RN. I don't regret it, but I should have taken the advice of a Police Superintendent I knew at the time, and gone for the Police Cadets; moving on from there. I would not have had to do National Service then, which was a factor in my choosing the Navy. I didn't want to be a 'Brown-Job' (A Pongo) if I could help it, so I opted for regular service with the RN, despite having to sign for twelve years at the time.

As for Kynochs, my father, Alfred (Fred) Walker worked there throughout the war. Apparently he did present himself at the recruitment centre, but when the Sergeant realised where father worked, the man just said, 'Go home. We can't have you!' Eventually Dad became a member of the 'National Fire Service' and later joned the Kynochs First Aid Force. Lamp-swinging over! There is a Birmingham Force section on the forum by the way, in case you haven't yet come across it.

Make sure you drop all of those locks, the Sarge turned upwards!

Regards
John

Hi John sleight crossed wires there. As you will see from my last post it was in fact the military I joined after my apprenticeship and served 22 years (Oh dear) as a “Pongo” (no offense taken. No doubt you know how the military referred to a PC). Thought about joining the police at the time with a view to joining the Traffic Div (on bikes) after probation, but then the desire to get away from home got the better of me.
Michael

Ah Michael,
No problem. As a matter of fact, I had a good pal in the Argyle & Sutherlands, in Gib when I was there in 1956, so no aspersions on the Army! I was going to sign on for the long haul myself, but met my wife in 1961. The rest is history!

Cheers

John

Last edited:
Hello,
Clifford must have been there at the same time as me, 1962. I started in 1A, I can’t recall his name. It was funny you saying Arty Varty, that came back to me in a flash. I remember most of the teachers names that you mention.
Hi Jeanette, Do you remember Gary Freeth from Perry Beeches School? Kind regards, Sue

Hi Paul , did you live in Aston as a child or ever go to Gower Boys School Lozells for a short time ?
Lived in Anglesey Street, Lozells when I was very young up to about 7 years of age attended Anglesey Street school, then went to Calshot Junior School in Great Barr and later to Perry Beeches Sec School

Mickossie... I noticed you mentioned the Friday Night School Club. That brings back many happy memories. I think that started in 1953-54 while I was at school. I left in '54 and was away from Birmingham for most of '55, '56, and '57, but went to the club once or twice during that time when I was on leave. I enjoyed the club; because I liked dancing, and I also liked one of the girls with whom I'd been at school. I should add we were both rising 18 then, so it was a perk that Edgie granted us I suppose! The last time I visited would have been in 1957. After that the Navy sent me off to Scotland and Malta, so I never got around to visiting again. In any case I had graduated to the ballrooms in Brum, where we danced to such bands as Cliff Deeley, Joe Loss, Ted Heath and The Squadronaires. Well I say danced, but mostly we crowded around the bandstands to cuddle the girls and just listen!
Cheers

John

Hi Jeanette, Do you remember Gary Freeth from Perry Beeches School? Kind regards, Sue
Hi Sue,
Can’t honestly remember the name but maybe I would remember his face. That’s how it was when I studied the school pics that Harry kindly posted. Your name seems to ring a bell with me from my days of living in Great Barr and going to Perry Beeches. I lived in Handsworth until I was 11 years old so I don’t think it was from those days. Take care, Jen.

I found this forum by accident and have spent a wonderful hour or two reading everyone’s memories of Perry beeches. I left in 1966, loved looking at the photograph of Harry’s. I found myself and my future husband and school friends who I have not seen in years. I remember the holiday in Switzerland, how lucky were we to be able to go. I remember the school play ‘She stoops to Conquer’. I was in Beacon house and Mr Evans was house master. I was often in trouble and sent to Miss Lloyd or Mrs Crawford. Friday night club we looked forward to all the week. My Dad always attended parents evening with my mother, it was later I realised he thought we were very lucky to have Miss Lloyd as a teacher, to my mothers annoyance. I cannot believe it was so long ago. Frozen jubilees from the cottage stores 4d.

I found this forum by accident and have spent a wonderful hour or two reading everyone’s memories of Perry beeches. I left in 1966, loved looking at the photograph of Harry’s. I found myself and my future husband and school friends who I have not seen in years. I remember the holiday in Switzerland, how lucky were we to be able to go. I remember the school play ‘She stoops to Conquer’. I was in Beacon house and Mr Evans was house master. I was often in trouble and sent to Miss Lloyd or Mrs Crawford. Friday night club we looked forward to all the week. My Dad always attended parents evening with my mother, it was later I realised he thought we were very lucky to have Miss Lloyd as a teacher, to my mothers annoyance. I cannot believe it was so long ago. Frozen jubilees from the cottage stores 4d.
Hi Penny, I also left in 1966 so I must have known you but regret just can't place the name. Still I hope you are keeping well and enjoying life.

Hi Penny, Lovely that you have found this forum so many interesting topics for you to look at. I left Perry Beeches at Easter time in 1966, I was 15 so didn’t stay on to complete the exams during those years. Were you 15 when you left or were you in a year ahead of me and aged 16? I recognise quite a few faces from Harry’s photos but I can’t readily put a name to a face. Miss Lloyd was very neat wasn’t she? Always looked immaculate. Ah well enjoy the forum, take care, Jen.

Frozen Jubblys? Wow! I used to deliver those in the 1960s; when I had just been demobbed from the RN. The Cottage Stores was on my 'round'. After delivering there, I used to nip home for a quick cuppa! Thanks for the memory Penny.
John

My mother always thought Miss Lloyd was a bit of a 'glamour-puss'; mild criticism in those days. But she changed her 'tune', when she heard Marion Lloyd sing.

I organised a few reunions in the 1990s, ostensibly for the 1950-54 pupils. I last saw Marion when she came to a couple of those, with her husband, at the Cricket Club in Church Lane (or Road) near the Alexander Sports Ground. Sadly she has passed on.

Incidentally, we did have ex-pupils from later years attend, including Jean Shore, who lived near me in the 50s. She had travelled from Canada to be there and it was heart-warming to see her after all those years. I suppose that's why we attend these reunions. :)

Hi Sue,
Can’t honestly remember the name but maybe I would remember his face. That’s how it was when I studied the school pics that Harry kindly posted. Your name seems to ring a bell with me from my days of living in Great Barr and going to Perry Beeches. I lived in Handsworth until I was 11 years old so I don’t think it was from those days. Take care, Jen.
I didn’t attend Perry Beeches school Jen. I was an ‘Ashted’ girl and lived in Gopsal Street until 1967. If you have a sister named Sheila, then it is Sheila that Gary remembers and not yourself. Like the rest of us Gary’s memory of school days is diminishing. The teachers he remembers well though, he had some very good ones, all of them mentioned on here often. Mr Hedge had a bad reputation I hear but he was very kind to him. Apologies for the mix up but it has been a good excuse to post again on the forum. Kind regards, Sue.

I didn’t attend Perry Beeches school Jen. I was an ‘Ashted’ girl and lived in Gopsal Street until 1967. If you have a sister named Sheila, then it is Sheila that Gary remembers and not yourself. Like the rest of us Gary’s memory of school days is diminishing. The teachers he remembers well though, he had some very good ones, all of them mentioned on here often. Mr Hedge had a bad reputation I hear but he was very kind to him. Apologies for the mix up but it has been a good excuse to post again on the forum. Kind regards, Sue.
My goodness me Sue, yes Sheila is my sister. She lives down South now. Does Gary remember Jan and Pam Ball, the twins and Lily Allen? June was another name I remember from the class Sheila was in. Talking about all of this makes it seem as though it was just last week. Don’t apologise for the mix up I love reliving the memories that come from that time. Strange how familiar your name is to me, you must have a namesake somewhere. Take care Jen.

Janet and Pamela Ball lived in yateley Crescent Great Barr and June Holbert and Lily Allen I remember ,I was in the same class as June, Lily and Janet, I also remember Sheila. I love living these memories. I don’t know what happened to any one but I can see their faces now, those memories will never die.

Janet and Pamela Ball lived in yateley Crescent Great Barr and June Holbert and Lily Allen I remember ,I was in the same class as June, Lily and Janet, I also remember Sheila. I love living these memories. I don’t know what happened to any one but I can see their faces now, those memories will never die.
Yes Penny they did live in Yateley Crescent, went to see them there a few times. Jan and me did go out for a night on the town now and again, the Opposite Lock it was. I was about 20 then I think. Then in 1991 Jan and Pam joined up with me and Sheila for a catch up of the years gone by. Yes I can see their faces, didn’t Lily and June live in Perry Barr? I spotted Pam on one of Harry’s school photos. Take care, Jen.

Yes Penny they did live in Yateley Crescent, went to see them there a few times. Jan and me did go out for a night on the town now and again, the Opposite Lock it was. I was about 20 then I think. Then in 1991 Jan and Pam joined up with me and Sheila for a catch up of the years gone by. Yes I can see their faces, didn’t Lily and June live in Perry Barr? I spotted Pam on one of Harry’s school photos. Take care, Jen.

Excuse me butting in to your conversation! I'm fairly sure there was a girl at Birchfield Road Juniors when I was there called June Hulbert (I think it was that - not Holbert?)
If that's the same girl then she would have lived in the Perry Barr area.

Yes Jeannette, they did live in Perry Barr, along with Susan Browning who I think lived in Clivedon Avenue. The surname of June may well of been Hulbert, memory fails going back so far. I remember the opposite lock and the rum runner. When you caught up with the twins I hope they were having a happy life. I didnt keep in touch with anyone from school which was sad, but I had used to see Joy and Pat Smeaton because they lived quite close to my parents. I saw Pam on Harry’s photo but not Janet, I remember Pam playing a part in the school play. It’s lovely chatting to you and sharing memories, Pen

Yes Jeannette, they did live in Perry Barr, along with Susan Browning who I think lived in Clivedon Avenue. The surname of June may well of been Hulbert, memory fails going back so far. I remember the opposite lock and the rum runner. When you caught up with the twins I hope they were having a happy life. I didnt keep in touch with anyone from school which was sad, but I had used to see Joy and Pat Smeaton because they lived quite close to my parents. I saw Pam on Harry’s photo but not Janet, I remember Pam playing a part in the school play. It’s lovely chatting to you and sharing memories, Pen
Lovely chatting to you too. It was by chance that I bumped into Jan when I was about 20. We enjoyed our few nights out. Because she was a couple of years older than me I was a little in awe of her. Jan and Pam were both well when we met up in 1991, we had a few laughs but then we lost touch again. I moved around quite a lot from my late teens to late twenties so I didn’t manage to keep in touch with my class mates. Keep the memories going Pen. Jen.

My goodness me Sue, yes Sheila is my sister. She lives down South now. Does Gary remember Jan and Pam Ball, the twins and Lily Allen? June was another name I remember from the class Sheila was in. Talking about all of this makes it seem as though it was just last week. Don’t apologise for the mix up I love reliving the memories that come from that time. Strange how familiar your name is to me, you must have a namesake somewhere. Take care Jen.
Hi Jen, Little memories are coming back now for Gary. Are you ready for this. Apparently he asked Sheila out, she already had a boyfriend at the time, so the answer was a polite no. It has come back to him about the twins too. Jan and her husband lived close by to us about forty years ago. Of course he recognised Jan. Gary had got to know him through the squash club. He also did some plans for them for their home. Unfortunately, I don’t remember any of this. They moved on many years ago. Isn’t all this amazing Jen. What a small world we live in. I am not from Great Barr but chatting like this about schooldays is amazing. I thank the day I joined our wonderful forum. Kind regards, Sue

Excuse me butting in to your conversation! I'm fairly sure there was a girl at Birchfield Road Juniors when I was there called June Hulbert (I think it was that - not Holbert?)
If that's the same girl then she would have lived in the Perry Barr area.
I couldn’t remember the surname of June but I do remember that she was quite tall. Lily was very attractive I remember. Now you have mentioned Susan Browning, I remember that name too. It’s great isn’t it reading all about our past on this forum. I went by the school a couple of years ago, to say that it was over 50 years ago since I had left it hadn’t really changed much. Jen

Hi Jen, Little memories are coming back now for Gary. Are you ready for this. Apparently he asked Sheila out, she already had a boyfriend at the time, so the answer was a polite no. It has come back to him about the twins too. Jan and her husband lived close by to us about forty years ago. Of course he recognised Jan. Gary had got to know him through the squash club. He also did some plans for them for their home. Unfortunately, I don’t remember any of this. They moved on many years ago. Isn’t all this amazing Jen. What a small world we live in. I am not from Great Barr but chatting like this about schooldays is amazing. I thank the day I joined our wonderful forum. Kind regards, Sue
Great that Gary has some memories coming back of our school days. Yes I thank the day too, I love reading the different posts. No doubt we will keep on chatting.Take care, Jen

Hi Penny, Welcome to the forum.. Gary went out with Joy Smeaton. He was about sixteen. How amazing is all this. So many memories for you all. Kind regards, Sue.

Back