• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Perry Beeches Secondary School

In 1956 Beeches Secondary held a collection (money) event to help raise funds for the Hungarian refugees, following the failed attempt by Hungary to exit the Communist bloc. The highest collection was made by my friend, Howard Fox, who raised about 1000 pounds. A lot of money for that time. He was awarded a radio by the school for his efforts. I remember he tried to test it, without a plug, in the science lab, and shorted out the socket, causing blown fuses in the school!! :)
I remember that very well. The school raised £1760 pounds - yards in a mile is how it was presented by a local Counsellor who came to the school. I collected the most in my class - £144 pounds. Probably the only time I got made to feel proud of myself. I did it by collecting door to door. A child could not do that these days. It must have been instrumental in me doing Charity work in a voluntary basis for most of my life. I usually do fundraising as it get quick rersults.

Last edited:
I remember your family. Your Dad was a military man and suffered with bouts of malaria at odd times. Alan was at Beeches when I was there. He hated it even more than I did. Alan left and went to Birchfield Road and in between times stayed at home for a short while when he changed schools. When I went missing from school - ran away after another bullying episode by teacher George Cox - I hid in your house for most of the day then went home late afternoon. Marion Lloyd came to fetch me. There was quite a performance over it but I got left alone after that.
That's interesting. You're right, Alan hated Beeches Road School. Where did you live? Alan lives in Queensland now. He's had an interesting life, British army, lighthouse keeper, lived in America for a few years. Then back to Australia.
My mum & dad were very happy in Australia too.

If anyone on here was at Dorrington Road Infants circa 1956...before being consigned to Doodleboys Hall (sorry, Perry Beeches), I've just uploaded a picture on a thread I created for Dorrington Road Infants and Juniors. I couldn't find one for the school, so sorry if I've doubled up somewhere along the line.

Mary
I was at Dorrington until 1955. I cant remember any teachers names except Mr Aspinall the head.

That's interesting. You're right, Alan hated Beeches Road School. Where did you live? Alan lives in Queensland now. He's had an interesting life, British army, lighthouse keeper, lived in America for a few years. Then back to Australia.
My mum & dad were very happy in Australia too.
I am Avril. Big John is my husband I pinched his site. Your parent took me to Alans passing out as he invited me. We were just friends with a common hate of Beeches.

Hi everyone, I can name a few on this group photo, it's me top far left, next to me is Watson (can't remember his first name ) we called him Vatson, 5th from the top left is Len ?? think he went on to be a hairdresser in Witton, on top row last on right is Hawkins, the teacher in the middle is Mr Wyatt, he was form teacher and woodwork, also very strict. front row 2nd left think he's David Baker whose mother was school secretary, and on the front row on the right is Clive. I recognise all the faces but the names escape me.Can anyone else identify or confirm these people.cheers Doug Baker
Vic Wyatt was my woodwork teacher at Beeches (1951-54). I thought he was a great craftsman, and he taught me everything I needed to know to make my own furniture. He is my 'mentor' I suppose. I think the teacher at back-right is Mr. Symonds, another woodwork teacher who was much admired by many of the girls! I can't help with names of the pupils, except I think Georgina Chapman might be among them; so long ago now of course. The faces do seem familiar obviously, but names escape me.

Strange coincidence. I bought a house in Dorrington Road, and my daughter went to that school as an infant. That was in the mid 70s.
John

Last edited:
Vic Wyatt was my woodwork teacher at Beeches (1951-54). I thought he was a great craftsman, and he taught me everything I needed to know to make my own furniture. He is my 'mentor' I suppose. I think the teacher at back-right is Mr. Symonds, another woodwork teacher who was much admired by many of the girls! I can't help with names of the pupils, except I think Georgina Chapman might be among them; so long ago now of course. The faces do seem familiar obviously, but names escape me.
John

Strange coincidence. I bought a house in Dorrington Road, and my daughter went to that school as an infant. That was in the mid 70s.
John
I went to Dorrington road infants and juniors. I remember the bench style desks and big white enamel jugs of cocoa. Miss Kirkham was our Headmistress in the Infants Mr Aspinall in the Juniors.

I hope this is okay posted here. It seems I have dropped into the Beeches School thread a little late!
I was there in 1951 to 1954.
'Edgie' was always okay with me, and when I joined the Birmingham Poice in the 1960s, he gave me a great reference..View attachment 156371

Back Row L to R . Janet Rawlings, Peter Worth, Janet Hargreaves, Robert Stevenson, Yvonne Eynon, Roger Wollaston, Gillian Gower (Subsequently School Captain.) Tony Greatrix, (Can’t recall this girl’s name) David Plimmer, Janice Hayward, Brian Arthur.

Front Row. Peter Johnson, Joy Brain, John Walker, Mrs. Bland. David Crathorne (Boys’ Captain) Mr. Edge, Pat Duckitt (Girl’s Captain) Mr. Caldicott, Barbara Wimbush, (Girls’ Vice-Captain) Robin Hales, Pat Roberts.

If we look like a happy bunch, it’s because we were!

John-Boy!
Was that photo taken outside the science lab in the quadrangle I was at Perry Beeches from 69 -74 my brother was at school 62/67

Hi Guys. I came across this site purely by chance and have spent the last 2 hours reading everyones posts which have brought back many memories of my time spent at Perry Beeches 1955-1959 (not all of them happy ones). I do remember most of the teachers mentioned in previous posts but not all the pupils names spring to mind. I do remember the likes of Johnny Baker, Barry Davis, Clive Green, Barry Warburton, Arthur Browning (I bought my first motorbike from the Cottage garage) and Roger Parker. The only girls that I can remember are Jeanette Barr, Shelia Avery, and her mate Ann Rollinson ?. I have to thank Mr McShane for sparking my interest in photography. I remember watching Miss Lloyd in a performance of 'The Pirates of Penzance' can't remember where though. I also agree with a lot of the comments on who were the bullying teachers and who were fair to all. It's true to say that I too trembled outside Mr Edges office on more than one occasion although it would be fair to say that I wasn't always the one guilty (honest) of the alleged offence. I believe the worst offence I ever committed was to utter an exclamation in assembly when Mr Edge was telling us all about how some ex pupils had decided to wreck the previous Friday nights school club meeting. Edge went puice and demanded that whoever made the noise should stand up. Needless to say I was too scared to do so. He stormed off the stage leaving Mr Caldicott to carry on. He proceeded to ask eveyone sat behind the boy who made the noise to stand up then sit down. He then asked everyone in front of the boy who made the noise to stand up and then sit down. He then did the same to those to my left and then my right. He told me to stand up and asked me which direction the noise came from "OR WAS IT ME".
The outcome was that I got the cane and had to stand up in front of the whole school at 4pm and apologise for being a naughty boy. I wonder how many of you can remember that incident ? I was known by my first name then Bernard.
Take care folks
Michael Burton

Hi Guys. I came across this site purely by chance and have spent the last 2 hours reading everyones posts which have brought back many memories of my time spent at Perry Beeches 1955-1959 (not all of them happy ones). I do remember most of the teachers mentioned in previous posts but not all the pupils names spring to mind. I do remember the likes of Johnny Baker, Barry Davis, Clive Green, Barry Warburton, Arthur Browning (I bought my first motorbike from the Cottage garage) and Roger Parker. The only girls that I can remember are Jeanette Barr, Shelia Avery, and her mate Ann Rollinson ?. I have to thank Mr McShane for sparking my interest in photography. I remember watching Miss Lloyd in a performance of 'The Pirates of Penzance' can't remember where though. I also agree with a lot of the comments on who were the bullying teachers and who were fair to all. It's true to say that I too trembled outside Mr Edges office on more than one occasion although it would be fair to say that I wasn't always the one guilty (honest) of the alleged offence. I believe the worst offence I ever committed was to utter an exclamation in assembly when Mr Edge was telling us all about how some ex pupils had decided to wreck the previous Friday nights school club meeting. Edge went puice and demanded that whoever made the noise should stand up. Needless to say I was too scared to do so. He stormed off the stage leaving Mr Caldicott to carry on. He proceeded to ask eveyone sat behind the boy who made the noise to stand up then sit down. He then asked everyone in front of the boy who made the noise to stand up and then sit down. He then did the same to those to my left and then my right. He told me to stand up and asked me which direction the noise came from "OR WAS IT ME".
The outcome was that I got the cane and had to stand up in front of the whole school at 4pm and apologise for being a naughty boy. I wonder how many of you can remember that incident ? I was known by my first name then Bernard.
Take care folks
Michael Burton
Hello Micheal. If you’ve read the posts on this thread I won’t bang on about my dislike for edge. I started in 1957 but missed the 3rd year and finished in June 1960 at 14 years of age. Miss Lloyd was my form teacher in 59/60 but as I’d missed the 3rd year I was totally out of my depth for my final year which resulted in extremely bad School reports and my dislike for the headmaster as he had no interest in any child unless they failed to meet his standards.

Hi Michael.

Okay so I left Beeches in 1954, April in fact, and you wouldn't know me. Still, I wonder if the Operetta you saw was performed by the Kynochs Amateur Operatic Group. I am pretty sure Miss Lloyd was a member of that society. I think the venue they often used was the Highbury Theatre in Erdington, but can't be sure about that. Miss Lloyd did have a fantastic voice indeed.

I met an Arthur Browning much later, through a friend of mine, probably in the 80's. The chap I knew had been a rider for the 'Brummies' if I am correct. ,Would this have been the same fellow? He would have been in his 40s; as was I of course! Oh happy days.

Regards
John Walker

Hi John, nice to connect with you. Your absolutely right about Miss Lloyd and it being the KAOG (bit of Line of Duty speak there lol) thank you for reminding me. I should have remembered as my Grandfather was a foreman at the Kynochs works and my mother worked there during WW2. Your also right about Arthur and it was in fact his ex bike that I bought.
Best regards
Michael

Hi John, nice to connect with you. Your absolutely right about Miss Lloyd and it being the KAOG (bit of Line of Duty speak there lol) thank you for reminding me. I should have remembered as my Grandfather was a foreman at the Kynochs works and my mother worked there during WW2. Your also right about Arthur and it was in fact his ex bike that I bought.
Best regards
Michael
I remember the incident at the school assembly well. I thought how clever t was of Mr Caldicott to discover who it was who cheered. I think it was the same occasion but I may recall it differently. I believed that Mr Edge has been announcing that he was obliged to leave our school and go to another, he was very upset and left the stage.
I attend a performance of Die Fleidermous (?) at Kynoch Works with Miss Lloyd singing.
I knew you as Spud and John as the brother of Jean Walker who was in my class. Both of you chaps went into the same profession I think.
I hated every single day at that school and did not prosper until I left.
I am Avril Dixon using my husbands site. I can't register myself as we use the same email address.

Hello Avril nice to hear from you after all this time. Your right about my nickname being Spud and there was a very
good reason for that. Both my parents worked and I was expected to go home after school and peel the potatoes for
tea. When anybody asked me if I wanted to have a game of football or play on the ice slids during the winter months
I had to decline and tell them I couldn't as I had to go home and peel the spuds, hence the name. As far as John and I going into the same profession, I believe John joined the police and I originally did a commercial vehicle apprenticeship as a mechanic and then when I was twenty I joined the military and had a very successful 22 year career followed by a further
ten years as a civil servant. As far as the assembly incident was concerned it was only over him telling us about the Friday
night club affair and they knew it was me all along probably because all those sitting around me looked at me. BTW do you remember Edges favourite saying when he was up on the stage pontificating "Tell your parents what I say".
Take care
Best regards (I do remember you btw)
Michael

Avril is quite correct! Small world Michael. I joined Birmingham Police in October 1965, initially at Kenyon Street. I served 25 years until 'medically cast' in 1990. I was a 'C' Division Dog handler for about 7 years from 1968. We might well have come across each other, as we are around the same age. If you joined the force from Great Barr, you could have been stationed on the A, C or D Divisions. If you joined at 18 and a half, you could well have served longer than me. I did 10 years in the Royal Navy from 1954 - 64, joining at 15 and a half years at HMS Ganges in Suffolk.

I think I have had my fair share of 'benefits' from my police service, but just keep putting one foot in front of the other. Apparently, 5 years was the average survival rate of a Police Officer after retirement! I threw away most of my youth to the RN. I don't regret it, but I should have taken the advice of a Police Superintendent I knew at the time, and gone for the Police Cadets; moving on from there. I would not have had to do National Service then, which was a factor in my choosing the Navy. I didn't want to be a 'Brown-Job' (A Pongo) if I could help it, so I opted for regular service with the RN, despite having to sign for twelve years at the time.

As for Kynochs, my father, Alfred (Fred) Walker worked there throughout the war. Apparently he did present himself at the recruitment centre, but when the Sergeant realised where father worked, the man just said, 'Go home. We can't have you!' Eventually Dad became a member of the 'National Fire Service' and later joned the Kynochs First Aid Force. Lamp-swinging over! There is a Birmingham Force section on the forum by the way, in case you haven't yet come across it.

Make sure you drop all of those locks, the Sarge turned upwards!

Regards
John

Hi John sleight crossed wires there. As you will see from my last post it was in fact the military I joined after my apprenticeship and served 22 years (Oh dear) as a “Pongo” (no offense taken. No doubt you know how the military referred to a PC). Thought about joining the police at the time with a view to joining the Traffic Div (on bikes) after probation, but then the desire to get away from home got the better of me.
Michael

Ah Michael,
No problem. As a matter of fact, I had a good pal in the Argyle & Sutherlands, in Gib when I was there in 1956, so no aspersions on the Army! I was going to sign on for the long haul myself, but met my wife in 1961. The rest is history!

Cheers

John

Last edited:
Hello,
Clifford must have been there at the same time as me, 1962. I started in 1A, I can’t recall his name. It was funny you saying Arty Varty, that came back to me in a flash. I remember most of the teachers names that you mention.
Hi Jeanette, Do you remember Gary Freeth from Perry Beeches School? Kind regards, Sue

Hi Paul , did you live in Aston as a child or ever go to Gower Boys School Lozells for a short time ?
Lived in Anglesey Street, Lozells when I was very young up to about 7 years of age attended Anglesey Street school, then went to Calshot Junior School in Great Barr and later to Perry Beeches Sec School

Back