• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Perry Beeches Secondary School

Don't remember London but I did go to the camp school for a week I think it was in Herefordshire & my parents saved up weekly & I went Switzerland Lucerne 10 days eating rubber local cheese & Ham but had a good time I rember a big locust on my bed lol we had good days & bad but generally I enjoyed school

Yes pie & chips was a luxury or a fish supper in the early 60s can remember a Shilling Fish & 6d of chips great days lol

Hi thanks for the replies. I don't think Mr Edge was at Aldridge, at least I was at Perry Beeches 1962-67 and he was there all that time. Carrot haired, red faced, and a caliper on his leg as I remember. Didn't like him much. I was in classes 1A,2A,3A, and 4 something or other.

Mr Evans I remember fondly, one of the several Welsh teachers there for some reason- Miss Lloyd Music, Mr Jones Physics. But my particular favourite was Scottish, my English teacher Mr P J McShane. He was brilliant and very fair, always wore a chocolate brown 3 piece suit and looked ancient, but probably only in his late 50's. I hope he knew what a good teacher he was.

Years later I met a teacher from after my time and she said it was well known as being one of the worst schools in Birmingham at the time.
Regards
Maryd

Hello Maryd:

I think you'll find Mr. Edge was never at Aldridge Road School. He came from Nechells School, in1951 when he got his Headship, and took over the old Beeches Seniors Department, when it reopened in 1951. The buildings had been occupied by the Civil Defence Authority during the conflict; so they hung on there a bit!

I went to Beeches Road, from the start under Miss Poxon (Maybe Pogson) and I did get her ebony, octagonal rule whacked across my knuckles for squirting water from the drinking fountain all over the bathroom!! I went on to be 'imprisoned' under Mr. Waterton, in the Juniors, and made the acquaintance of Mr. Hood's blackboard rule! Happy days? Well not too bad. Mr. Hood was okay, and liked to recount his exploits with the Parachute Regiment! Which I suspect weren't true!

Mr. Edge was fish of a different kettle! Never did me any harm whatsoever. I joined Beeches Seniors in 1951 from Birchfield Road School in Perry Barr, and I was mightily glad to get back to the 'countryside' again!

I left school altogether i April 1954 and I am now almost 82. I have a pretty good memory; so if I can help. only too pleased.

John Walker; Still in Great Barr

Hello Maryd:

I think you'll find Mr. Edge was never at Aldridge Road School.

John Walker; Still in Great Barr
I was at the Aldridge Road school from 1945 until 1947 and Mr Edge was definitely there. He is in a pic I posted in the link below ... just to the right of the admission notice ...:)

I use Friends reunited to find out about teachers and I was told Miss Lloyde (Mrs Every) is no longer with us.
The teachers would say to me 'I hope you're not like your brother'! lol
Mr I'ento Evans (I think thats how you spell his name?)
Mr Coldicote, Mr Hall & Mr Varty (art teacher).
Barr, Beacon, Queslett, School & Tower. I was in Queslett, my brother was in Beacon.
Oh, the good ole days!

Hi Alan.

I was at Beeches Seniors from 1951 to 1954. In Barr House (Green) . I must have been pre Mr. Varty. but Mrs. Every (Marion Lloyd) I do remember. My word, could she sing! Fantastic soprano voice. Mr. Edge got her to sing to a recording of Gilbert and Sullivan's 'The Sun Who's Rays', Yum-Yum's aria from 'The Mikado'. She drowned out the singer on the record! Absolutely fantastic. I could never sing opera, but she got me interested in singing, and I earned a bit when I was in the RN, finding talent contests. Never did better than seconds mind! Lol!

I also remember Mr. Caldicott. he was a diamond. he told me I was too much a gentleman to be a real footballer! Maybe he was right!

Happy days.

John Walker

Thank You old Mohawk..
I have lost my place in this thread, so i reply here.
I didn't realise Edgie had been at Aldridge Road. So thanks for updating my knowledge.
Do you know by chance who was headmaster at Aldridge Road, around the time there were POWs working on the prefabs in Delhurst Road? I can't meet him now of course, but I would like to!

Thanks John Walker

Amazing how these memories stay with us......
Mr Newell anounced to the class that i was not the type he wanted in his class because i,d come 33rd out of 34.
(Sure did a lot for ones self esteem and confidence which at 12 i lacked)
Mr Ford..Woodwork also demonstrated my coat rack announcing to the class the gaps in the ill fitting joints were where the flies hid in winter......
Were we not all just Bricks in the Wall?

Mr Edge had a pretty well-honed ability to humiliate. I recall one fellow pupil who was a 'Walter Mitty' type; a romancer. Mr. Edge saw him as a liar! He really laid on the humiliation. I felt sorry for the pupil.

Mr. Newel was responsible for teaching me to dance; a social skill that helped me find my wife in the sixties. Eternally grateful for that!

I am going into nostalgic overdrive! Brakes on!

John

Hi oldplumber. I don't know any of those names you listed, but some of the surnames are familiar. Gillian Nash, Greathead is definitely familiar, as is Sheila Pointon. Might they be younger relatives, as I know people didn't stray far from home in those days.

I was at Beeches School from 1945 to 1950. Went to Birchfield Road then until 1951, when I came back to Beeches Seniors until 1954.

Does anyone recall Anne Tunney, David March, Kenny March and Pat March all from Calshot Road? I wonder? The March siblings were my second cousins, and Anne was one of their friends. I was nuisance 10 year old then!

John Walker

Norman Jewel is in both pics in the thread 'Grindleford Road Kids WW2 Germans on our Play Field'. In the top pic he is immediately to the right of the girl. In the bottom pic he is second from right sitting down.

I walked round to Bradfield Rd to see the bomb damage and remember seeing a bed in a bedroom with walls missing. I mentioned one of my bomb experiences in the thread 'Air Raid Shelters'.

I joined the ATC and the meetings were held in a hut opposite the Clifton Cinema. Being in the ATC got me into the RAF when I was called up for National Service.

A pic of the Beeches Estate being built is shown in a thread click/here.

Just a query have you got any old photos from those times to upload ?

Being in the ATC near Tower Hill;
got me and my fellow members into the Clifton Cinema free, to see 'Sound Barrier'. God how long ago was that!

John

Thank You old Mohawk..
I have lost my place in this thread, so i reply here.
I didn't realise Edgie had been at Aldridge Road. So thanks for updating my knowledge.
Do you know by chance who was headmaster at Aldridge Road, around the time there were POWs working on the prefabs in Delhurst Road? I can't meet him now of course, but I would like to!

Thanks John Walker
The headmaster during my time was Mr Locker.
I left after I passed the entrance exam for Handsworth Tech and actually waved the acceptance letter in the face of a teacher named Derry as I walked out of the school for the last time. He had favourites and used them to bully others!

I am posting on here on behalf of my father, Clive Ellingworth, who was at Perry Beeches from 1952 to 1956, (he is now 73). He also has very bad memories of Mr Edge and my sister and I have been aware from a very young age of how badly he treated our father. Apparently Edge singled him out on his first day at Perry Beeches as my father's elder brother hadn't been a model student. My father's card was therefore marked, quite unfairly, from that day forward. Dad has asked me to upload the following photograph, (he is in the front row, first on the right), and to ask if anyone can help him name the other students as he is struggling to remember them all?View attachment 98023

JJ

Is that Mr. Wyatt the woodwork teacher in the centre? It looks like him.And was Mr Weald, the music teacher also in this picture?
I left the school in April, 1954, so maybe some of the pupils in that picture might remember me. I can't see any pupils I recall, and if this was 1956, I wouldn't of course!
If it helps, I was School Vice Captain (Boys of course), Barbara Wimbush was the Girls Vice-Captain. Maybe some of the pupils here might recall those names.

John Walker.

The headmaster during my time was Mr Locker.
I left after I passed the entrance exam for Handsworth Tech and actually waved the acceptance letter in the face of a teacher named Derry as I walked out of the school for the last time. He had favourites and used them to bully others!
That sounds about right Mohawk.
My memory of time is sketchy here but it was around 1948. The head of Aldridge Road grabbed me by the ear one morning, on my way to school. He frog-marched me into my school and took me to Mr. Waterton and complained he had caught me 'Fraternising with the enemy'. I kid you not.

He had seen me talking to one of the prisoners whom I had got to know pretty well. I was around nine years old, and the war had been over almost 4 years then. It wasn't as if they were Germans. They were mostly middle aged Italians as I recall. I knew I shouldn't have been talking to the man, but for heaven's sake!

I didn't get caned, but Waterton dragged me up in front of the school in assembly, and proceeded to harrangue me in front of one and all! Beetle-browed dullard he was!

John

I'm re-posting the picture taken of Upper 3a in 1957-8 year. If anyone recognizes themselves, please post. Apologies if I have mis-named anyone or forgotten their ??names.View attachment 134579
Hi Graham. The lad sitting on the left of Mr. McShane... David Standley. Did he have an older brother, John Standley? He sure looks a lot like the John I remember.

John Walker (Edgies Warriors 1951-54!)

I unearthed this picture from around 1952/53. This was the group photo of the House Captains, and Prefects at the time.

It might be a bit early for most, as we were all of the first intake when the school re-opened in 1951, I know most of the names, but if you know any have a go! I am in the front row, third from the left, next to Mrs. Bland, asst. Head.

John Walker
View attachment 150874

Last edited:
I unearthed this picture from around 1952/53. This was the group photo of the House Captains, and Prefects at the time.

It might be a bit early for most, as we were all of the first intake when the school re-opened in 1951, I know most of the names, but if you know any have a go! I am in the front row, next to Mrs. Bland, asst. Head. If you think we look a happy crew, that's because we were.

John Walker
View attachment 150874

Attachments

• Beechespic.jpg
    Beechespic.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Hi Jenny, Oh Needlework classes, Mrs Baker - I hated it. She was horrible to me because I was no good at it I suppose. I couldn't change the bobbin on the sewing machine and I remember her saying "nobody help her!" horrible woman. I did in fact invent the mini-skirt though, about 6 months early, when I forgot to allow for the hem!!!! Maybe Mary Quant saw my design and I'm due some money?!
You really need to control language on sites like this. I am Mrs Baker’s son
You should know she got some of the first ever qualifications at O level to come out of that school. She was a volunteer in WW2 for the post office (Dad was at war) and later qualified as a teacher at night school while bringing up 3 kids. She designed and made the costumes for the Gilbert and Sullivan shows of that time and was highly regarded by the staff. She had many letters of thanks from ex pupils when and after she retired. She is no longer with us but I’m sure she would accept your apology.

You really need to control language on sites like this. I am Mrs Baker’s son
You should know she got some of the first ever qualifications at O level to come out of that school. She was a volunteer in WW2 for the post office (Dad was at war) and later qualified as a teacher at night school while bringing up 3 kids. She designed and made the costumes for the Gilbert and Sullivan shows of that time and was highly regarded by the staff. She had many letters of thanks from ex pupils when and after she retired. She is no longer with us but I’m sure she would accept your apology.
One can only speak from personal experience and to me she was horrible and made me dread going to her class. She was the only teacher who made me feel like that. To others, who liked the subject, maybe she was different.

I
I am re-opening this thread after discussion by the moderation team.
Please be assured we moderate these threads very carefully for harmful content but these posts are the personal, school-day recollections of individual members. Sometimes negative aspects are reported and we’re sorry if some disagree with them.

Viv.

Last edited:
One can only speak from personal experience and to me she was horrible and made me dread going to her class. She was the only teacher who made me feel like that. To others, who liked the subject, maybe she was different.
I had Mrs Baker for needlework and yes if you didn't grasp the subject you saw her exasperation I was a lucky one I could sew and one of my fabric pictures was hung in the school and I helped with putting together some of the costumes for the schools productions and even today I can hear her saying how to listen to the scissors cut on a flat surface is how you know you have them in your hand correctly and how to pin a pattern piece so the fabric doesn't pucker

Back